Any examples of how to cut the shrill highs of just the B/High E strings?

I play P90’s most of the time and have presets for them. The only things I use to warm it up are the BMT, presence and sometimes lower the high frequency on the speaker page. Also the typical high cut and increased proximity in the cab block. If I need more I just roll off the tone knob. I don’t use the bright caps on most amps because it’s just too much unless the gain is turned up more than I need. The thing is, if you use the bright cap and then turn it off, it sounds super dark. But after you play with it a little while it will start sounding normal and you can get your highs back with other controls.

This is the story of my tele as well. I love the clarity and attack of transients in the lower freq but if I go 10th fret upwards the transients quickly become too aggressive.

Multiband comp after the cab block so you can tame some of those high transients without affecting your low strings as much.

Props to this. It's a simple and effective option. The MBC allows you to retain the majority of the transients with targeted compression on problem frequencies bringing them into balance with the rest of your guitar's tone.

Last edited:
Lots of cool answers trying it out now. I really don’t think the guitar has a problem but maybe the actual guitar mod suggestions are still valid. We will see. I’d rather not much with the 56 but a reissue is no biggie.
Adjusting pole pieces isnt modding, just tweaking. You can always set it back, same with pickup height. Just record where everything is now :)

Adjusting pole pieces isnt modding, just tweaking. You can always set it back, same with pickup height. Just record where everything is now :)
Absolutely, I should have said mucking around. I mean there's nothing crazy about the suggestion, but I really think if I did this it would be on every guitar, and that's bananas. It's really my ear to an extent and the P90 making it even harsher. I also listen to recordings through Adam A7x and they are showing me the highs and its just very bright. Still learning to listen. This is a signal chain fix for me for the time being but this idea is noted for experimentation.

This is the story of my tele as well. I love the clarity and attack of transients in the lower freq but if I go 10th fret upwards the transients quickly become too aggressive.

Props to this. It's a simple and effective option. The MBC allows you to retain the majority of the transients with targeted compression on problem frequencies bringing them into balance with the rest of your guitar's tone.

This is the thread winner in my view. All so many great fascinating answers that all have merit to this issue and have opened my eyes. Thank you! This one that's quoted here however, this was the one that did it. Multiband Compressor. Game over, totally blew my mind here.

I've seen now that Dog Ear P90 have a pronounced treble. The same problem I had with Seymour Duncan JB. I changed them for Polymath and the harsh treble was gone.

Absolutely, I should have said mucking around. I mean there's nothing crazy about the suggestion, but I really think if I did this it would be on every guitar, and that's bananas. It's really my ear to an extent and the P90 making it even harsher. I also listen to recordings through Adam A7x and they are showing me the highs and its just very bright. Still learning to listen. This is a signal chain fix for me for the time being but this idea is noted for experimentation.
Do it to every guitar you own if they all give you the same issue imo. It’s the same as setting the action you prefer, really.

Attaching the Pitch Follower to some of the treble controls on the amp can help. Treble, Presence etc. Im
The amp Input EQ is very powerful when used with the PF. I would set up a narrow Q between 3k-5k and see how this sounds and adjust accordingly. This works really well for a slight top end roll off. - well, a harshness roll off.

Another way of using the PF is to boost a little bit in the 1-2.5k region. This will add clarity to the low notes. With a slight boost added you can really elevate fills in the lower register between chords without having to touch the AxeFx.

IIRC- I think LT may have a video specifically about some of the many cool things you can do with the PF.

I have P90s in several guitars. I have lowered the bright cap value in the past, to deal with icepicky harsh high end.
Another thing to consider though is the resistance of the volume pot. The treble of a P90 is very different with a 500k vs a 250k. I used 250k to keep the big mids without the searing highs. Some folks likewise use a 300k . A 500k volume pot can do exactly what you describe. The filter created from the inductance of the P90 with the resistance of the pot make a nasty spike in the high end.

If you want to go nuts, you could attach pitch follower modifiers to the treble/presence knobs on the amp block and set it up so that when you play high notes it turns down those knobs a bit. It's one of the ridiculously awesome things only Fractal can do.

But realistically, just try some of these:
  1. Lower treble side of pickups.
  2. Lower pole pieces for those strings.
  3. Roll down your guitar tone knob.
  4. Use a darker IR or mix a brighter/darker IR together.
  5. Adjust amp block settings or try a different amp block.
  6. Try input or output EQ.
  7. Add a bit of compression with less dry blend.

If you want to go nuts, you could attach pitch follower modifiers to the treble/presence knobs on the amp block and set it up so that when you play high notes it turns down those knobs a bit. It's one of the ridiculously awesome things only Fractal can do.

But realistically, just try some of these:
  1. Lower treble side of pickups.
  2. Lower pole pieces for those strings.
  3. Roll down your guitar tone knob.
  4. Use a darker IR or mix a brighter/darker IR together.
  5. Adjust amp block settings or try a different amp block.
  6. Try input or output EQ.
  7. Add a bit of compression with less dry blend.
How do you mix IR?

How do you mix IR?
  1. Select IRs in the cab block in different slots. Usually 2 IRs is enough, you might try the fullres ones in the Legacy bank if you have an Axe-Fx 3 Mk2/Turbo.
  2. Adjust the level of the IRs 2-4 to determine how much they are blended with the "main" IR.
  3. Adjust the panning of IRs if you want.
  4. Adjust low/high cuts of individual IRs.
  5. Use the preamp page of the cab block for adjustments that apply to all IRs (e.g global low/high cut). Using the preamp sim can also give interesting results.

Use a PEQ on the DI, shelve out the frequencies you dont like fully. That way if it goes through the amp you still have the entire freq spectrum but the annoying highs are gone from it.

I have P90s in several guitars. I have lowered the bright cap value in the past, to deal with icepicky harsh high end.
Another thing to consider though is the resistance of the volume pot. The treble of a P90 is very different with a 500k vs a 250k. I used 250k to keep the big mids without the searing highs. Some folks likewise use a 300k . A 500k volume pot can do exactly what you describe. The filter created from the inductance of the P90 with the resistance of the pot make a nasty spike in the high end.
Interesting info will try on the reissue. Doing this to an original 56 would destroy its value in the vintage market. But very useful to play with as a dedicated Jr player. Thank you much.

Back
Top Bottom