Andy Timmons?

bigbrown2056

Inspired
Does anyone have a good Andy Timmons patch, or could help me get close to a particular sound? http://youtu.be/BRY-n83J0F8 Like in this video. He's always had such a beautiful tone, he lives in my town and I've seen him a few times, but I'm not gonna bother the man with questions about tone lol. I just really like his slightly dirty/clean sound in this clip with they delays he's got going on. If you anyone knows how to duplicate the delays he's using please share the info or patch.

Does anyone have a good Andy Timmons patch, or could help me get close to a particular sound? http://youtu.be/BRY-n83J0F8 Like in this video. He's always had such a beautiful tone, he lives in my town and I've seen him a few times, but I'm not gonna bother the man with questions about tone lol. I just really like his slightly dirty/clean sound in this clip with they delays he's got going on. If you anyone knows how to duplicate the delays he's using please share the info or patch.

I had these but they're a little old. I thought someone had posted a newer one with a more recent firmware.

View attachment Timmons clean.syxView attachment Timmons lead.syxView attachment Andy Timmons Cruiser.syx

Lead tones : Bb preamp into gained out lone star. Roll off volume knob slightly till the tone gets clear and not muddy. (Treble bleed wiring helps

Clean: compressor and delay into lone star. Gain up the amp for slight breakup and then roll volume back. Again treble bleed helps.

Also, develop tasteful chops prover 40 years of playing experience :)

Lead tones : Bb preamp into gained out lone star. Roll off volume knob slightly till the tone gets clear and not muddy. (Treble bleed wiring helps

Clean: compressor and delay into lone star. Gain up the amp for slight breakup and then roll volume back. Again treble bleed helps.

Also, develop tasteful chops prover 40 years of playing experience :)

You must also be able to play solos while on your tippy toes :lol

Great video! Love AT as well.

I took notes, will dig into my Axe-Fx later. I'm thinking of using the new G3'd ODs more. The amps sound so good, I got away from the pedals.

To me, his tone is somewhat EJ-esque - the violin/thick thing is going on. I don't know how the Mesa Lonestar is classified - is that a Marshall-type circuit? My experience with my old Mark-class Mesas is they take pedals wonderfully and I always ended up running them clean with pedals for everything else. I'm going to try that idea.

But that's my thinking. Lonestar Clean for starters, might try other Mesa tones along the way (fond memories of my old Mark IIC+...). As for pedals - no idea. Xotic BB for sure, not sure what else is Marshall class, will give many a chance. The singing tone makes me wonder abou the ZenDrive. Modulating the delay tone is easy enough.

This should be fun. Great post. I'm not one who tries to cop sounds from other players but am always looking for more/better for my own gigging. I already have the Strat/DiMarzio thing going (three flavors).

Yeah, I tried the bb pre but it didn't sound the same to me. I'm just not good enough to dial it in lol. I did try the ac boost into the blues od and got closer but the blues od is still to sharp or harsh. I can't seem to get it rounded out enough while retaining clarity.

What do you know about it ? All I can find is that it's based off the Marshall G'vnor ....

The closest your going to get is one of the Plexi amps, I have never heard a good AT pre set trying to use the Lone star model and an OD

The elegantly gypsy preset is pretty close in my opinion and a good place to start. For resolution sounds use the three knob tube driver into the JCM 800 set clean with very low treble and presence with the petrucci ir, use a tape delay set to 500ms and a ratio of 75% for the second delay to create a 1/4 & .1/8 setting add modulation to taste. A super strat guitar is a big part of his sound so that will also help and don't forget to play hard he really attacks the instrument.

Forgot, he always uses v30 speakers in a Mesa 2x12 mic off center with a sm57 this adds some cut to the lonestar that is absent if you use classic 80 ir's (lonestar cab)

Good info, Dblue.

I did play around a bit, starting with clean Mesas (Lonestar and Mark IV Clean - called USA Clean, I think). Dialed in strong clean tones and added ODs. I found some good lead tones, but nothing that came close to AT. Ran out of time and ears were tired (I have played a ton all weekend) and did not try any Marshalls. I'll refer back to this thread and try again tomorrow.

The closest your going to get is one of the Plexi amps, I have never heard a good AT pre set trying to use the Lone star model and an OD

His high gain sound is pretty easy to emulate with the clean Lonestar and pedals. The clean and edge of breakup is a lot harder to emulate. As he mentions in the video he's using a lot of gain with the guitars volume rolled way back. On the one guitar I have with the treble bleed mod that actually works great, on the rest of my guitars it doesn't work at all. I've tried sticking a volume pedal in the front of my chain, but for whatever reason it just doesn't have the same effect.

Here's my take, based on that video.

http://members.ziggo.nl/alexandervanengelen/MesaLoneStarAT3x.syx

scene 1: clean (video: Lonestar clean, EP pedal, delay and compressor)
scene 2: bit of overdrive (video: Lonestar clean, EP pedal, delay, compressor, Boss Blues Driver)
scene 3: lead (video: Lonestar clean, delay, Angry Charlie)

Use a strat with single coils.

Yek, just curious as to why you send to Output 2 before the delays.

Oh, that's just because I based it on an exisitng preset and didn't move the FXL after editing.

Here's my take, based on that video.

http://members.ziggo.nl/alexandervanengelen/MesaLoneStarAT3x.syx

scene 1: clean (video: Lonestar clean, EP pedal, delay and compressor)
scene 2: bit of overdrive (video: Lonestar clean, EP pedal, delay, compressor, Boss Blues Driver)
scene 3: lead (video: Lonestar clean, delay, Angry Charlie)

Use a strat with single coils.

I built a carvin bolt with AT pickups and it's very different from single coils - they're quite a bit hotter than standard single coils. Dunno if the AT's are quite 'humbucker' but they're not the same as single coils. I suspect it might allow for being able to roll off and up the distortion to such a degree.

Back
Top Bottom