Another USA Strat or a Gibson Les Paul Custom used?

dsouza

Experienced
Thinking of buying another guitar. Either another strat which can act as a backup if my USA strat breaks a string during a show, or a Gibson Les Paul Custom (used) for an entirely new tone and take on music.

Which would you choose if you had just the one Strat for now?

Buy an LP, and in case the LP is needed as backup then put an additional EQ pedal (or block) early in the chain or right before the amp to simulate the strat as much as possible.

Buy an LP, and in case the LP is needed as backup then put an additional EQ pedal (or block) early in the chain or right before the amp to simulate the strat as much as possible.
Dont even simulate the strat, imo. Let that LP flag fly!

How often do you break strings? If this is a regular occurrence, and you are being paid to play, then I would say you need a guitar that will really act as a backup. Maybe get the Strat and put a HB in the bridge for some additional versatility? Or if you think the LP will be something you could use a fair amount in your show for some diversity in tone, and would use it a significant amount during your show, then get the LP. The fact that you would be putting less wear on the Strat's strings each show would decrease the likeliness of a string breakage.

Another vote for adding the new flavor.

I used to travel with two maple-neck, Strats and two Les Paul standards. I discovered pretty quickly that two guitars with identical specs are still a ways apart tone-wise. I spent way too much time and money trying to make them clones not too mention the weight and freight of traveling with a 4 slot guitar trunk.

Back
Top Bottom