Any EBMM owners?

6 Majesty's ( 2 monarchy models, a koa, 3 earlier models).
Since you've had several examples, I have a question for you (or anyone else with experience with this):

On some models, the back and neck is not a gloss finish. Are/were any of yours like this? And if so, did you find the non-gloss necks easier to slide your hand on, when changing positions quickly?

I'm finding the gloss finish sometimes a bit "grabby." I'll put a small spinkle of baby powder on my hand to compensate, because sometimes I miss notes that I have to quickly slide to. Plus, because it doesn't act grabby all the time, it can be difficult to nail down those kinds of slides using muscle memory, i.e., sometimes I need to think about it, and put more effort into changing positions, which isn't what I want to do when playing a challenging solo.

Are the non-gloss necks more easier to navigate in this manner?

Got a Majesty for my birthday :)
Note how it's unpurposedly the pfp I have since years :D

Attachments

• IMG_20211011_123656.jpg
    IMG_20211011_123656.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 32
Since you've had several examples, I have a question for you (or anyone else with experience with this):

On some models, the back and neck is not a gloss finish. Are/were any of yours like this? And if so, did you find the non-gloss necks easier to slide your hand on, when changing positions quickly?

I'm finding the gloss finish sometimes a bit "grabby." I'll put a small spinkle of baby powder on my hand to compensate, because sometimes I miss notes that I have to quickly slide to. Plus, because it doesn't act grabby all the time, it can be difficult to nail down those kinds of slides using muscle memory, i.e., sometimes I need to think about it, and put more effort into changing positions, which isn't what I want to do when playing a challenging solo.

I don’t like lacquered necks, doesn’t matter from which company. The non lacquered Music Man Necks do have a smooth wax and oil finish. The most comfortable necks I have ever played.

The Majesty design on the Monarchy was the satin on the back and the neck. The previous models were more of a matte finish all around. The JP15's I owned were all the roasted and oiled necks and bodies. For me, I like the oiled finished bodies and necks. The roasting process makes things a lot more alive and the lack of heavy finish makes things sound different.

There is nothing wrong with the nitro/gloss kind of thing as well. Just not as pleasing and they tend to gum up a bit as well.

It kind of depends on if you are more of a player vs a wall art collector, etc...And you get more of a vintage sound anytime nitro goes on.

But to be completely honest - gloss finishes don't prevent me from playing anything - I just prefer oiled necks, and to the point, roasted maple.

I didn't find all that much difference in feel with the majesty and say a les paul - slightly more satin feel, but with finish it still gums up.

However, with an oiled/roasted neck on the JP15 it always felt clean.

To me the majesty kind of leans toward Type G and the JP15 toward Type F...

Thought I’d post these as they’re all fairly new to me. I have several Kiesels that have been my main guitars for a few years but was tempted to try the stingray after reading so many wonderful things about their guitars. Those necks are really something special!

Bought the white one, then the silverburst BFR, and just received the turquoise last week. These have quickly become my main gigging guitars. Upgraded all three to JB/jazz pickups.

1646147150792.jpeg

Thought I’d post these as they’re all fairly new to me. I have several Kiesels that have been my main guitars for a few years but was tempted to try the stingray after reading so many wonderful things about their guitars. Those necks are really something special!

Bought the white one, then the silverburst BFR, and just received the turquoise last week. These have quickly become my main gigging guitars. Upgraded all three to JB/jazz pickups.

View attachment 97197
Nice Governor!!

My Axis was my favorite guitar ever, right after my Peavey Wolfgang Standard. I must say my dream guitar would have been the Peavey body with the EBMM neck. Damn shame they were not compatible.

I'm definitely with you on satin finished necks. I carefully selected satin finished backs on a 6 (Frost White) and 7 (Monarchy Red) string Majesty. Bit frustrating cos it reduces the options and the colour schemes on EBMM is quite something.
Wonderfully playable guitars though with pristine fretting and a really comfortable neck profile.

I'm definitely with you on satin finished necks. I carefully selected satin finished backs on a 6 (Frost White) and 7 (Monarchy Red) string Majesty. Bit frustrating cos it reduces the options and the colour schemes on EBMM is quite something.
Wonderfully playable guitars though with pristine fretting and a really comfortable neck profile.
I shy away from pretty much all of the modern Majesty guitars for this reason. My Monarchy has an amazing satin neck. All of the new Majesty guitars are glossy, and I just don't know if I can go back :oops:

IMG_4416[39812].jpg

Neck profiles are different but great on all 3.

Love the Luke III- solid rosewood neck, transition pickups are great. One of the best playing guitars I have. The frets are a little low, I wish they were taller.

Steve Morse is awesome if you can adjust to the pickup selection scheme. Only other personal peeve - I don't like pick guards on anything.

The JP6 honeyburst - I changed the pickups to the BareKnuckle rebel yell set, didn't like the dimarzio set at all. Big improvement imo, but I still wish it was just a little more raw. My favorite pickup/switching combination is 2 humbuckers with a 5 way blade switch, love the strat and tele approximations in position 2 & 4 and full humbucker modes. So I don't care much for the 3-way toggle.

To me, many musicman guitars seem like a more Americanized and improved version of some early Ibanez (80s) designs. Which were/are awesome too!

My Axis was my favorite guitar ever, right after my Peavey Wolfgang Standard. I must say my dream guitar would have been the Peavey body with the EBMM neck. Damn shame they were not compatible.

Attachments

• 358245_hammer_jdy-1024x794.jpg
    358245_hammer_jdy-1024x794.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20-045_1.jpg
    20-045_1.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 0f3e38d2-df3f-4c49-a1f4-892f02b0c76e.08388ac3ea30d7658c9e54335e7a169e.jpeg
    0f3e38d2-df3f-4c49-a1f4-892f02b0c76e.08388ac3ea30d7658c9e54335e7a169e.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 0
  • R.jpg
    R.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1775788-40.jpg
    1775788-40.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 0
View attachment 97923

Neck profiles are different but great on all 3.

Love the Luke III- solid rosewood neck, transition pickups are great. One of the best playing guitars I have. The frets are a little low, I wish they were taller.

Steve Morse is awesome if you can adjust to the pickup selection scheme. Only other personal peeve - I don't like pick guards on anything.

The JP6 honeyburst - I changed the pickups to the BareKnuckle rebel yell set, didn't like the dimarzio set at all. Big improvement imo, but I still wish it was just a little more raw. My favorite pickup/switching combination is 2 humbuckers with a 5 way blade switch, love the strat and tele approximations in position 2 & 4 and full humbucker modes. So I don't care much for the 3-way toggle.

To me, many musicman guitars seem like a more Americanized and improved version of some early Ibanez (80s) designs. Which were/are awesome too!
Nice selection, you working some Jackyl in your setlist?

EBMM Silo Special Piezo here!! Love it and will never sell it. It's been my #1 for 10 years. I simply love my guitar!

Back
Top Bottom