Any headless guitar player up in here?

and realized it may not fit directly on the Boden Prog NX6 input jack body design
Afaik the jack on the NXs is the same as the previous series (which I have). If the Mux works on a strat, it will surely work on a Strandberg.
The output jack on a Strandberg is slightly bent towards the player. This incidentally also makes it hard to lay the guitar on its back with a cable plugged in.

View attachment 107211Just bought a Strandberg Boden Prog NX6 and love it. I need to get better pics. If the Endurneck was the only great thing about the guitar it would be worth every penny. I wish I was able to play this neck profile since the very beginning 42 years ago. The one thing that makes it especially nice for me personally is the fact that I have been suffering from Arthritis in my wrists, hands and thumbs. I easily develop tendonitis and ligament pain. It’s not a cure all, but it has helped.

Oh one more thing, I have 3 Core PRSi and the Strandberg is far from lifeless. It resonates great. I can see it not being everyone’s cup of tea, but there is no denying the amount of thought and engineering involved without losing musicality. I still see why I will play my other guitars (sans the physical issues) because every nice guitar has something unique to offer, but this is my new love. Plus not having a head to worry about banging into something or someone is great and still getting use to it. Dang…forgot the Suhr pups. Really like them.
That is a gorgeous guitar!

Yes I completely agree regarding the weird comments about Strandbergs being "lifeless" - my main axe was (and I guess still is due to ..... many reasons ranging from sentimentality to just being an absolutely kick ass guitar in every possible way) a PRS DGT which is awesome in every way, however now owning a couple of Original OS7s and being lucky enough to get a Prog NT before they mysteriously disappeared from the website, the Strandbergs are SO alive that the resonance and general vibration transferred from the strings to the body is almost deliciously painful at times - that's odd to say..... but it kinda makes me feel all tingly at times (that's even odder I guess) :D

I love the Strandbergs - everything about them from the incredible weight to the overall tone to the Endurneck to the almost zero weight; one of the few real innovatory guitars of the last twenty or so years that truly works.

That is a gorgeous guitar!

Yes I completely agree regarding the weird comments about Strandbergs being "lifeless" - my main axe was (and I guess still is due to ..... many reasons ranging from sentimentality to just being an absolutely kick ass guitar in every possible way) a PRS DGT which is awesome in every way, however now owning a couple of Original OS7s and being lucky enough to get a Prog NT before they mysteriously disappeared from the website, the Strandbergs are SO alive that the resonance and general vibration transferred from the strings to the body is almost deliciously painful at times - that's odd to say..... but it kinda makes me feel all tingly at times (that's even odder I guess) :D

I love the Strandbergs - everything about them from the incredible weight to the overall tone to the Endurneck to the almost zero weight; one of the few real innovatory guitars of the last twenty or so years that truly works.
Thanks and agree 💯
I hear you about PRS, my PRSi will always be super special for many reasons. I was planning on selling one to pay for the Strandberg, but I’m trying hard not to do that. It doesn’t mean I have to do a lot convincing, but I’m lucky and have a wife who in her own way falls in love with my guitars. She loves the figured wood. So I guess as long as I pick expensive guitars I’m good.😝 Not really…..

get a Prog NT before they mysteriously disappeared from the website
I got the last one in Europe I think. I was in waitlist, ONE was arriving and I snatched it 30 seconds after it was available on the website.
The thing that surprised me the most is how easy it is to get controlled feedback even at low volumes, yet the pickups aren't that hot.

Received the one below today. Steinberger GT-Pro Deluxe.

I'll be working abroad coming months and needed a cheap but capable portable guitar for the flight.

Sound is acceptable, neck plays okay. It's actually a pretty okay guitar for the money. The setup at delivery was bad. Took me some time. The folding leg works fine, surprisingly. The whammy bar kept falling out but I was able to fix that. The tuners are very stiff, but I am fixing that with roller bearings and some grease. I would have skipped the tone knob in the design.

IMG_3096.JPG

Received the one below today. Steinberger GT-Pro Deluxe.

I'll be working abroad coming months and needed a cheap but capable portable guitar for the flight.

