Announcing Axe-Fx II XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your 'normal' Axe II will be a lot harder to sell now the XL is there because almost everyone who doesn't have an Axe II yet will go for the XL version instead of the 'old' one. Wonder what the resell value for a normal Axe II would be right now?

I don't agree that the Axe-fx II will be harder to sell at all last I checked they're still out of stock.

I think your 'normal' Axe II will be a lot harder to sell now the XL is there because almost everyone who doesn't have an Axe II yet will go for the XL version instead of the 'old' one. Wonder what the resell value for a normal Axe II would be right now?

I highly doubt that, I sold my Ultra for a very good price when I purchased a II. Many prospective buyers will prefer to buy a used II as opposed to shedding out another $ 1000 or 800 € for a new XL. IMHO...

CPU ceiling is really my only limitation. It's to the point I can't even use axe edit to make adjustments on many presets because just hooking up the USB causes CPU overload. Yes I do know and understand how to save CPU and have applied that however, I'm still pushing the limit.

Same here. Double the current CPU limit of the Axe FXII is what I am waiting for.

Can people with a Axe 2 "use" a preset created on an Axe 2 XL? Even if the original XL preset doesn't use any new effects features? Or can only XL users share there presets (separately from the older Axe 2 users)

Built-in backup firmware allows recovery in the event of complications during update.

Could this new feature also be utilized for A/B testing two firmware versions (without re-flashing each time)?

I've always though it would be great to have a 'dual-boot' Axe-Fx.

I think your 'normal' Axe II will be a lot harder to sell now the XL is there because almost everyone who doesn't have an Axe II yet will go for the XL version instead of the 'old' one.
If you're talking about buying direct from Fractal, I would agree 100% (EDIT: assuming a projected $300 or so price differential). If you're talking about used units in the secondary market, I think the prices of MK I/II's will start to come down just a little due to the XL, and that could make a used MK I/II even more attractive . . .

Is the new XL the same physical size as the II? I have the parts to build a custom rack case for my II and might as well make it fit both just in case :)

I'm somebody who's yet to buy an Axe-FX but plans to. I won't need extra space for presets nor cabinets, but I will likely go for the newest model anyway. I'm curious as to what the future upgrades designated for the extra memory might entail. Perhaps I'd be quite happy I paid for it later. Perhaps not. Insurance!

This is a win-win for everyone involved. For me personally, I'm happy as a clam with my AxeFX-II and would not purchase the new one. It would be nice to have but I still haven't scratched the surface with the current unit and wouldn't be able to justify the price, etc. It is great that we still have Ultra users, current II users, and will have the new unit as well. Everyone wins. :)

The trailer I did for this XL was actually supposed to have a message like: "Other people thought Axe-Fx II was overkill... FAS thought.... f*ck it... let's go even further." :D

For me it was the same feeling I got when II was announced.. at the time no one really saw anything wrong with the Ultra and the II seemed like a step to an unnecessary direction. Well we were proved wrong that time. Right now I don't think I've ever maxed out my CPU on the Axe-Fx and believe me I've tried.

I'm not going to say that I have better business sense than FAS because obviously they know their stuff to be where they are right now in the music industry, but I will say the same thing I said back when II was introduced: If FAS introduced a floor based cost effective alternative with "the essentials" and had a lower price for it (under 1k), they would open a whole new market and grow into a much bigger company. But that would be such an obvious choice and they are not taking it so I assume that was never the goal for FAS. The goal is to be the ultimate premium product. Kind of like the ironic American "Big Mac rather than the salad" train of thought that SwedishChef was talking about. ;) I dig that too.

I'd be willing to bet I could put up a craigslist ad saying a new Fractal was coming out so I want to sell mine and get $1900 for it in a day.

The trailer I did for this XL was actually supposed to have a message like: "Other people thought Axe-Fx II was overkill... FAS thought.... f*ck it... let's go even further." :D

For me it was the same feeling I got when II was announced.. at the time no one really saw anything wrong with the Ultra and the II seemed like a step to an unnecessary direction. Well we were proved wrong that time. Right now I don't think I've ever maxed out my CPU on the Axe-Fx and believe me I've tried.

I'm not going to say that I have better business sense than FAS because obviously they know their stuff to be where they are right now in the music industry, but I will say the same thing I said back when II was introduced: If FAS introduced a floor based cost effective alternative with "the essentials" and had a lower price for it (under 1k), they would open a whole new market and grow into a much bigger company. But that would be such an obvious choice and they are not taking it so I assume that was never the goal for FAS. The goal is to be the ultimate premium product. Kind of like the ironic American "Big Mac rather than the salad" train of thought that SwedishChef was talking about. ;) I dig that too.

I thought the same thing, a la carte amps & FX (say, 10 amp models, a dozen cabs, and however many FX you've got room left for) pulled from an online source much like Axe Change. The user gets what he needs/has room for and can still change at will. Just won't have everything under the sun at one time in the unit.

I can understand why they wouldn't want to do this... why introduce a cheaper unit when it would likely kill sales of the bigger versions, but it would be cool!

Then again, reduced cost could potentially exponentiate sales to the point of being more profitable vs. the lost potential rack unit sales. Only one way to know for sure ;)

I think the III/IV/V/future will include a PA option like a built-in Matrix GT800/1000/1500. Perhaps a buyout merger is on the horizon? Fun to guess.

Would go right to the XL if I'd had to buy one today. Should be a nobrainer for any studio BTW. The double effect block capacity is IMHO an utmost indispensable feature. Personnally I tend to load a max my patches so not to have to change patches within a song and thus way too easily get to 92% CPU load. With the high res IR's I guess CPU load might become a real issue even more frequently. Thanks you so much for keeping up the same system architecture that will enable all community to profit still from a few upcoming FW levels. But it already sounds so good, how can you still improve ?
Quite surprised as I was convinced FAS would not come up with an upgraded version but more likely with a limited version like a floorboard or so. But maybe you have still another surprise under the hood ?

I do not agree Clark. Good business is offering the customer what he dreamed of, or what he always wanted to have but what he didn't imagine being "possible" or what he didn't know he wanted until it became possible. FAS is realising a dream with each new FW version I feel.

I was looking for a reason to buy a backup for the living room to use to practice at night ... this did not provide sufficient motivation :( Appreciate the effort nonetheless!

I solved that problem by moving from Ottawa to California.

Well, that would solve a couple of problems for me but introduce a way more!
The upgrade may still cost you $700+. Not sure its significant enough to warrant a sell and rebuy for an XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom