Any examples of how to cut the shrill highs of just the B/High E strings?

Cool idea to PEQ first. So right after input block?
Yes after input preferably before anything else unless something adds brightness. i got bkp aftermaths, on my 7 string these pickups are very bright and i play mostly in drop g/ f/f# if i want to play riffs which include low and high strings without switching pickups , i use the peq the DI, shelve it x db( you need to experiment) after 2 or 4k (or whatever) and/or some peaking cuts for the specific freq if any . makes the shrillness/ bright string noise go away.

The di is what goes through the amp and cab . any changes made to the di eq help you correct things at source and thus are more natural and powerful.
That being said the ir choice is still very important if the ir is shrill nothing else will work. so best to use a balanced sounding ir.

Last edited:
Stand next to a drummer bashing his cymbals for 30 years.

Your B and E strings won’t bother you at all.
Just learned that the founder of Vox had blown his hearing when designing the AC-30 which could explain why its such a bright and chiming amp. Incidentally I've made things hard on myself by playing a Junior into an AC-30 model, so this is another facet of the puzzle I neglected to mention but I now have it under control without mucking with the guitar, which is cool by me.

You can't apply anything in the Fractal to only certain strings.

Any EQ you apply will be applied equally to all strings...

Have you tried different picks? Might be the pick material.
True. You can use a pitch follower to apply to a range of notes, though. It would apply itself if you played that range of notes on any string though. For example 5th fret of the 3rd string or 20the fret of the 6th string.

If it were me, I would look first for guitar-level solutions. First, I would see if those two strings stand out unplugged, or if it is only the plugged in sound. Potential solutions are different depending on which.

It's not a guitar level problem in my viw. The P-90 is a shrill pickup when in the bridge and going into a Vox AC-30. It has no such problem into a '57 Tweed, in my view. I tend to find the high E a bit shrill in general, on almost any guitar and I have too many guitars to adjust every one of them. I think I found a great solve with the multi-band compressor. But it's good to know I can use that trick if needed.

Also in the cab block, try turning on the mic preamp model. Select one like "vintage" along with some boost and saturation and it will soften the top end in a nice smooth fashion. Also, the mic pre tone controls are very effective.

Back
Top Bottom