Anti-Fatigue Mat

PSea

Experienced
Wondering if anyone has some recommendations for a stage mat of some sorts. was on concrete last night and my back/legs are not appreciating it today.

wondering what size/thickness worked for you and whether any of them roll up easily perhaps.

Before you mess with mats, do you have the best shoes/sneakers on?
Good point. My doctor diagnosed me with plantar fasciitis because of my flat feet. She suggested shoe insoles and stretching exercises, as well as walking for weight management. The insoles seem to be working, though the heels of my shoes ride a little low because of the insoles. Will see how they do at work soon, and will report back regards the muscle fatigue I'd usually experience. But good point regards the sneakers, @FPFL.

Playing on cement is killer on the legs without a mat of some sort. I grew up in the family meat shop, and when deboning or trimming meat for long periods of time while standing on the cement floor, my dad always made sure we were standing on the rubber mats to “save our backs” and legs.

Definitely insoles before a mat. Then the "mat" goes with you everywhere. Also be conscious of your stance when you're playing. I do 4-5 nights a week playing 3-4 set gigs. I always try to "reset" myself in between songs, cause I will definitely shift my weight on my right leg and do all my patch changes with my left. Can be brutal for your lower back and hip if you're not constantly aware.

A lot of musicians I play with always make fun of my "power stance" but it helps keep me playing long hours comfortably.

Also, strength training, kettlebell swing workouts etc have also improved my back and leg stamina for gigs.

Switching to New Balance shoes and doing plenty of stretching has almost completely cured my plantar fasciitis.
I also bought a pair of slippers with a high arch to wear around the house instead of walking barefoot.
I've since taken up weight lifting, at 54, and my stamina has greatly improved.

We went to Branson this last fall break and I spent an entire day walking back and forth across Silver Dollar City theme park. Normally my feet would have been shot after a couple of hours. I felt good enough this time to go walk the river walk downtown that evening.

Also, strength training, kettlebell swing workouts etc have also improved my back and leg stamina for gigs.

Genuinely ... strength training and posture correction is the foundation for managing and overcoming discomfort playing long sets.... well not even just that but the rest of life too 😂

Shoes, mats, and insoles are possibly part of the solution but if we're not physically addressing imbalances then it's all bandaids.

Plus you can get that 12lb Les Paul back out again 😉

...Also be conscious of your stance when you're playing. I do 4-5 nights a week playing 3-4 set gigs. I always try to "reset" myself in between songs, cause I will definitely shift my weight on my right leg and do all my patch changes with my left. Can be brutal for your lower back and hip if you're not constantly aware.

Concur. My work at a retail store requires standing behind a counter for the first 2-½ hours ringing sales, only after that is it possible to step from behind to move about on the sales floor. My right leg looks larger than the left because my stance typically prefers leaning on the right. My former wide-width shoes were great for short excursions to the grocery store, but terrible for standing lengthy periods of time. Been doing this for 22 years. The foot/leg pain began within the last 6 months...

Looking forward to some strength-training (squats, lunges) during the winter months. Absolutely need the use it or lose it mentality.

Switching to New Balance shoes and doing plenty of stretching has almost completely cured my plantar fasciitis.
I also bought a pair of slippers with a high arch to wear around the house instead of walking barefoot.
I've since taken up weight lifting, at 54, and my stamina has greatly improved.

We went to Branson this last fall break and I spent an entire day walking back and forth across Silver Dollar City theme park. Normally my feet would have been shot after a couple of hours. I felt good enough this time to go walk the river walk downtown that evening.
Just invested in some size 11 XX-wide New Balance shoes (ones that felt better before the more recent wide-width shoes). Gotta step up my stretching routine if this fasciitis keeps up...also some plantar fasciitis insoles for the slippers as well...

Took me a year to get over this last bout of Plantar Fasciitis. Using a pair of flip flops with a high arch indoor not walking on bare feet is what eventually fixed it.

When I was suffering from heel spurs and looking for relief I saw a pair of shoes that had springs in the heels. I didn't get them but I was tempted to try them out.

Took me a year to get over this last bout of Plantar Fasciitis. Using a pair of flip flops with a high arch indoor not walking on bare feet is what eventually fixed it.
I wear a brand with a funny name around the house for the same reasons; they are the "recovery sandals" https://www.oofos.com/
Built for runners but useful for anyone whose feet, and especially heels, need a break. Not affiliated at all, just like them.

This might sound strange, but I found a decent YT video with reliable advice (instead of bandaid solutions) that recommends stretching by placing your toes as high as you can up against a wall with your affected heel still on the floor, and leaning gently towards the wall to stretch the heel striation. It works! Easier than trying to grab your foot while its crossed up on your opposite knee.

Regards the wall stretch, hold the stretch for about 10 seconds and repeat 3 times twice a day. That, plus better insole arches will solve the plantar's.

This might sound strange, but I found a decent YT video with reliable advice (instead of bandaid solutions) that recommends stretching by placing your toes as high as you can up against a wall with your affected heel still on the floor, and leaning gently towards the wall to stretch the heel striation. It works! Easier than trying to grab your foot while its crossed up on your opposite knee.

Regards the wall stretch, hold the stretch for about 10 seconds and repeat 3 times twice a day. That, plus better insole arches will solve the plantar's.
I tried everything, everything. Wearing the flops at home was the only noticeable change. Everyone is different though. I had a buddy who had used a spoon to smooth his arch with and he said that helped fix it. Lot's of snake oil out there too.

Back
Top Bottom