Any Izotope Neutron users out there?

Alright, I just spent an hour looking for a mid-side option within the EQ of Neutron. Not there that I can see. Ozone has it. I find this a gross oversight. It's one thing to tell me that there are competing frequencies but you should have the option to either be able re-locate them in the spectral space or eliminate them. This led me to further analysis of the unmask feature. It is just looking at the frequencies as a whole as opposed to their positioning. This seems like a big deal. If I have 2 tracks, one panned left and another hard right and I use unmask, it is seeing them as competing but they are really not. (green panned hard left, purple panned hard right)

1698260767414.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, I just spent an hour looking for a mid-side option within the EQ of Neutron. Not there that I can see. I find this a gross oversight.
Agreed (nor under the unmask section). Months ago I saw videos (I can't recall exactly where?) with screenshots showing that option in the far upper right corner but I never saw it in my Neutron 4.

Last edited:
Thanks. I had about 20 different versions with mild changes. It's my least favorite part of mixing. In the end, I just throw in the towel and pick one.
Thanks for the kick recommendation. I have Sonible but have yet to learn it. So many plug-ins so little time and memory. I learn something and then 6 months later, I can't remember how to use it again.

For clarity, there is quite a bit of overlap with different Izotope products. Relay, Ozone and Neutron definitely have some overlapping features.

Here's the Unmask function that I use within Neutron. That all I use. It's not totally granular, but it's simple if it works. I use it in conjunction with a mid-side eq from Fabfilter that moves rhythm guitars to the sides for competing frequencies. I haven't even tried that in the Neutron EQ. Unmasking is one thing by reducing frequencies that compete but how about just moving them to the sides. Like I said, there is definitely some overlap with Izotope and it confuses me as the Neutron EQ can point to relay.

The first screenshot has the Neutron Eq highlighted and it has a mask function that can point to Relay. I didn't use it here.

The second screenshot has Unmask highlighted which is all that I was using. The purple graph is the monitor track, the grey is the Neutron track (the track you want to 'duck', the area graph is what is being reduced. I will continue to read up on everything that Neutron can do. So many tools.

View attachment 128579
My Neutron 4 doesn't show any of those 'copy', 'compare', or 'sidechain' options.
1698285807478.png

I do like how easy Neutron unmask is but I've spent a good portion of the day explorer Unmasking alternatives:
Eventide SplitEQ has a great way of separating transients with the sustain of the instrument. Not really unmasking but more about making this sit different.
I also checked out Sonible smartEQ It doesn't seem to have a lot of configuration involved. Sonible's proximity EQ though has a great way of pulling reverb out of printed tracks.
Currently looking at Mastering the Mix's Fuser. Which is an unmasker with M/S

Last edited by a moderator:
played with Fuser for an hour. I have an email into the vendor regarding crashes using the phase correction portion. It's still only on version 1.0.0 but I think it beats Neutron unmask but not for $80 for one plugin. We'll see. It's a 15 day trial. The Mastering the Mix plugins generally have good reviews.
Otherwise I can get by on Neutron just telling me the frequencies that compete and I'll move them around myself if needed.
Out of all of them I explored today, Eventide's SplitEQ is the coolest. Especially since you can pan the transients to one side and the all other information the other way. It sounds amazing on acoustic guitar.

Yes but spliteq can pan the transients separate from the resonant note. You can pan the pick sound to one side and the note to the other. Very cool

I'll probably get bashed for posting this here but when I first heard this with headphones on, I was blown away by the production on the guitars. It is IMO the epitome of how acoustic guitars should be mixed. The squeaks and fret slides panned around give me goose flesh. It has so much ear candy for the listener. She's a great singer too not that this is my usual music preference. Originally, I thought Phil X did the guitars on it but he didn't do her session work until later.

I can't keep up with the plugins.
This looks insanely configurable

Back
Top Bottom