Any experience combining FRFR and amp?

wembley

Inspired
Dear fellow forumites, please help me out with experience and suggestions here.

I've been using my Ultra for 2,5 years now, purely as a FRFR rig, never missed my old Marshall rig :) Lately, I've started using an additional FRFR monitor onstage pointing towards the audience, in addition to the wedge in front pointing towards my face, mainly in order to create some sound leakage from the stage to the people right in front. It also helps whenever I miss the old oomph from the Marshall cab.

I'm reconfiguring my rig these days as I upgraded to the Axe 2, and have started testing the Axe through the Matrix power amp + a decent 2x12 cab, keeping the signal chain the same but turning off the cab sims. This sounds absolutely terrific, and I wish to use this on stage in addition to feeding the PA FRFR; the oomph from a good cabinet (but more controllable than a 100 W Plexi rig) + the advantages of feeding the PA directly from the Axe.

Now, there are several ways of doing this. I could insert an fx-loop somewhere in the signal chain before the cab, and use output 2 into the backline rig. However, in my standard FRFR rig, I like to keep effects such as reverb, chorus and delays after the cabinet, last in the signal chain. By tapping the chain before the cabinet I would feed my backline rig a dry signal, no reverb and delays.

Secondly (and this is in the wiki somewhere), I could split the signal e.g. after the last drive pedal into two amps, each driving separate signal chains, one with a cab sim into output 1 and one without into output 2 and further into the backline rig. The drawback here is that I need separate reverbs, delays etc. for each chain or row, limiting the number of fx I can use simultaneously and making it a hassle to adjust the delay etc (I would need to copy the settings from one row to the other each time I make the smallest adjustment).

Thirdly, I could run all the time-based fx between the amp and cab, and insert an fx-loop after the effects but before the cab, which will be the final element of the FRFR chain. This way, I will get the same amp and effects in both signal chains. I will miss out on the advantage of having the time based fx after the cabinet. I've not actually tested having the fx between the amp and cab; it might not be much of a difference.

So, chime in, please. Any experience with similar set-ups?

Best
Wembley

Back
Top Bottom