Another low-cost amplification option for guitar cabs

Chris Hurley

Power User
Looking for a lightweight, low-cost power amp for use with your axe-fx and guitar cabs? Are you the sort that doesn't need bone crushing, glass shattering high volumes? Fancy a little bit of DIY effort?

This isn't the only one, nor is it ideal for all circumstances but I assembled a little power amp using one of these and have been pretty happy with the results:

http://www.justblair.co.uk/sure-2x100w-tk2050-amplifier-first-impressions.html

1273084265486479085.jpg

This particular one can run off of a single DC voltage while some others require positive and negative voltages. I'm using a big laptop power supply with mine, though I'm pretty sure the 19V rail limits the output. I've got a 24V laptop supply on the way. The whole project has been sub-$100USD.

Yes, I know- its stupid to use an axe-fx with cheap guitars, and cheap power amps like this or the equally cool Electro-Harmonix 22/44 Caliber/Magnum. A $2000 axe-fx deserves a $2000 power amp and $2000 cabinets and $2000 guitars. I get it. Spare me the speech. :) Maybe this would help someone out who is saving for their next purchase after blowing their budget on the axe-fx.

Anticipating a couple of questions:

The particular unit I bought is 100Wx2 into 4 ohms with minimal distortion. I run 8 ohm cabs, so I'm getting 30 watts or so. The volume on 19V power supplies is similar to the EH 22 Caliber, a pair of which I've used at club shows from time to time.

This unit is not bridgeable for more power. It is two amps that are already bridged to deliver the 100W per side. They get loud enough to bother the neighbors but they aren't as loud as a 50W tube amp. They also get a little dirty when you turn them up, but it sounds fine to me on cleanish, dirty, and very dirty settings. If you need bone-crushing low end at high volumes, go look something with 3000 watts.

There exist similarly priced 80x2 units that might be better suited for 8 ohm cabinets.

There are also smaller units. I bought a 20x2 unit that came in a nice enclosure but I expect it will really only be good for bedroom use. It was $15 shipped from our dear friends in the far east. Maybe that makes sense for bedroom axe-fx users. I'm not sure yet but I'll report back in 30 days when it arrives.

Gig test went good with this little amp. I haven't yet gotten a larger power supply for it, so I'm still using the 150W laptop power supply. I need to work on how it is attached in my rack but other than that, I have no complaints.

For folks that want to use a couple of guitar cabs and don't need monster volume- highly recommended.

Back
Top Bottom