Any JVM users out there?

3Dhuman

Inspired
I've always been a big fan of that Marshall 'bite'. Tonight I was really getting into the JVM OD1 and tried a lot of different settings, some based on user settings I was reading over on the JVM forum. Is it just me or does this amp respond really well to a very wide range of settings including some pretty unconventional ones?

I've been getting great tones using EQ tweaks I wouldn't normally use on other amps. At the moment I have Bass and Mid around 1-2 o'clock, Treb way down to about 7 o'clock, and Pres and Depth really high around 3 o'clock. It sounds awesome (granted, I'm playing at bedroom levels at the moment).

Any of you JVM guys experience this?... awesome sounding settings all over the map?

It's as though there are no sweet spots... it's all sweet.

For reference, I'm tweaking the factory OD1 preset and am running a T808 as clean boost so the amp gain is pretty low (9 o'clock). I didn't change the cabs from the preset... 1960A G12M and 1960B V30... no mic's.

Just curious... has this amp always been this awesome/versatile/wicked?

I use OD2 with a power amp and a real cab. I feel the same.
Sometimes I try different amps but always return to JVM ;)

Used to own one. It was a great amp. The only thing I did not like was channel 4. I could never get a sound I liked out of 4.

I own a JVM410H and run my Axe FXII through the fx loop of it and when I compare the JVM OD1 model with the real thing they sound almost identical. I actually prefer the Axe model to the real thing as it seems clearer. My real JVM does sound good with a lot of really unusual settings as well so yes the model is very accurate. If you go to the JVM 410 forum you will see lots of posts with people using many different settings.

I own a JVM410H and run my Axe FXII through the fx loop of it and when I compare the JVM OD1 model with the real thing they sound almost identical. I actually prefer the Axe model to the real thing as it seems clearer. My real JVM does sound good with a lot of really unusual settings as well so yes the model is very accurate. If you go to the JVM 410 forum you will see lots of posts with people using many different settings.

Good to know. Yes, I was on the JVM forum... that's where I was getting ideas to try. I love this amp! I think it has one of the most musical sounding EQ's out there for high gain amps.

I got the Presence and Resonance (depth) settings from a post by Andy Sneap describing Dave Mustaine's recording set-up. Normally, I would never think to run those so high... but when I tried it I was pleasantly surprised.

Killer amp!

I owned a JVM410H and 1960B half stack, and loved it. Cleans were good, but I recorded an album with it and an ESP with a Bareknuckle Warpig in the bridge and a EMG neck, and on OD1 it sounded like a Mesa, the gain never needed to go above 4 for rhythm work. It was sweet all over, and literally had too much gain to go further. The OD2 provided (to my ears) the same gain with a different voicing, and I loved it for lead work. It was noisy though, with no gate, and the reverb would ping a little at low volumes. I never needed a drive in front, and at volume the thing would shake the rehearsal studio so much that I'd dial back the gain even further.

I haven't tried the Axe model too much, and never at gig volume. It sounds ok, but my guitar setup changed also, so a direct comparison was impossible.

Small edit: I haven't tried v 8:00 yet, but the new actual presence modeling is music to my ears. IMO, the secret to the amp was the presence control, giving definition to muddy high gain sounds. Knowing that it's been modeled, not as an idealised version is sweet, and I can't wait to try it out.

I owned the original JVM and had a great honeymoon with it however, after that period it was still lacking something for me so I sold it. The version in the AxeFX is far superior to me, much more tweak-able and sounds great :)

Last week I was in my local guitar shop and played on the new Satriani JVM, holy cow that is a great amp! It is far more flexible than the old JVM, it sounds really open it really did breathe when crank'd. It could sound like many Marshall amps from vintage to current day and actually did them justice. If I had the cash floating round I'd be tempted.

Spence

I owned the original JVM and had a great honeymoon with it however, after that period it was still lacking something for me so I sold it. The version in the AxeFX is far superior to me, much more tweak-able and sounds great :)

Last week I was in my local guitar shop and played on the new Satriani JVM, holy cow that is a great amp! It is far more flexible than the old JVM, it sounds really open it really did breathe when crank'd. It could sound like many Marshall amps from vintage to current day and actually did them justice. If I had the cash floating round I'd be tempted.

Spence

+1

The AFX model works better for me than the real amp did too. The trick for me is keeping the gain low.

I saw a video of Satriani demonstrating his JVM. The changes sounded good to me (less compression).

I really like the tone character of the JVM but its a bit noisy. I feel like the gate settings I have to use to take away the noise, ends up removing to much of its liveliness.

+1

The AFX model works better for me than the real amp did too. The trick for me is keeping the gain low.

I saw a video of Satriani demonstrating his JVM. The changes sounded good to me (less compression).

Exactly, OD1 and OD2 still have a load of gain but it's much more usable. Some of the CH1 & 2 modes area really great, me and the shop attendant were jamming out some classic DC riffs and other tasty jams. Best new Marshall I've played in a very long time.

Spence

I really like the tone character of the JVM but its a bit noisy. I feel like the gate settings I have to use to take away the noise, ends up removing to much of its liveliness.

Even on the Satch version? for me the noise was much less and the gates worked really well.

+1

Yes. If there's one 'sweet spot' on the amp, that's the one... gain a good amount below half (at least).

i use a JVM, I have found this when i was using the V30 + H30 combination, swapped them out for some g12 t75 and was alot happier with those speakers. also removed capacitor c83 to calm the highs a little but you still have to have odd tone controlls compared to other amps.

have you looked at the post about unauthdox tone controlls. another thing i did was to remove 2 tubes (so its a 50w) and crank the master volume more that sort of smooths it out a little more

My buddy has one and its a great sounding amp, but in typical Marshall form, it doesn't really come to until its cranked a little.
Loving the model in the II. The OD1 channel is badass for tons of tones. Works really well in a dual amp patches also.
A little gemstone from FAS to us. :)

Yeah this amp has a ton of saturation and noise even at low drive settings. I didn't expect it to be such a high gain beast. I prefer the more mild mannered amps like the plexi and 800. The JVM just sounds so modern compared to vintage marshalls.

Back
Top Bottom