Sound is acceptable, neck plays okay. It's actually a pretty okay guitar for the money. The setup at delivery was bad. Took me some time. The folding leg works fine, surprisingly. The whammy bar kept falling out but I was able to fix that. The tuners are very stiff, but I am fixing that with roller bearings and some grease. I would have skipped the tone knob in the design.

View attachment 125712

Gibson QC! But still, congrats on the guitar. Glad at least that the work that needs to be done on it is stuff you can do yourself.

I have a Strandberg Boden neck-through 6 string, and it's freaking awesome. Everything about that guitar is thoughtfully engineered for playability and tone. As much as I love my other guitars, that Boden is a uniquely perfect machine. Yep, it looks a little weird. I've played some other high-end guitars that are equally well executed, and they generally sit in that same 3-kiloshekel price range.

I have a Strandberg Boden neck-through 6 string, and it's freaking awesome. Everything about that guitar is thoughtfully engineered for playability and tone. As much as I love my other guitars, that Boden is a uniquely perfect machine. Yep, it looks a little weird. I've played some other high-end guitars that are equally well executed, and they generally sit in that same 3-kiloshekel price range.
What model is that? I only see bolt-ons around here.

7 string short scale (the 7th string is hi not lo) Moby Dick by Claas Guitars.
What gauge is the high string?

I have thought about doing a 7 string with an extra high string but the only place I found that makes strings that will support expected pitch at the right gauges want something like $20+ per string :(

. Everything about that guitar is thoughtfully engineered for playability
Every time I see an opinion that Strandberg is a great engineering, I am (as an owner of Boden Metal) clueless what it is about. Just a few examples of absolutely no thought put in the design:
  • no body contour for the right hand, it is not comfortable for long periods of playing, quite sharp edge, you can't rest your hand on it
  • volume knob and pickup selector so close to strings you can't really funk, and even strumming causes you hand touch the knob and/or switch pickups when you didn't want to. I moved the volume into tone position, removed the tone knob, and had to reverse the switch cause I use neck more often
  • the worst heel design ever - not better than my old Gibson or Strat. No comparison to Ibanez heels, not even close. So hard to reach high frets! Why even put 24 frets? My RG1550 eats it for breakfast. Probably my bad - should've gone with neck-through, but they didn't have Fishman in those
  • can't play sitting while strap-locks are on - it is literally painful because typical Shaller strap-lock will drill a hole in your chest
  • first string jumps OUT of the bridge saddle if you do a big bend after 12 fret - happened few times even during performances, which is plain unacceptable
  • jack hole has a slight angle to it which makes it impossible to get a guitar lying on its back without twisting a cable. WHY?!

And so much more details like that. Nobody ever hurts left hand by occasionally touching the lock on the neck, where you cut the strings, because sharp edges are still outside (I use tape on those)? Or right hand, because of how sharp those little screwes are?

And I don't even want to go discussing QC - I don't think they do it at all given in which shape my new guitar was after the delivery (pickups not working, sharp edges of frets, etc.)

While I agree that it's a great great thing that neck forces you to put left hand in a proper position, everything else about this guitar screams "I was built by an amateur". I am sorry if this comment gets under someone's skin but damn, good engineering? Not Strandberg.
The reason(s) pretty much every modern musician close to shredding plays Abasi or Ibanez or something else these days, except for Plini and a handful of other great guys.

Last edited:
Every time I see an opinion that Strandberg is a great engineering, I am (as an owner of Boden Metal) clueless what it is about. Just a few examples of absolutely no thought put in the design:
  • no body contour for the right hand, it is not comfortable for long periods of playing, quite sharp edge, you can't rest your hand on it
  • volume knob and pickup selector so close to strings you can't really funk, and even strumming causes you hand touch the knob and/or switch pickups when you didn't want to. I moved the volume into tone position, removed the tone knob, and had to reverse the switch cause I use neck more often
  • the worst heel design ever - not better than my old Gibson or Strat. No comparison to Ibanez heels, not even close. So hard to reach high frets! Why even put 24 frets? My RG1550 eats it for breakfast. Probably my bad - should've gone with neck-through, but they didn't have Fishman in those
  • can't play sitting while strap-locks are on - it is literally painful because typical Shaller strap-lock will drill a hole in your chest
  • first string jumps OUT of the bridge saddle if you do a big bend after 12 fret - happened few times even during performances, which is plain unacceptable
  • jack hole has a slight angle to it which makes it impossible to get a guitar lying on its back without twisting a cable. WHY?!

