Any Billy Squier Fans?

He's one of my all time favorites. If you listen to many of his deeper cuts, he and the band have CHOPS.

I actually tried to email him (or his fan club) on his site, imploring him that we need his style of guitar based great songs back in the world and to jump back in....nada.

Looks to me like he's had enough of the biz. He had a few dates playing with Ringo in the all stars, and did a few shows with GE Smith (I think of Hall and Oates fame) way back in April. But pretty much hung it up.

I remember seeing an interview where his next album after 'Emotions' was slated to be with a great Producer. 11th hour the (very good) producer found out that Billy had a 'fling' with his present girlfriend. Billy thought that it was known, but it wasn't. The producer quit immediately as he felt betrayed. Thus, a combination of a pivot away from GBR and lesser production (that abhorrent 'Rock Me Tonight' video contributed), and it was basically over.

Here's the song from '89 that I still listen to that was the follow up to better days. In my mind it is a decent song, but the production feels...stilted. Like it jumps in too quickly in some places, and doesn't accent in areas it should. All the elements are there...they just feel like they're in the wrong places...at least in the intro and buildup. Hooky chorus, cool use of a mandolin...would have liked to hear more 'beef' on the solo. Outro is probably my favorite part.

Back
Top Bottom