Any procedures (amp reset/speaker dynamics/speaker compression/etc) to follow after importing (Pre-Cygnus) presets after updating to Cygnus?

SinglecutGuy

Inspired
I apologize if this has been discussed in any of the multiple Cygnus firmware threads. I've read bits and pieces through many of them, and I'm just left a little confused.

There have been significant break-throughs in the last year with Fractal firmware, and the notable ones are the additions throughout firmwares 15-16. Through this, I've read many stories of love for the new "Output Transformer Modeling", "Speaker Compression", "Speaker Drive" and of course the new "Cygnus" modeling technology.

Here's my scenario: I just bought a new Axe III MKii and sold my original Axe III, so I still have a tons of presets that need imported. I did a backup of my Axe III on one of the Beta firmwares, but just also upgraded my "stock" Axe III MKii to 16.00. I have most of the presets that I've purchased, made, and downloaded, stored in a folder. I'd like to start importing them as needed. I don't necessarily want to import the full backup, I like the idea of starting fresh and only pulling in the presets I need.

When importing a preset that was made with PRE-Cygnus software, are there any procedures that need followed to adjust or reset those presets in regards to the newer features that the last new firmware updates have provided, once importing them into an Axe III that is running 16.00? Or does 16.00 automatically add or make adjustments to the newer features added in 16.00. Other things to consider in this scenario?

Thanks in advance for help!

Hi @SinglecutGuy

Yes! I did a little experimenting and found a procedure here...

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/tip-of-the-hat-to-fractool.172033/

Also, the new axe edit has a tool that will reset all amp parameters except authentic. That may help too. Results vary based on the presets.
Thanks
Pauly

I apologize if this has been discussed in any of the multiple Cygnus firmware threads. I've read bits and pieces through many of them, and I'm just left a little confused.

There have been significant break-throughs in the last year with Fractal firmware, and the notable ones are the additions throughout firmwares 15-16. Through this, I've read many stories of love for the new "Output Transformer Modeling", "Speaker Compression", "Speaker Drive" and of course the new "Cygnus" modeling technology.

Here's my scenario: I just bought a new Axe III MKii and sold my original Axe III, so I still have a tons of presets that need imported. I did a backup of my Axe III on one of the Beta firmwares, but just also upgraded my "stock" Axe III MKii to 16.00. I have most of the presets that I've purchased, made, and downloaded, stored in a folder. I'd like to start importing them as needed. I don't necessarily want to import the full backup, I like the idea of starting fresh and only pulling in the presets I need.

When importing a preset that was made with PRE-Cygnus software, are there any procedures that need followed to adjust or reset those presets in regards to the newer features that the last new firmware updates have provided, once importing them into an Axe III that is running 16.00? Or does 16.00 automatically add or make adjustments to the newer features added in 16.00. Other things to consider in this scenario?

Thanks in advance for help!

After updating, i did the settings-> reset after FW update. Do i need to reset the patches individually?

Thanks all.

@pauly that makes sense as an initial procedure, but say I pull in older presets down the road, or even purchase one that hasn't been updated for Cygnus, I'm left wondering what to do there. Doing that full reset option again, wouldn't that affect changes that I would have presumably made?

@pauly that makes sense as an initial procedure, but say I pull in older presets down the road, or even purchase one that hasn't been updated for Cygnus, I'm left wondering what to do there. Doing that full reset option again, wouldn't that affect changes that I would have presumably made?
Maybe just don't reset older presets, just the new ones you pull in? Just don't select them in the preset browser when you're going to do the reset.

Hi again,

As I mentioned - results will vary, depending on the changes made to the preset.
For example, I reset all my presets using axe edit, and some sounded great, and others like crap....it just depends on what was changed to give the preset it's magic. If you created the preset yourself, youll know what was changed, but if it's someone elses - well.. try it and see

Thanks
Pauly

Back
Top Bottom