Any Love for the JC120?

I am not gonna use it much but had to buy one for my collection, a lovely Roland Limited JC-120-50A 50th Anniversary. For 15 years now this is my amp i use most, also in the Axe as a sim.
I'm sure that thing is as light as a 🪶 !

Just curious, do you play mostly clean?
Or with overdrives?
Hate to ask, but what genres of music?
I play a lot of clean but the JC takes pedals very well. Mainly i use a modded DS1 for leads on the JC, i play in a Marillion Hogarth era tribute, for all the albums before Marbles Steve played his JC 120 and Marshall for crunch.

Does the Axe fx model come close to the real thing in your opinion? Because you can compare it now.
It comes very close, the Ir ia the biggest issue, the real thing has a kind of boxiness sound the Axe has trouble to replicate, our audience can not hear the small difference though! I have had several Jc120 since i started with the Axe 1 standard when he came out, the Axe is very close now.

Interesting thread,
now I finally got why there's always this JC120 around in modelers while it isn't popular at all with nowadays jazz musicians: it's intended for metal, not jazz! :)

Btw If anyone interested, I found a good sounding Gibson S400 + Polytone IR at pasttofuturereverbs site, it worked for me to bring some SS jazz amp vibe into my FM3 :)

Really cool sounding amp, not just for cleans as they take pedals in a unique way. I see them out on the road occasionally. All over The 1975 albums. COIN guitarist uses one live in stereo with a Deluxe Reverb.

Strat position 2/4 + fast comp + chorus + JC120 = instant 80s spank: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/b8kn...C120.m4a?rlkey=3t2hd3wsl5utmy3peowm4n5ej&dl=0

Love the transients, hard to get with tube amps, such a fun sound to play around with.

Last edited:
I recently started mixing my clean presets that have use the Roland J120 with a clean JTM 45. It really helps to cut through but still remains clean.

There's a reason Metallica and others carried one around on tour beside their tube rigs for clean tones! Beautiful clean sound from the real thing as well.
The Edge also lugged one but I suspect for the keyboard parts in New Years Day.

Searching for a good clean sound that stays clean with my PRS CE-24 set to stun (on 10) has been a challenge to say the least!

However, a few days back I stumbled across the Jc120.

What a revelation, it seems I have found the answer...…

Didn't give it a thought at first as its a SS amp and I've predominantly been a valve man all my life.

What a great sounding amp!

Anyone else feeling the love?
Is the Jc120 only available in the Axe III? not seeing it in my amps list on the fm9. don't see anything on the amp wiki either (searched for ("Jc"). Thanks!

for the newbies: JC 120 = Jazz Chorus 120. it's in the fm9.

Last edited:
Searching for a good clean sound that stays clean with my PRS CE-24 set to stun (on 10) has been a challenge to say the least!

However, a few days back I stumbled across the Jc120.

What a revelation, it seems I have found the answer...…

Didn't give it a thought at first as its a SS amp and I've predominantly been a valve man all my life.

What a great sounding amp!

Anyone else feeling the love?
i love the jc120 on my FX3..

Back
Top Bottom