Another “lost in the mix” thread

How much of a boost are we talking? What about the other frequencies in a GEQ or PEQ; keep them at zero? Is boosting the EQ block level above 0.0 ultimately a volume boost of sorts?
Boost as needed, probably 2-5dB. Yes, it is an overall boost, so you might set the master level down a bit to compensate. Other frequencies leave alone, but CUT LOWS. Try -12dB/OCT low-cut starting at 80-120Hz. This helps you amplify and set levels with your midrange. Often the low frequencies make it hard to set levels at soundcheck that can be heard in the show.

Ime it could easily just be where the audience is in relation to the room. Some rooms have really bad spots..

For example, the Jube in Calgary, has 3 levels with balconies.

The eng mixes for the desk... us with seats center on lowest tier with a wall behind us, sounds like you are underwater in a toilet.... but at the desk and crystal clear, and front of audience amazing... my seat.. uhh what is this garbage.

Anyways this is my experience when people say I'm lost in the mix... I'm actually not, they just are in a bad place in the venue.

Boost 3.3kHz. Unstoppable. Sounds TERRIBLE without the band, but will cut through when the band is there. Add 2.2kHz to thicken (this is the overdrive-harmonic region).
I'm assuming you do this with a parametric EQ? What Q and gain would you use? And I'm guessing that this would be post everything?

I'm assuming you do this with a parametric EQ? What Q and gain would you use? And I'm guessing that this would be post everything?

I don't like the idea of trying to fix the room using an EQ block on the FM9. It's hard to tell if it sounds right out front while being on stage, it's hard to adjust when checking the FOH sound via a loop while the FM9 remains on stage. In my eyes it's the sound guy's job to fix it. And if you don't have one, well, your FOH will most likely suck in so many ways that a buried guitar is just one of the many issues. Just my 0.02$, of course.

I don't like the idea of trying to fix the room using an EQ block on the FM9. It's hard to tell if it sounds right out front while being on stage, it's hard to adjust when checking the FOH sound via a loop while the FM9 remains on stage. In my eyes it's the sound guy's job to fix it. And if you don't have one, well, your FOH will most likely suck in so many ways that a buried guitar is just one of the many issues. Just my 0.02$, of course.

I understand what you're saying and in a situation where we had the luxury of having a dedicated sound guy (and not our bass player who is singing, playing bass, playing MC, coordinating the band, and making mix adjustments all at the same time), that would certainly be the case. But, I need some simple solutions that I might implement that moves the dial in the right direction. Something like a PEQ block sounds like a reasonable way to test a hypothesis that it's an EQ problem.

Back
Top Bottom