And so much more details like that. Nobody ever hurts left hand by occasionally touching the lock on the neck, where you cut the strings, because sharp edges are still outside (I use tape on those)? Or right hand, because of how sharp those little screwes are?

And I don't even want to go discussing QC - I don't think they do it at all given in which shape my new guitar was after the delivery (pickups not working, sharp edges of frets, etc.)

While I agree that it's a great great thing that neck forces you to put left hand in a proper position, everything else about this guitar screams "I was built by an amateur". I am sorry if this comment gets under someone's skin but damn, good engineering? Not Strandberg.
The reason(s) pretty much every modern musician close to shredding plays Abasi or Ibanez or something else these days, except for Plini.
You should post this on Rosh's thread where he asks why he shouldn't buy a Strandberg. The thread is titled: "Talk me out of (or into) buying a Strandberg Guitar."

You should post this on Rosh's thread where he asks why he shouldn't buy a Strandberg. The thread is titled: "Talk me out of (or into) buying a Strandberg Guitar."
I think I wrote twice as big of a post in his thread, much more detailed about all the issues with it. Or maybe it was someone else' thread about headless guitar... Anyway, I do remember commenting on Rosh's thread that I have terrible tuning issues with it no luthier was able to fix - worse of any guitar I have ever had, and that's why I mentioned to him it might not be great changing climates often with it.

Last edited:
I think I wrote quite as big of a post in his thread, much more detailed about all the issues with it. Or maybe it was someone else' thread about headless guitar... Anyway, I do remember commenting on Rosh's thread that I have terrible tuning issues with it no luthier was able to fix - worse of any guitar I have ever had, and that's why I mentioned to him it might not be great changing climates often with it.
I've heard some of those complaints about Strandbergs, and since my sample size is one, I can only comment about my own experiences. Mine is a neck-through Boden with Suhr pickups (H S H). I suspect the neck-through models have a better heel, as I can play comfortably all the way to the last fret, and I don't have very large hands (see photo below for a shot of the neck joint). I have never had tuning stability issues or strings popping off their saddles, but I have read a number of posts from people who are having trouble with Strandberg's QC, which is concerning. I do my own maintenance on all my instruments, and haven't needed to address fret sprout / sharp ends or anything else on the Boden since I got it five years ago. I flew it with me from Seattle to NY for gigs this summer, and despite the heat / humidity change, tuning and intonation was dead stable. I agree that the placement of the switch and volume are close to the strings, but I play pretty economically - even when playing funky parts - so that hasn't really bothered me. I'll add this: I bought my guitar via Sweetwater, and they run every instrument through a thorough inspection and setup process before shipping. Their setups are every bit as a good as what I can do, and I'm rather picky.

All in all, it's the same as any opinion on guitars... our mileage will vary :) I think pretty much every guitar manufacturer has variation in the quality and execution of their products. My expectation is that an instrument with the price tag of a Strandberg should absolutely meet the boutique-level quality bar. If my Boden hadn't been superb, I would have returned it withouta second thought (another benefit of Sweetwater: they have a great return policy).

bd6tct-20nf-p-f-or_3.png

can't play sitting while strap-locks are on - it is literally painful because typical Shaller strap-lock will drill a hole in your chest
I have a neck-thru model, and really don’t experience many of the issues you do… but regarding strap-locks, Loxx were a game changer for me. Very low profile and very comfortable.

got real steinberger gl2t in '96, still my main guitar,

1st spirit '99, no 2 frets level with each other. eventually got plek and new duncan pickups : great axe now.

2nd spirit 2018 manuf. used on craiglist for 200. bridge wonky. new fixed bridge, lace pickup, plek. down tuned C standard.
least stable tuning but something I love about the tone

I was never so attracted by traditional styles. When the first Steinberger basses came out, i hoped they would make a guitar that style.

peace

Back
Top Bottom