Another Control Switch Question

dannyp64

I've been reviewing the message board conversation on this but my question isn't answered and wondering if someone can help.

I have 2 scenes. Scene 1 is a Matchless amp and scene 2 is a Marshall amp.

I realized I want to forgo an overdrive pedal in favor of created a CS1 to increase the Matchless amps gain for my overdrive sound. I set the CS1 to increase the gain of the amp when I press a foot switch and realized I needed to add perimeters for the bass, mid, master volume and input trim to compensate for the increasing gain. I took my time and was all set creating a CS1 for my Matchless to go from edge of breakup to an overdriven amp sound that was fine tuned to compensate for the increases associated with increasing an amps gain.

Once I was done with my Matchless amp and the CS1 was good to go there (or so I thought), I switched scenes to my Marshall to do the same thing. That's when I was surprised to see that CS1 for my Matchless on scene 1 was also tied to my Marshall amps, gain, bass, mid, MV, and input trim on scene 2.

Here's where my question comes in... How do I create a CS1 that only affects scene 1 and a CS2 that only affects scene 2? I don't want my CS1 affecting all the amps in my preset.

I seen a lot of conversation on using the CS per Scene in the Controllers library but the "off, on, last" are not helping me with my issue. They are only changing if my scene starts with the CS1 on, off, or what ever was last.

Any advice is welcomed and again, I know this is already discussed so I apologize that I can't find the answer to my specific issue.

I've been reviewing the message board conversation on this but my question isn't answered and wondering if someone can help.

I have 2 scenes. Scene 1 is a Matchless amp and scene 2 is a Marshall amp.

I realized I want to forgo an overdrive pedal in favor of created a CS1 to increase the Matchless amps gain for my overdrive sound. I set the CS1 to increase the gain of the amp when I press a foot switch and realized I needed to add perimeters for the bass, mid, master volume and input trim to compensate for the increasing gain. I took my time and was all set creating a CS1 for my Matchless to go from edge of breakup to an overdriven amp sound that was fine tuned to compensate for the increases associated with increasing an amps gain.

Once I was done with my Matchless amp and the CS1 was good to go there (or so I thought), I switched scenes to my Marshall to do the same thing. That's when I was surprised to see that CS1 for my Matchless on scene 1 was also tied to my Marshall amps, gain, bass, mid, MV, and input trim on scene 2.

Here's where my question comes in... How do I create a CS1 that only affects scene 1 and a CS2 that only affects scene 2? I don't want my CS1 affecting all the amps in my preset.

I seen a lot of conversation on using the CS per Scene in the Controllers library but the "off, on, last" are not helping me with my issue. They are only changing if my scene starts with the CS1 on, off, or what ever was last.

Any advice is welcomed and again, I know this is already discussed so I apologize that I can't find the answer to my specific issue.

You'd want to associate each modifier attached to CS1 only to be active in the particular channel that your Matchless is assigned to (which is in the upper right hand corner of each modifier screen on Axe-Edit), but if you're only using two channels of amps for this preset, it would be way easier just to use a third amp block channel for your overdriven Matchless, e.g.:

Channel A: Matchless
Channel B: Matchless Overdriven
Channel C: Marshall

This way you don't have to deal with modifiers at all! Then, instead of using a control switch to activate your overdriven Matchless, just assign a footswitch to toggle between channels A and B of the amp block. :)

Not currently possible. Modifiers are assigned across all channels of a block. The modifier can be active for either just one channel or all of them, but you can't have unique modifier settings per channel. Any modifier values you choose in one channel will be in place for all of them.

One possible work around would be to use scene controllers instead of a control switch. Scene controllers will let you specify a unique setting for the controller per scene instead of just the on/off of the control switch.

You'd want to associate each modifier attached to CS1 only to be active in the particular channel that your Matchless is assigned to (which is in the upper right hand corner of each modifier screen on Axe-Edit), but if you're only using two channels of amps for this preset, it would be way easier just to use a third amp block channel for your overdriven Matchless, e.g.:

Channel A: Matchless
Channel B: Matchless Overdriven
Channel C: Marshall

This way you don't have to deal with modifiers at all! Then, instead of using a control switch to activate your overdriven Matchless, just assign a footswitch to toggle between channels A and B of the amp block. :)
So I've played around with the channel assignment on each parameters Edit Modifier screen and assigned all of them to channel A, which is my Matchless (channel B is my Marshall). CS1 being all set to channel A still shows up affecting scene 2 of my Marshall. So it didn't change anything for me. The option of having 3 scenes is not as optimal for other reasons but I may have to go that route if I can't figure out how to have CS1 only affecting my Matchless in channel A... But I appreciate the response!!

So I've played around with the channel assignment on each parameters Edit Modifier screen and assigned all of them to channel A, which is my Matchless (channel B is my Marshall). CS1 being all set to channel A still shows up affecting scene 2 of my Marshall. So it didn't change anything for me. The option of having 3 scenes is not as optimal for other reasons but I may have to go that route if I can't figure out how to have CS1 only affecting my Matchless in channel A... But I appreciate the response!!
Did you actually test it? The solid yellow dots will still show up on all channels but will only work on channel A if you have it set up correctly.

Did you actually test it? The solid yellow dots will still show up on all channels but will only work on channel A if you have it set up correctly.
Good question since I could just see the dots on both my amps and assume. But I did test it and no matter what I do I can only set up one Control Switch for all the scenes no matter how I set the channels.

You don't have to change scenes to change channels though. You can assign a footswitch to toggle between two channels on a block without touching your scenes. If you'd like to post or pm your preset, I can take a look.

I can't figure out how channel A modifiers would affect your Marshall in channel B. I wonder if you missed one of your modifiers when trying to assign them to channel A?

Not currently possible. Modifiers are assigned across all channels of a block. The modifier can be active for either just one channel or all of them, but you can't have unique modifier settings per channel. Any modifier values you choose in one channel will be in place for all of them.

One possible work around would be to use scene controllers instead of a control switch. Scene controllers will let you specify a unique setting for the controller per scene instead of just the on/off of the control switch.

And you're right of course when it comes to going beyond a single channel. Scene controllers would be fine, but I wonder if more amp channels are all he needs.

Possibly. Could also switch between two different amp blocks if the other is not already in use. Each block could have its own modifiers then.

Last edited:
I had this same challenge. I soon switched to using the preamp boost feature (rather than change the main preamp gain) - the same switch toggles the boost on or off for each channel, but the boost amount can be set differently for each channel.

It’s a different approach, but I’ve found that it actually works better even from a tone perspective in many cases, and works great from a switching perspective.

Use two amp blocks, and instead of switching between channels in the same block, switch blocks. Then you can put modifiers how you want on each amp, and they won't interfere with each other. Best practice is to put the amp blocks on parallel rows, set them to mute on bypass, and you'll be golden....

Last edited:
Use two amp blocks, and instead of switching between channels in the same block, switch blocks. Then you can put modifiers how you want on each amp, and they won't interfere with each other. Best practice is to put the amp blocks on parallel rows, set them to mute on bypass, and you'll be golden....
I like this idea but I need a foot switch to turn one on and mute the other when I switch back and forth. I’ll try and figure out how to do that. Thanks!

Sorry I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Something came up where I might not be able to turn on my unit for a little while. It looks like some people have come up with good options in the meantime. I had missed initially that you were using both CS1 and CS2. Sorry about that!

Back
Top Bottom