Any Luddites here?

axepilot

Inspired
My Axe FX Standard is loaded with 7.04. I have my patches dialed in perfectly for me and I want no more from it for right now.

I play gigs with my Axe FX. With all of the shifting sands with the editor and such, I fear I will lose what I have if I update the firmware.

Am I alone and a Luddite?

Just curious.

What does it hurt to upgrade, and just reload the other stuff if you don't like it?

And if you had firmware 2.x, I'd call you a luddite, 7.x not so much.

Either way, ENJOY!

I don't think anyone running an Axe-FX can be considered a Luddite. I can steer you to other forums for that. ;)

If you have a MIDI interface and the editor (or a SYSEX program) you can backup your 7xx patches and you can always downgrade back to 7.xx if you decide 8xx isn't for you. You may have to do some tweaking to your patches in 8xx, especially if you use a lot of drive pedals but who knows you may like them even more after words.

I say go for it!

And then tell me how it works out... I haven't upgraded yet. :)

Let me just say that I just updated from early 6 point something to 8.2 WOW! What a difference!!!....if you think the Axe sounds realistic now...wait til you upgrade...the added improvements were worth it sonically and control wise. Do the truffle shuffle...come on..do it! :p

I've had preamps that I played for years without updating, and I've been happy with their tone.

Those were tube preamps, but what's the difference, if you play and it sounds good? Don't feel pressed, follow your heart ;)

hunter said:
I've had preamps that I played for years without updating, and I've been happy with their tone.

Those were tube preamps, but what's the difference, if you play and it sounds good? Don't feel pressed, follow your heart ;)

me too before i discovered the secrets of tubes - now i have a drawer full of them and its´amazing to change the tone just exchange them, even preamp tubes....

The advantage of the Axe is you can do that without burning your fingers ;)

I'll cop to being a Luddite. I struggled a lot with being an analog guy in a digital world, being a Midiot etc. My understanding is that if you up date the firmware your patches should stay although they will need to be adjusted. The drive blocks will be different and the "air" in the speaker sims will need to be adjusted... As long as you do not down load the new banks your presets should stay put. I found that out the hard way and wrote over all my pre sets.

hunter said:

+1

Still around 6.10 and love my tone the way it is.

Isn't this exact topic being discussed in another thread?

Every update brought some tonal improvements for me. Some updates were minor some were really major ... I bought mine with v3.18 on it. :?

When v7 was released - I stopped thinking about the amps - AxeFX become an amp for me. I also ditched a VHT 2/90/2 in the favor of Carvin DCM600 solid state poweramp once v7.18 was out - it just sounded equally good. Now with v8 it sounds amazing, the new drives are outstanding.

Sure, some updates required tweaking and extra time invested but the end result was spectacular in my opinion.

Mik.

Back
Top Bottom