Anti-Fatigue Mat

I tried everything, everything. Wearing the flops at home was the only noticeable change. Everyone is different though. I had a buddy who had used a spoon to smooth his arch with and he said that helped fix it. Lot's of snake oil out there too.
Yup. Here's the YT video that describes plantar fasciitis treatment...the foot/wall exercise worked for me...hopefully it'll work for other folks...

I stood away from the wall, facing the wall with my foot planted flat on the floor. I then lean into the wall, with my leg straight, using the wall for balance. I vary the position of my foot slightly on each stretch.
Now I use a tall block to stand on when I do weighted calf raises and get a good stretch coming down.

I stood away from the wall, facing the wall with my foot planted flat on the floor. I then lean into the wall, with my leg straight, using the wall for balance. I vary the position of my foot slightly on each stretch.
Now I use a tall block to stand on when I do weighted calf raises and get a good stretch coming down.
Yup. That's a calf stretch, also helps with hamstrings. The toes up on the wall target the achilles and plantar tendon on the base of the foot. Since doing these stretches, I've discovered one needs to keep at it for several weeks until the fasciitis clears up. Otherwise the tendon will tighten every time you sit with your feet over a recliner, and hurt when you stand and walk. The doctor suggested also placing a partially water-filled bottle in the freezer and using that as a ice pack on the floor when you sit in a chair.

Will stick with the tendon stretches for now, they seem to work then require lather rinse repeat.

What are people doing for hand/finger stretching before performances? I sometimes end up playing multiple sets with two different bands at gigs and find my hands cramping badly by the end of the evening. Thumb pasting down against my palm on my fretting hand. I do the usual hydration and potassium in preparation, but I am looking for some good pre-gig hand stretching exercises to minimize cramping.

What are people doing for hand/finger stretching before performances? I sometimes end up playing multiple sets with two different bands at gigs and find my hands cramping badly by the end of the evening. Thumb pasting down against my palm on my fretting hand. I do the usual hydration and potassium in preparation, but I am looking for some good pre-gig hand stretching exercises to minimize cramping.
Although not a licensed physician, some hand/finger exercises that work for me are the "spider/mirror" pushups (place each finger on its respective counter part and press together, as if doing a pushup.). Repeat stretch 5 times.

Then, the thumb extension (with thumb extended, rotate thumb backwards with opposite hand pressing towards thumb wrist, be gentle, you can overdo it and injure yourself). Repeat stretch 5 times.

Then, thumb curl, (place opposite hand on back of thumb and press towards thumb palm. Hold for several seconds.). Repeat stretch 5 times.

Then, individual finger stretches (use opposite palm to bend individual fingers backwards until you feel a stretch in the finger pocket. You might hear a knuckle crack. Do not overextend. Repeat stretch 3 times.

Hand massage helps relieve pain. Curl one hand into a loose fist and use the other hand to gently massage the back of the fist hand. Repeat for opposite hand, 2 to 3 minutes each. Massage hands often including during performance breaks. This helps stimulate circulation and helps keeps your hands warm. Wearing fingerless wool gloves also helps keep your hands warm until showtime.

If your hands or fingers hurt after a performance, be sure to ice them down for 20 to 30 minutes, then the following day, apply moist heat. Then, do stretches as normal. If your hands/finger hurt before a performance, you may find your evening may be less than stellar. If possible, do not exacerbate any injury by subjecting your muscles to additional strain during recovery.

Last edited:
Although not a licensed physician, some hand/finger exercises that work for me are the "spider/mirror" pushups (place each finger on its respective counter part and press together, as if doing a pushup.). Repeat stretch 5 times.

Then, the thumb extension (with thumb extended, rotate thumb backwards with opposite hand pressing towards thumb wrist, be gentle, you can overdo it and injure yourself). Repeat stretch 5 times.

Then, thumb curl, (place opposite hand on back of thumb and press towards thumb palm. Hold for several seconds.). Repeat stretch 5 times.

Then, individual finger stretches (use opposite palm to bend individual fingers backwards until you feel a stretch in the finger pocket. You might hear a knuckle crack. Do not overextend. Repeat stretch 3 times.

Hand massage helps relieve pain. Curl one hand into a loose fist and use the other hand to gently massage the back of the fist hand. Repeat for opposite hand, 2 to 3 minutes each. Massage hands often including during performance breaks. This helps stimulate circulation and helps keeps your hands warm. Wearing fingerless wool gloves also helps keep your hands warm until showtime.

If your hands or fingers hurt after a performance, be sure to ice them down for 20 to 30 minutes, then the following day, apply moist heat. Then, do stretches as normal. If your hands/finger hurt before a performance, you may find your evening may be less than stellar. If possible, do not exacerbate any injury by subjecting your muscles to additional strain during recovery.

These are excellent tips! Thank you very much!

These are excellent tips! Thank you very much!
You're welcome. One extra stretch you can do is the wrist curl and extension.

Place your palm against the other and push forwards and allow the other hand to extend backwards. Do this stretch gently until you feel a mild stretch in the pinky side of the hand. Repeat for other hand, hold stretch for 5 seconds. Do one set of 3 stretches and work up to 3 sets of 3 stretches in 3 weeks time.

The wrist curl involves cupping one palm over the back of the 2nd hand and pulling inwards until you feel a mild pinch in the wrist. Stop there. Release your cupped hand, shake out the 2nd hand loosely, fingers loose as well. Repeat 3 times.

Some of these exercises help with carpal tunnel, but will not cure it. Typically, carpal tunnel treatment includes wearing wrist braces when you sleep at night, or in more severe cases, possible surgery.

The exercises mentioned in this and previous posts are designed to improve circulation and mitigate pain without surgery. Consider the cost of surgery and subsequent recovery treatment. These exercises are non-invasive, and also can improve your health without medication.

Back
Top Bottom