Any portcity cab users with the Axe?

webstersp

Inspired
Any opinions on the 2x12 or OS 2x12 portcity cab with the AxeFX?
I am not looking for an frfr cab, just need to buy a 2x12 cab and want to know
axe users opinions about these cabs.

I was going to order an avatar contemporary but someone told me that the portcity 2x12 cab were sounding like any 4x12. Another plus is that the portcity have a top handle and the 2x12 weight 46lbs compared to 65lbs and only side handle for the avatar 2x12.

I have a port city 2x12 with v30's. I've been trying to sell it since I moved onto the axe. It sounded almost as good as my bogner 4x12 with v30's. The low end was a little tighter with the bogner though. Great cab. I havent tried it with my Axe though. I'm asking $500 for the port city + shipping if you're interested.

I'm still interested but I saw thath they sell this cab in a store in montreal (boutiquetone).
I'll go try them next week. Wich speakers are in your cab?

Wich speakers are in your cab?

I have a port city 2x12 with v30's. I've been trying to sell it since I moved onto the axe. It sounded almost as good as my bogner 4x12 with v30's. The low end was a little tighter with the bogner though. Great cab. I havent tried it with my Axe though. I'm asking $500 for the port city + shipping if you're interested.

;)

I use a port city 2x12 OS cab with V30's with my axe. I have two, both wired stereo/mono (one I converted, one Daniel made for me that way). I think they sound great. They don't have a particular quirk in terms of being "bottomy" or scooped, just a nice full sound across the board with great low-end breath in a light package. (And they do produce as much on the bottom as many 4x12's). The greatest thing about them is that, due to the port structure, you really can hear them clearly from a couple of feet away onstage without putting them on a table or a stand, which was why I tried them and liked them. I don't like hauling a 4x12, but 2x12s usually blow the sound past your knees, causing you to turn up too loud. These don't, you can really hear them. I do recommend the OS, just to get things up a little higher, and you can see the axe's screen better on it, you have to bend over a bit too much on a standard 2x12.

Daniel will make one stereo/mono for $50 extra. If you intend to run mono, I guess that's not an issue. FYI he may be considering making some deeper ones soon. Normally they are about 12" deep, he's considering making some 14" deep ones, which might be interesting since a rack fits a little better on a deeper cab. But the rack holding my axe fits fine on the ones I have so that's not a big deal.

I don't think you'll be disappointed, they are truly some of the best sounding cabs I've ever heard, and I've gone thru lots of gear.

Last edited:
I went from this:

AxeFXRig.jpg

to this:

portcitystack.jpg

I used a mesa recto 4x12 on stage and the stacked 2x12s in the studio, sound was similar. A little less boxy and better stereo separation with the stacked 2x12s, but still that scoopy recto sound. The port citys have just as much bottom, but a smoother frequency response. I stacked them for fun, I can't imaging using both onstage. I keep one in the rehearsal studio and one in the trailer. I love the top-mounted recessed handle, they are very easy to move around. I put removable casters on them but they don't need it.

Last edited:
I would like to have one G12T75 and one V'30 like in the Bogner Uberkab.
If I buy the cab unloaded, is it easy to install the speakers i want in it?

I've decided to get at least 1 Port City cab. I'm trying to decide if I want a 1x12 os, a 2x12 os, or 2 1x12 os's. Where I play the vast majority of my music is in my bedroom. Whatever cab I choose will be up on a wood stand/table that is at least 4.5 feet tall. If I get the 1x12 it would fit on the top with no overhang on the ends. If I get the 2x12 it would hang off on each end. Would the 2x12 sound ok that way? I mean without sitting on the rubber feet? I'm also worried about only having the 1 60 watt vintage 30. I have the Rocktron Velocity 300. Any thoughts?

If you don't care about stereo the 1x12 is fine, especially the OS. I have a friend running two 1x12 OS cabs with two Bogner heads (ecstasy and shiva). Sounds huge.

I considered mismatched speakers but went with V30's for now, since I already had a spare set and I want the same thing in the rehearsal studio that I use onstage so my tone will be consistent.

It's extremely easy to load your own speakers, I bought one of my cabs unloaded and had it put together in minutes. Just pop the back off and screw them in. The cab will come with the mounting screws and the wires I believe.

You shouldn't hurt a V30 with a Velocity 300 unless you play balls to the wall loud, or hit it with blasts of square-wave feedback, unlikely in a bedroom. I'm running a Velocity 300 into the 2x12 and I can pretty much dime the system. But gig volume tends to be with the Velocity about 3/4 and the axe at about 10 o'clock (11 for really loud) if I run stereo 8 ohms per side. At 4 ohms per side a little lower, 9-10 o'clock.

Personally I'd go 2x12 stereo/ mono (in fact I did). My solution to the cabinet hanging off the end of the table would be to install 4 more rubber feet, closer together. Couple of bucks at a hardware store. On the other hand, 2 1x12 OS's gives you the option of going stereo but also being able to just haul one smaller cab if you want.

Last edited:
Just regular speaker clips that slide on. They are already there on the provided wires. You can buy the wire and the slide-on connectors in any hardware store also, but the jack plate has wires attached. Just make sure you know how to wire parallel versus series, depending on what you want the impedence to be. (Not an issue in a 1x12 cab obviously).

If you go stereo/mono, the jack plate has the wires for each speaker already there. You just attach a hot and cold wire to each speaker (on the + and - terminals) and the jack plate does the routing for you. Very easy. The advantage to stereo/mono is you get both modes. If you don't care about stereo now, you might later, so with the stereo/mono jack plate you get both.

Remember, if you want a mono 8 ohm 2x12 cabinet, you are going to need two 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel. If you want stereo/mono, you will need 8 ohm speakers, so the cab can be 8 ohms per side stereo and either 4 or 16 ohms mono. (The velocity pushes way more air at 4 ohms, by the way! I don't know if you can run it 4 ohms when it's bridged, you might want to check, but you can just use one side if need be).

Last edited:
Shipping from portcity amps for the 2x12 cab lod or unload is the same so I may buy it loaded anyway.
The local shop that had the portcity cabs doen't seem to have them anymore. :(

Jojo

Thanks for the heads up jojo. rig looks great, gotta get an OS212 to load with my EVM12L's.
Saving....
And I really need a rolling roadcase for it
Saving more...

Last edited:
I went with a Tuki cover (75$ from port city) and some slide-out casters. Road cases are just too damned heavy (unless someone else is moving your stuff...).

Back
Top Bottom