annoying quirk with axe fx's bypass.

teejay

Inspired
One thing that really bugs me that i haven't found a workaround for is that you cannot bypass/un-bypass any fx block from the front panel that has the block bypass assigned to a modifer...

There are times when i want to quickly edit presets/blocks without going to the trouble of hooking up my foot controller however you cannot A/B the changes (via bypass), for example, say my Drive Block is bypassed as the saved state of a preset and i have the Drive bypass assigned to an I/A, i can not un-bypass it via the front panel button... I have to either remove the modifier or go to the hassle of hooking up my controller. The same applies with the Editor, the bypass function has no affect on blocks that are already assigned to bypass via a mod.

Is there a reason for this or is it a slight design flaw?

T

Personally: I love that it works this way. I'll assign my wah block to a modifier to turn it on and off, and then I have an A/B switch on my controller that sends the global bypass on/off signal which will turn on and off the other effects. Gives me an A setting, an A+wah setting, a B setting and a B+wah setting. Sweet!

teejay said:

T

Probably to prevent accidental problems on stage.
You want the ultimate control at your feet.
Also you don't want your pedal board going "out of sync" just because someone leaned
over your rack.

;)

AndrewSimon said:
teejay said:

T

Probably to prevent accidental problems on stage.
You want the ultimate control at your feet.
Also you don't want your pedal board going "out of sync" just because someone leaned
over your rack.

;)
Possibly, but in 20 years of owning top shelf gear i've personally never come across this.... nor do i allow "leaning over my rack" ;)

teejay said:
Possibly, but in 20 years of owning top shelf gear i've personally never come across this.... nor do i allow "leaning over my rack" ;)

[enter lewd Mortega about "leaning over my rack" here]

teejay said:
One thing that really bugs me that i haven't found a workaround for is that you cannot bypass/un-bypass any fx block from the front panel that has the block bypass assigned to a modifer...

Agreed.

iaresee said:
Personally: I love that it works this way. I'll assign my wah block to a modifier to turn it on and off, and then I have an A/B switch on my controller that sends the global bypass on/off signal which will turn on and off the other effects. Gives me an A setting, an A+wah setting, a B setting and a B+wah setting. Sweet!

This is exactly what I do as well, or instead of wah I will assign the expression pedal to blend in delay or crystal FX. After much experimentation, it just doesn't make sense to me to have a lot of IA's controlling different FX, syncing their states with the footcontroller, remembering what is on/off in each patch. I love the global bypass, if I need to turn more than one effect or group of effects on/off within a patch, I'd rather make a new patch. Thus, I can freely edit/bypass the FX blocks without assigning them to separate modifiers, except for the ones I assign to the exp pedal.

I don't need or care to use a large number of patches. I've used large traditional pedal boards and done the "pedal dance" and I'm glad to be done with it. I spent a lot of hours designing and building analog switching systems, for the single purpose of being able to switch from one tone to another with one stomp - which is the major point of MIDI presets for me. I get everything I want from the Axe, a few excellent tones, easy to get to, and I'm happy and can concentrate on the music.

tubetonez said:
iaresee said:

This is exactly what I do as well, or instead of wah I will assign the expression pedal to blend in delay or crystal FX. After much experimentation, it just doesn't make sense to me to have a lot of IA's controlling different FX, syncing their states with the footcontroller, remembering what is on/off in each patch. I love the global bypass, if I need to turn more than one effect or group of effects on/off within a patch, I'd rather make a new patch. Thus, I can freely edit/bypass the FX blocks without assigning them to separate modifiers, except for the ones I assign to the exp pedal.

I don't need or care to use a large number of patches. I've used large traditional pedal boards and done the "pedal dance" and I'm glad to be done with it. I spent a lot of hours designing and building analog switching systems, for the single purpose of being able to switch from one tone to another with one stomp - which is the major point of MIDI presets for me. I get everything I want from the Axe, a few excellent tones, easy to get to, and I'm happy and can concentrate on the music.

The way I understand the OP, teejay is talking about the difficulty of editing blocks that have modifiers attached. Nothing to do with the merits of different footswitching schemes.

GM Arts said:
tubetonez said:
iaresee said:

The way I understand the OP, teejay is talking about the difficulty of editing blocks that have modifiers attached. Nothing to do with the merits of different footswitching schemes.
Exactly, i'm quite happy with my switching system... I use at least 4 I/A switches in each preset to toggle parameter values. Some of those extend to toggling the Bypass state of a block. My grief is that when the bypass state of a block is attached to a modifier, the front panel button no longer works which to me is annoying when i'm editing because it means that i can't just turn the Axe FX on to edit, i have to connect my controller up as well which is often an inconvenience...

teejay said:
Exactly, i'm quite happy with my switching system... I use at least 4 I/A switches in each preset to toggle parameter values. Some of those extend to toggling the Bypass state of a block. My grief is that when the bypass state of a block is attached to a modifier, the front panel button no longer works which to me is annoying when i'm editing because it means that i can't just turn the Axe FX on to edit, i have to connect my controller up as well which is often an inconvenience...
I hadn't even noticed that. Guess I had it off and left it off.

rickboot said:
teejay said:

[enter lewd Mortega about "leaning over my rack" here]
I can't believe I missed that Rick!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In searching for a pic for this... I came across this image... disturbing...

old.jpg

Back
Top Bottom