Any Beatle fans wanna help?

gibvictory

Inspired
Trying to get that AC-30/ Harrison Gretch guitar (probably with flat wounds) sound from "She Loves You". That sound is all all over the early recordings. The guitars I have to work with are modern hum/single/hum with Duncans. Checked out the AC-30 sim and couldn't get there. Tried a few others but no cigar. That indescribable bell like sound I can't get close to. Screwing with the GEQ did not help. Getting close is good enough. Any clever idea's out there?

True .... I believe that he used his Country Gent for that recording session. Completely hollow body and the distinctive Gretsch compressed sounding pickups along with all the blending/damping options in combination with the Vox ..... then add the ancient all valve recording equipment into the mix. Could be tough enough to try and replicate exactly .... but a hollow body with lo output pups would probably help.

According to "Beatles Gear" there are photos from the She Loves You Session. Harrision was playing his Country Gent through a Vox AC30. Although I get great results from my AC 30 TB preset, the sound of the Gretch is very unique and difficult to emulate. Most early Beatle recordings were George's Duo Jet. Once he got the Country Gent, that was his go to guitar.

Just adding to the above is the fact that Abbey Road microphones where probably Neumann U47. Check out the U47 frequency response and you get a clue as to the emphasis on the "bell" chime coming from the AC30 alnico speakers. I have used RedWirez IR's (High Res) that featured the Lawson 47 in front of Vox Blues to obtain early Shadows sound - also recorded at Abbey Road about the same time.

A tone match of a Country Gent body might be awesome. I've got a thin-line Collings with TV Jones Filtertrons and still can't get close to that fat Gretsch sound. Hmmm...maybe one of the acoustic guitar IRs...

At the moment not using cab ir's, so mic placement will not help me although for someone else it might be helpful. Besides the AC30 and Gretch, he had to be using flat wound strings. Believe it or not I settled (for now) on the JTM45. It mainly had the effect of deadening the strings a little. The tone will have to remain elusive. I've spent too much time trying to get this tone for such a short song.

Back
Top Bottom