Andy Timmons' "Resolution" tone attempt (preset included)

Nolly

Inspired
Hi dudes,

The tones on Andy Timmon's CD Resolution are some of the best that have graced my ears, and I ever since getting the Axe-FX I've been meaning to give a proper shot at nailing it (I tried soon after getting the Axe and it got positive feedback but in retrospect it was a long way off). Anyway, without further ado, hear is me hacking a couple of sections from two tracks from Resolution. Go easy on me - it's been a long while since I last tried playing these tunes and these are just quick one-takers done without a click:

The guitar is my Blackmachine B2 with a pair of Bare Knuckle Mule pickups. I've got the tone knob rolled back a touch, and for The Prayer/The Answer I rolled back to volume knob to begin with, then gradually opened it up to about 9.

As promised, I've attached the patch. There's 0 post-processing on the clip at all. The tone isn't absolutely 100% spot on, but it's close enough for now :)

Attachments

• Nolly's Timmons tone#1.syx
    2 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'd love to hear any feedback from those that have checked out the patch. IMO it's very responsive to a guitar's controls, very difficult to stop playing once you load it up!

Very very very close! A really good job man. I'm A/Bing it with the original and I guess your version is more hairy sounding. More middle hair or something. I actually get this issue with many amps. Like amps that shouldn't sound brown or hairy at all. You shouldn't be able to get that from every amp.

Still that track can easily be EQ'd to sound 100% the same. I guess it's 98% there. :)

Thanks for the kind words dudes!
Clark - yeah, with post EQ you could get the tone pretty much dead-on, but for this clip I wanted to get it sounding as close as possible without any post-processing. Of course, if you find post-EQ settings that nail it, then you could just load up a para-eq block at the end of the chain and copy the settings from your DAW.
The other thing is the amount tone-knob roll off, you might find that a minor tweak there and then a corresponding tweak on the axe-fx would get you there too.
All in all, I'm pretty happy with how close it is considering it's a different player, different guitar and of course, a digital modeller :)

Last edited:
VERY VERY VERYYYY GOOD!!!!
Original is maybe a bit more "ballsy" but this is so close.
Great work man!
Must try this, thanks for sharing

Great job Nolly! It sounds amazing! I can't wait to try this patch at home!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Really sweet! It's very close but it does sound a little fuzzier and pointier than the Resolution tone. Comparing to the record right now, I'd say your tone is more middy whereas Andy's is bassier.

I was watching some vids with Timmons the other day and came to the conclusion that the thing that's "missing" from the equation when trying to nail his tone on the Axe, is the natural feedback which you can't get going direct. If the Axe had a way of simulating that, it would probably be easier to really nail Andy's tone.

Thanks for the comments guys! One thing I'd like to mention is to take care to equalise the volume with the original track if you're ABing: I noticed when I was dialling this in that it's particularly sensitive to volume, at one point I almost abandoned the whole thing before realising that the changes I had made had brought the level of the patch down relative to the original - suddenly my patch sounded fuzzy and too glassy in the top end, but then as soon as I brought the monitoring level up just a bit to match the original it sounded much better.

JohnIce, the harmonic feedback thing is only a byproduct of monitoring level - if you crank up your monitors you'll get that going straight away (and jolly good fun it is too :) )

Any chance of re-posting your patch? It seems to have been corrupted during the forum migration. Id love to try it out!
Thanks
-Ben
(Soundshell777@yahoo.com)

Back
Top Bottom