Announcing the New FM9 Amp Modeler/FX Processor

Why is it that the tonematch block is the one thing that never makes it into the other units? I think that could help compete against the Quad Cortex which is a floor modeler does the "Kemper-style" profiling.

Wow !!!!! Great news !!!! This will make my 4th Fractal unit. Congrats to the entire Fractal team.
I was in Boston for the amp show that revealed the FM3 , and would love nothing more than to see you all again for a repeat.
Good time - Great people -

Sent a 2nd waitlist request from my main email address (That I've purchased all my Axe-FX units, cab packs, software etc. with.) and got no response again. Sent a request from a secondary address and got an immediate response. I don't really care if I'm further back in the queue as my Axe III and FM-3 cover my needs at the moment but I'm curious if either my earlier request went through and I'm somehow blocking the response or if Fractal is somehow blocking my main address on their end.

Yes, 4CM should work great. The FM9 uses the same "flagship" analog processing as the Axe-Fx III which evolved from the FX8.

The FX8 was the best analog path I'd ever designed but the product, unfortunately, did not sell well. I took that design, tweaked it a bit and used it in the Axe-Fx III.
Mmm, people are so strange, In my opinion the FX8 is one of the greatest multieffects ever created...

Mmm, people are so strange, In my opinion the FX8 is one of the greatest multieffects ever created...

I agree, but tube amp traditionalists tend to want the stomp box / all analog experience rather than a digital multi-FX. Those who try the FX8 are the types who would be easily convinced to go all digital. The market for a ultra tweakable digital effects unit for use with a tube amp is going to be small as a result.

Around 2011-12 I got a TC Nova System. I remember that and the G-System being really popular. If the FX8 was available by then I would've jumped in immediately, the Axe-FX II was above my possibilites so when the AX8 was released that was my transition into full digital.

...unless FAS will give sweet "trade-in" pricing or I want to lose my ass on Reverb I guess I'm back to wondering how the other half lives...
Have you seen the prices on Reverb? Nobody is losing body parts.
If you own two Fractal devices you really need to try this. I was doing it with the FM3 and AFIII as well.

With the FM9 having both SPDIF in and out it's even easier to put it in the loop of the AFIII. Two cables. And it's stereo.
How would that work? What would be the purpose of it? Please excuse my lack of comprehension but that's mind boggling to me.

Any chance we could get an explanation on why the Pedal 1/2/3 jacks only support a single external switch each? The Jacks are TRS, so why can't they support a dual external switches? This seems like a regression from the FM3 since it's Pedal 1/2 jacks can each do dual external switches. Was this a cost cutting measure? Is this a hardware or firmware matter? If the latter, could it be upgraded later on to support dual switches?

FM9 Switches.png

If they keep tweaking and refining it will really kill one day but that day is not today
And, every day that passes their competition is also moving forward.

None of the companies are sitting still, and sometimes one will leapfrog the next, and sometimes it's a continuous series of passing each other again and again.

I spent enough time looking at modeling companies, and bounced off Fractal once and went back to tubes then Line 6, then back to Fractal. My attitude at this point is that I'm home with FAS. There's nothing anyone could pull out of their sleeve that'd make me interested. I'm not a fanboi, I'm well traveled in the IT world and how it all works, and Fractal does things like I would. I'm good with that.

Tru dat. At UVA I got 8 or 9 of us wasted college kids into my 1980 compact Sentra and proceeded to get pulled over by campus police. My rationale for being the 'designated driver' was that I was the least drunk. Luckily they only gave me a warning and told me to sleep it off. I agreed.

Have you seen the prices on Reverb? Nobody is losing body parts.
Selling price and Sold price are going to be different. You see how many are open to offers? And how many are there now? Yesterday it was 20. Today it was 25.
Edit: Now there's 29.
Edit: I was wrong. There's 33 (unless 4 more got listed in the last 2 minutes, which could be...)

Last edited:
We received about 20 emails yesterday asking the price. It's in the press release, on the web site, in the forum post, in the Facebook post, on Instagram, on Guitar World/Music Radar, and other places too.

It makes me think people are unable to imagine that it is possible to learn things on one's own. I don't think that it's laziness, per se, because it takes more effort to ask the question than to find the answer. Maybe "lazy thinking". Whatever it is, this mentality demonstrates something about our societies.
I didn't see it in this thread for some reason. I googled "Fractal FM9 Price" and found it in 2 seconds lmao... imagine not having the brain power to google something and click on the first result

I think this is a great product but I rely so much on my FC-6 display to read my preset numbers and titles because my FM3 display is too small to read standing up, that I probably won't buy the FM9 until the display is easier to read?

I think this is a great product but I rely so much on my FC-6 display to read my preset numbers and titles because my FM3 display is too small to read standing up, that I probably won't buy the FM9 until the display is easier to read?

Good point I think. I don’t know how difficult it is to read the preset names? It looks fairly small but I have never used a FM3 or FC myself.

Well ... I was on the fence about which 'Cygnus' model to choose, FM3 or AxeFX3 and also bemoaning about needing to add a FC6 .... not now.

Looks like a great truly portable product. Hope G66 get their mitts on some soon

I haven`t tried this yet..... but at Amazon there are quite a few difference types of magnifying plastic sheets you can get. I`m going to try a few and see how well they`d work to magnify my FM9 screen. Should be easy to cut to size. And magnification is up to 3X. ;p

Back
Top Bottom