Another headphone solution for those that may want/need it

Chad Beattie

Experienced
I bought one of these to try with the FM3

Amazon product ASIN B081MZVK64

I have a set of UE10's for my IEMs and it powers those just fine. It has a volume knob on the unit so you can adjust the volume separately. One advantage for some may be utilizing the SPDIF connection on the FM3 and not tie up the OUT1 or OUT2 connections for headphones. I have my OUT1 set at 50% and SPDIF set to copy OUT1. On the DAC unit, I set the volume knob about half way. I tested using both youtube video's and also playing guitar. Turned up all the way it's too loud for what I would use. I mention this because you can buy a cheaper version of the unit that doesn't have a headphone knob. And that one you need to crank the FM3 output all the way up to have the volume where you might want it.

The DAC unit comes with SPDIF cable, power cable (you have to plug the other end into a USB block which I'm sure everyone has those laying around). It's very small, not plastic (that I can tell), feels pretty sturdy. No telling how it will hold up in the long run, but seems to be a simple solution.

Attachments

• 26ECAFDF-226B-4336-ABA1-A7E31A1BE4BF.jpeg
    26ECAFDF-226B-4336-ABA1-A7E31A1BE4BF.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 141
  • 8260A714-4613-439A-9C1E-252D8E675A1E.jpeg
    8260A714-4613-439A-9C1E-252D8E675A1E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 139

I have a set of UE10's for my IEMs and it powers those just fine. It has a volume knob on the unit so you can adjust the volume separately. One advantage for some may be utilizing the SPDIF connection on the FM3 and not tie up the OUT1 or OUT2 connections for headphones. I have my OUT1 set at 50% and SPDIF set to copy OUT1. On the DAC unit, I set the volume knob about half way. I tested using both youtube video's and also playing guitar. Turned up all the way it's too loud for what I would use. I mention this because you can buy a cheaper version of the unit that doesn't have a headphone knob. And that one you need to crank the FM3 output all the way up to have the volume where you might want it.

The DAC unit comes with SPDIF cable, power cable (you have to plug the other end into a USB block which I'm sure everyone has those laying around). It's very small, not plastic (that I can tell), feels pretty sturdy. No telling how it will hold up in the long run, but seems to be a simple solution.

Wow. That's super cool to know. Question on the USB, tho....when you say a USB "block", I assume you mean a charger base like one uses to charge their phones or tablets, right?

Have you tried powering it by plugging the wide end of the USB cable into the wide USB port on the back of the FM3?

I wonder if it'd work off a sturdy powerbank too.....

Wow. That's super cool to know. Question on the USB, tho....when you say a USB "block", I assume you mean a charger base like one uses to charge their phones or tablets, right?

Have you tried powering it by plugging the wide end of the USB cable into the wide USB port on the back of the FM3?

I wonder if it'd work off a sturdy powerbank too.....
Yes the standard ones for phones etc... not sure what they are actually called to be honest :)

I think I read in a different post the USB port is currently disabled so no power from it yet. I did plug in anyway to give it a shot but no luck. It would be cool down the road if it could be enabled to supply 5V for stuff like this.

I have also plugged it directly into a usb type hub device, so anything that will supply standard USB power should work.

This is a cool option, thanks for sharing!
np. I got the idea from @bradlake who posted a similar solution. I saw that and thought, this might work well to get the FM3 SPDIF signal to my SHURE PSM and free up OUT2 for fx loop use. But after using it all day as a basic headphone system, I'm probably going to keep it just for that and will be it's primary use. Works great and plenty of volume for my IEM's.

np. I got the idea from @bradlake who posted a similar solution. I saw that and thought, this might work well to get the FM3 SPDIF signal to my SHURE PSM and free up OUT2 for fx loop use. But after using it all day as a basic headphone system, I'm probably going to keep it just for that and will be it's primary use. Works great and plenty of volume for my IEM's.

You have it taped to the side?

Just bumping this since the question is getting raised again. I think this is the ideal solution, for me anyway, or anybody that doesn't need the S/PDIF out. Doesn't require using up the Out 1 or 2 jacks!

Back
Top Bottom