Any other band's like King's X?

Will Chen

Experienced
I've been a long, long time fan of King's X. Something about their unique blend of dUg's gospel inspired vocals in a hard rock semi-prog setting with Ty's playing just speaks to me on a deep level. I realize they are pretty niche, but for years I've wondered if there are some younger bands inspired by them. Certainly, I'm not their only fan as over the years their shows have been packed. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm aware of Galactic Cowboys and Atomic Opera, all under the Sam Taylor/Wilde Silas umbrella, but outside some of the backup vocal arrangements neither truly scratch that itch.

Last edited:
Ty's other band Jellyjam is pretty good, J Myung from Dream Theater on bass and Rod Morgenstein from the Dixie Dregs and Winger on drums.

Galactic Cowboys-Space in your Face is the only CD by them I liked. More like Metallica meets King X.

Ty's other band Jellyjam is pretty good, J Myung from Dream Theater on bass and Rod Morgenstein from the Dixie Dregs and Winger on drums.

Galactic Cowboys-Space in your Face is the only CD by them I liked. More like Metallica meets King X.

Yeah, I've listened to all Ty's and dUg's side projects as well. Poundhound was closer to what I've been looking for (since it's 2/3 of King's X, makes sense) but I really liked the Platypus stuff as well, but none really match the magic of them together.

FYI, Will I've seen you around all the forums for years. You always give fair and honest assessment of gear. It's always worth reading🙏

Thanks so much! My "gear" has been reduced to the FM3 and a Strandberg at this point!

Too bad this album never came out...

"The Apex" featuring Fractal Audio endorser Shem Von Schroeck (ex Toto, Kenny Loggins, etc.)

Oh damn! That preview sounds very nice.

You must have been living under a rock :D First album is best imo.

The one from 2001? Still kinda surprised these guys completely slipped under my radar with such a long career.

24/7 spyz are really underrated. Very great band if you like king’s X living color etc

OMG, totally forgot about these guys! Way more Living Colour than King's X but thanks for jogging my memory.

The one from 2001? Still kinda surprised these guys completely slipped under my radar with such a long career.

OMG, totally forgot about these guys! Way more Living Colour than King's X but thanks for jogging my memory.
1997. In Loving Memory.

Back
Top Bottom