Any good Tone match presets?

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
Are there good examples/presets that really show the 'power' of the Tone Match block in all it's glory? Have only tried a few but I didn't like them so much.
Any tips on which presets I can audition to convince me with that Tone match is something for me?
Are Tone match presets in general more geared towards recording or live use?

Last edited:
Yes I know. But since this is the preset exchange sub forum I was not sure where to put it. Maybe this topic can be moved to the TM sub forum? sorry for the inconvenience.

Personally, I've had similar experiences with tone matching. To my ear, most tone match presets I've tried sound like crap played solo.

I just recently tried making some short recordings using tone match presets and was pleasantly surprised. When you put them in a recorded mix and especially after you double or quad-track guitars they can really sound good and can help you achieve tones that I've found impossible to get with the stock cabs or any other cabs I've found out there (OH, RedWirez, etc.).

Really it makes sense, though. Listen to stem tracks from any recording. They usually sound horrible on their own. I guess it's just a fact of life that presets made for recording are going to have to be significantly different from ones designed for solo or even live use.

As far as using tone match presets for live use, I can't really comment as I don't use the Axe in live situations. I would guess they would work but most of the ones I've heard would definately need some adjustments in terms of EQ.

Personally, I've had similar experiences with tone matching. To my ear, most tone match presets I've tried sound like crap played solo.

I just recently tried making some short recordings using tone match presets and was pleasantly surprised. When you put them in a recorded mix and especially after you double or quad-track guitars they can really sound good and can help you achieve tones that I've found impossible to get with the stock cabs or any other cabs I've found out there (OH, RedWirez, etc.).

Really it makes sense, though. Listen to stem tracks from any recording. They usually sound horrible on their own. I guess it's just a fact of life that presets made for recording are going to have to be significantly different from ones designed for solo or even live use.

As far as using tone match presets for live use, I can't really comment as I don't use the Axe in live situations. I would guess they would work but most of the ones I've heard would definately need some adjustments in terms of EQ.

good post! Yes, I also think that the Tone Match presets will sound better when recording. The ones that I have auditioned sound a bit shrill and unrealistic somehow. And to my ears they sound better when bypassing the Tone Match block. But maybe I am missing something or maybe I haven't heard the best presets. That's why I asked for some good presets in which the Tone Matching really comes alive.

There's a lot of good ones out there. I'm not sure what kind of tones you're looking for but here are some metal ones I tried out last night that I liked:

- Presets

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Awake Lead - by AdamCook

Axe-Change - Download Preset - YJM100 Lead (TM) - by FractalAudio

Don't give up on them until you try recording them and listening back, especially if you multi-track the guitars. I've only recently started to notice how much different presets sound once recorded vs. listening to them while playing. What I've been doing to check out TM presets is to just record a very simple 4-bar groove and double-track it panned full L and R.

Check out Axe-Change too. Just filter the results to only show TMA presets. There's a lot of good ones on there and some bad but it's a lot of fun to try them out. Some of them do need various adjustments because they came out on earlier firmware versions and amp models have changed a bit.

There's a lot of good ones out there. I'm not sure what kind of tones you're looking for but here are some metal ones I tried out last night that I liked:

Thanks will check them out! I am not really a metal or hard rock guy but I just want to get a good idea of what Tone Match can do. More into fusion, ambient or experimental stuff. Any nice clean Tone Match presets?

Back
Top Bottom