Another AXE-FX NAME TIMEOUT! thread.

dB

Inspired
A week ago I updated my AXE II to 3.04 and my MFC to 1.04. Everything was working fine until this morning, when I got the dreaded AXE-FX NAME TIMEOUT! message. I read thru any & every post I could find about this and tried everything:
I bought a new straight Cat5e cable today. Didn't work.
I made sure the MFC was set to AXE-II mode and the port was set to EXPANSION. Didn't work.
I made sure the I/O>MIDI> SEND REALTIME SYSEX was set to all. Didn't work.
I reset the system parameters on the AFII. Worked - but only for a minute.
I did a Factory Default Setting Reset on the MFC. Didn't work.
Even when nothing is plugged into the MFC and I power it up with the wall-wart, I still get the AXE-FX NAME TIMEOUT! message.
And when the cat5e cable is plugged in the back of the AFII, none of the front panel controls work.

What I find to odd is that my rig was fine and this did not occur for the last week. I got all gung-ho on writing some new presets a few days ago, and everything was working fine went I finished playing last night. But this morning my rig gave me the finger! :-x It seemed to always get stuck on one preset (223) which was a BIG patch, but the CPU was only at 92%. I thought that might have something to do with it until I noticed that it would still happen when nothing was connected to the MFC except for the wall-wart power supply.

My MFC has performed FLAWLESSLY with my Ultra since I got it. I am so bummed, but I am sure someone here or Fractal Support will have/find the answer. Please help!!!

Reload firmware - Factory reset - Set MFC to AXE-II (Expansion) > USE different CAT5 cable. . Post results..

Been working fine all morning....AAAAAARGH!!! Now it's back. I thought it was getting hung up at a series of presets I wrote that had a bunch of FX blocks in the preset (but not active), but now it is doing it again after a system reset and nothing but the wall-wart connected. WTF! It has to be an issue with the MFC and have nothing to do with the AFII because it will give me the NAME TIMEOUT! message with no connection to the AFII (and nothing but the wall-wart connected). I'll try re-loading the 1.04 firmware and see what happens. Does the firmware not like "fully loaded" presets? Because it worked well all morning until it hit these presets. Hmmm.....

I ditched the cat5 cable and went back to midi, and everything seems to be OK now? I had a preset that was heavily loaded and it seemed to be causing the problem. JavaJunkie said I might have bad data in the preset, so I replaced it and now everything seems to be OK. Fingers crossed! Thanks guys!
Happy New Year!

Bad news. Just get the reply from FAS.
----------------------------------------------
It sounds like a problem with the RJ45 jack on the Axe-Fx.

Please inspect it for damage. If you don't see anything obvious, such as mis-aligned pins which can be corrected with a small screwdriver (UNIT POWERED OFF FIRST!) the unit will likely need service.

Back
Top Bottom