Anticipatory NGD Thread: PRS P22

OrganicZed

Fractal Fanatic
As referenced in a previous post, I purchased a nearly mint 2012 core PRS today. I'm expecting delivery late next week. Here's what the modcat decoder says about it:

1677871023282.png

The either the decoder or the code itself were wrong because it clearly is a P22 and not a P24. This isn't the first time I've run into inconsistencies between the guitar and the modcat decoder.

Okay, enough with all of that, here's what we're all here for:

knzwnjpwjmr3mx7aircl.jpg

xxyds9t36azziirnkyau.jpg

j72utklttpp66oeexaef.jpg

qunu6wme30lj7f0gn7qs.jpg

q021g4dqpbq9qnvsdyjq.jpg

cwxtafjdgnvcozpfn6xc.jpg

jwqermydbxc7olpw3jql.jpg

r47diwfwhhpexzv3u2xv.jpg

necqrhfwr4ucsjxqahd1.jpg

I don't normally like translucent black finishes but this one is a jaw dropper. Its only a 10-top but I've seen wood library tops that pale in comparison. Gold hardware often looks garish but I think it looks splendid on this particular guitar. The sum of the package has a greater visual impact than the individual components in isolation.

My fingers are crossed that the sonic character lives up to the visual beauty of the instrument. The P22 pickups are a bit of a mystery. Given the date of manufacture (05-11-12) I am lead to believe from what I've read online that the P22 pickups here are 53/10 pickups without covers. It is possible that they might also be 57/08 pickups since those were also installed with the P22 label starting some time around 2013 when PRS were no longer able to source the correct wire for the 53/10 design. My preference would be for the 53/10 since I have previously tried the 57/08 set in another guitar and found them to be inoffensive but also nothing particularly special. The 53/10 seem to be highly regarded and I like the sound samples I've heard on the YouTube.

Edit: PRS customer service confirmed that the pickups in this guitar are the 53/10 set.

I'm excited to try a guitar that can switch from acoustic piezo to traditional magnetic pickup sounds. I think that could be quite useful in a live setting. The clips I've heard demoing the piezo sound shockingly similar to a plugged in acoustic guitar.

Now the waiting begins.

Last edited:
Oh snap, I wouldn’t been able to let that slip no matter what finish. That is a beauty and the top is outstanding. I’m not a charcoal guy either (I figure we see color for a reason) but this faded grey black does have an extra bit of elegance to it.

I've been resisting the urge to post my own 'Anticipatory-NGD' and now I know why. What a beautiful guitar!

Sweet!

I’ve got this one. Mine is a 2013 trem.View attachment 117067View attachment 117068

Nice. I have a P24 in Vintage Smokeburst. It has 53/10s. Very cool pickups. Actually quite versatile.

How do y’all route the acoustic / electric setup through your Fractal rigs?

I was thinking that I’d use the piezo output to plug into input 2 for independent processing. That way I could also use scenes or an expression pedal to switch between or blend the magnetic signal and the piezo sound.

@JoKeR III the other guitar that I had as my backup purchase in case this one fell through was a dual P90 configuration. I don’t have any P90 guitars. This one was just too good of a deal to ignore even though it is not what I went looking for initially.

@JoKeR III the other guitar that I had as my backup purchase in case this one fell through was a dual P90 configuration. I don’t have any P90 guitars. This one was just too good of a deal to ignore even though it is not what I went looking for initially.
This will be my first P-90 guitar. I'm working on a P-90 build with Bareknuckle Bootcamp pickups, but it's taking a while defining the body shape. Saw this one and it hit the right spot for me; single cut offset shape, plus I really like Reverend guitars.

How do y’all route the acoustic / electric setup through your Fractal rigs?

I was thinking that I’d use the piezo output to plug into input 2 for independent processing. That way I could also use scenes or an expression pedal to switch between or blend the magnetic signal and the piezo sound.
I just use the magnetic jack. Any blending of the output of magnetic and piezo pickups is done using the controls on the guitar.

@Gtrsolo350 i often find that transparent black / grey finishes are too dark to allow the grain of the wood to be seen in all but the brightest lights. What’s the point of having a flame top covered in a finish that makes it nearly impossible to see? This one is more transparent than most and I like it.

Back
Top Bottom