Any Grease Fans?

Toopy14

Axe-Master
Great story! I tried posting the Facebook link to the video, but it gets blocked...at least it does on my computer. The link is in the article.

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/olivia-newton-john-grease-jacket-gift-trnd/index.html

I absolutely love this movie and still do to this day. Forty+ years later, my daughter loves it too and every time it's on, we always watch it together.

I remember when it came out, in 1978, the movie theatre had this deal, where you could get into see the movie for 50 cents, if you brought an expired lottery ticket. My friends and I must have seen it at least a dozen times or more! We knew the soundtrack by heart.

Yep, it holds a special spot with me too. Cool story...ONJ is great - and she did well in choosing Andy Timmons as her musical director over the years so she knows her guitarists as well.

Mary Lou Henner (of Taxi fame) played the ONJ role opposite
Travolta in the original pre-Broadway production in chicago ...
she worked the following summer at my family’s resort which was very entertainment oriented.. we mounted a mini production of the musical with
Mary Lou in the lead.. I hated my involvement with it..( it was super cheesy). and it tainted(huh huh) myenjoyment of it forever.
Mary Lou was a sweetheart though...and she could party.

Cannot stand that movie!!! My kids must have watched it 200+ times. Just hearing "You're the one that I want, ew ew ew' sends me into convulsions! :)

Nice guy to be able to toss out a 250K gift.

Last edited:
Definitely reminds of a specific time of life. I saw her in an interview when she showed the items to be auctioned, and the interviewer asked if she could still wear those pants and she took them to an adjoining room and put them on!

That is not a feat I could manage with the pants I was wearing when I first saw that movie!

I really enjoyed meeting Olivia when several of her guitar players adopted Fractal Audio products.
She was really nice to my kids too. They're Grease fans. I wasn't really (1 year after Star Wars?) but I have come to appreciate the movie, and I like the Frankie Valli song.

No. I was 13 when Star Wars was out, and 14 when I started playing guitar. Rush's Xanadu is soooooo much better than hers! However, I thought she was a beautiful knockout, and appreciated her singing talent. Grease just wasn't my thing.

I was definitely into it because in high school it was the talk of town! A must see movie....and everyone went!

All the tourist hotel bands ended up playing the title song for what seemed like years LOL!

Loved it at the time, I think I went to see it with my mother in the cinema. 2nd movie I saw in a cinema too, after Star Wars. Still love the movie and the sound track, although I am puzzled why the opening song in a movie about the 1950's and the rock 'n' roll era is a 1970's disco song. Never seen the musical so maybe its related to that.

Loved it at the time, I think I went to see it with my mother in the cinema. 2nd movie I saw in a cinema too, after Star Wars. Still love the movie and the sound track, although I am puzzled why the opening song in a movie about the 1950's and the rock 'n' roll era is a 1970's disco song. Never seen the musical so maybe its related to that.
IT is not, it was written for the movie, which was released in the throes of the peak of Discomania , and all too many artists and producers gave in to the lure of the $$ beat, though the song was performed by Frankie Valli, an Authentic vintage rocknroll star......this trend is even more disconcerting nowa days when contemporary and classic music Hits pepper movie period pieces of all eras......

Grease is one of the best movies of my childhood, and my wife’s as well....actually, its one of those guilty pleasure type movies that we find a bit comedic and silly at times (very Bold and the Beautiful/Young and the restless acting) but there are also some pretty damn good tunes, and i mean, get out off your seat and dance type tunes man.....almost REAL head banger type shit.....but wiith a 50’s greaser old school chuck berry blues as opposed to Zakk Wylde.....

but its a 10/10.....and i prefer it to Westside Story, even as a NY’er (its like sacrilege almost to say, sorry Lenny)

[PS with all due respect, I wanted to really bang Marilou when I used to see her bra less in taxi as a teenager, what a tease she was lol]

I wasn't into Grease, but went to see Xanadu a handful of times at the mall. Between her, the ELO soundtrack, and the whole cheesy 80s mess, it was/is great.

My gf IS a Grease fan, so it's on a few times a year.

I've seen it many times... It's one of those I never really seek but will inevitably watch if I run across it.

Interestingly, my 13 year old daughter has said a few times in the last several weeks that Grease is her favorite movie. I am not sure if we've actually ever watched it together...

Back
Top Bottom