Another learning curve, this time with cabs.

Joero6

Inspired
So I bought the Axe FX 2 XL+ just over a year ago. Like most people who made the jump from regular ams, there was a learning curve. I recently starting getting fairly comfy with making new presets, with only the most minor of issues...all of which have been solved by the great members of this group. With that being said, something happend just a few days ago that threw me a curve ball. Over the last 5 months, I have only played through headphones due to our recent move to our new house. I pulled out one of my guitar cabs, and plugged it in and started going through presets. While messing with the presets, I turned off the cab block I had in the preset. I honestly had no idea that you could do that, and for some reason...I never thought to try. In my head, I just thought that you needed an entire signal chain. I know there is no right or wrong when it comes to finding your own sound, and I know that plenty of people on here use the Axe FX in many different ways. From what I have read, the cab blocks work like an eq. I did some testing, and some presets sound better with the blocks, and some don't. The one thing I did notice, was that with the cab block off the sound seemed less compressed and a little more open. My signal chain is just the Axe Fx with a Rocktron guitar silencer noise gate in the loop, which runs into two 4x12 guitar cabinets with 85 watt celestions wired to 4 ohms. I am interested in hearing from other people who run with a real guitar cab and their experience with this. Anybody else using presets with and without cab blocks? Any opinions on the pros and cons of using cab blocks or not? Thanks Joe

I use cab blocks with my 25watt greenback cabs. I never turn them off and use both cab modeling and power amp modeling turned on at all times along with my real cab and my power amp.

Everyone is going to have different results of course. I get a little too much sizzle without a cab block or if I turn off modeling. Some guys like that sizzle. I prefer a warmer, less sonic sound.

I agree with Danny Danzi. My rig is a AxefxII into a Matrix GT800FX poweramp into 2 EVM12L cabs that I built. With cab sim off it was just too tinny and thin sounding. I like a warmer, more chunky and compressed sound than most guitar players. With the help of Danny's videos I was able to leave cab sim on all the time and tweak them to greatness. I highly recommend watching his videos. This also allowed me to still check out cab packs with my rig and broaden my horizons. This is a very personal choice, but like everyone says, there are no rules. Let your ears be your guide and seek help from masters like Danny.

Let your ears be your guide and seek help from masters like Danny.

LOL! I don't know about being a master, but you sure did make me smile reading that to where the master is YOU. :) I've had a really bad day....and this brought a huge smile to my face not only for the awesome compliment, but because my videos helped you. Thanks Andrew...much appreciated. :)

Back
Top Bottom