Andy Timmons "Resolution" lead tone

AirGuitar

I did a bit of searching, but couldn't really find the patch or answers I was looking for, so thought I'd go ahead and ask.

I'm looking to get in the same ballpark as the lead tone Timmons has on his "Resolution" album.

I used to be able to get VERY close with my BB Preamp, JVM and EH Memory Man pedal, but I'm trying to recreate this type of tone on the Axe Fx and am struggling a bit.

All the tones I dial in are either too tight sounding, or end up sounding too gainy (or not gainy enough with the gain turned down).

I'm looking to get that slightly "squishy" sound on the lower notes, but still have the definition needed for chords.

I know in the studio timmons used a tube driver into a old Marshall, and live he seems to get a similar tone using the BB Preamp and a Mesa Lonestar, but I just can't seem to get close to it with the Afx. I've tried the obvious tube driver into a plexi, but it doesn't seem to have the same character.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

he re-creates that sound now by using a tube driver into a clean chanel on a stiletto i believe. I had something working close going through my 4x12's then i've been setting up stuff to work with FRFR and it doesnt sound the same, so i have to revisit it.

there is a good video on mesa's site of him going over the whole rig.. but the key is the tubedriver and clean channel. delays he's using 2 memory mans at different times.

Thanks for that, I'll have a play around with it later.

The Memory Man has a big effect on the tone, gives it a more muffled flavour, and adds a bit of gain of it's own.

It's a simple setup that's prooving really difficult to recreate!

I believe he also uses a G Force now as well as the MM's. But he also Slaves the Stiletto and Lonestar into each other on his 2 rigs ... LS slaved into the ST and visa versa I believe. Both rigs are stereo ( 8 / 2x12 Recto cabs ). Either way this cat is so underrated.. in his playing and tone imho! YouTube has several videos as well.

User SouthernShred posted a Timmons preset a while back on AxeChange:
http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3029&p=30307&hilit=timmons#p30307

It's a mid gain preset using 2 drives, delay drive, and two amps. I was just trying to tweak it the other day to match Timmons' Resolution tone. I'm attaching the mid gain preset and what I have so far for the high gain but it definitely needs work. Note that I'm using custom IR's to match my 4x12 with V30's. Please post updates if you manage get any closer to the real thing. :D

Attachments

• Timmons.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 291
Hi,
I've just posted a clip of my attempt at Andy's tone on Resolution here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6944
I don't have a MIDI interface to upload my patch, but the signal chain is: a Full OD boost, running into the Brown and USA IIC+2 amp models (the latter being a fair bit quieter than the former), then into the 4x12 German and 4x12 Brit cabs.
There's a fair amount of tweaking in my patch, but those constituent parts should get you close :)

Nolly said:
Hi,
I've just posted a clip of my attempt at Andy's tone on Resolution here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6944
I don't have a MIDI interface to upload my patch, but the signal chain is: a Full OD boost, running into the Brown and USA IIC+2 amp models (the latter being a fair bit quieter than the former), then into the 4x12 German and 4x12 Brit cabs.
There's a fair amount of tweaking in my patch, but those constituent parts should get you close :)

I have a midi interface but it won't let me upload. could you give us your amp eq settings? sounded amazing by the way!

nhgtrman said:
Nolly said:
Hi,

I have a midi interface but it won't let me upload. could you give us your amp eq settings? sounded amazing by the way!

Thanks mate!

Sure. For the Brown, it's something like (read as o'clock):

Drive: 15:30
Bass: 14:00
Mid: 12:00
Treble: 11:00
Pres: 12:30
Deep: 11:00
Damp: 10:00
Sag: 14:00
Mstr: 15:00
Level: 14:30

Also, I've raised the "Warmth" parameter (mines on 5.16) and also messed with alot of the advanced settings. That kind of thing is going to require fine-tuning for your guitar/setup so there's not much point in me going into too much detail

For the USA IIC+2:

Drive: 11:30
Bass: 10:00
Mid: 13:30
Treb: 09:30 (bright on)
Pres: 10:00
Deep: 12:30
Damp: 08:00
Sag: 13:00
Mstr: full
Level: 10:00

Again, lots of the advanced parameters have been messed with, noticeably the "Warmth" and "High-Cut Freq".

If you want more details, let me know. Remember, there is post-eq on the track too :)

I tried to get close to timmons' sound on the prayer/the answer (also from the resolution cd) and i used the settings of nolly (thanks nolly!) for the lead and an own patch for the clean tone...

Timmons Clean Tone:
http://www.4shared.com/file/117242886/f77b3b86/AnswerPrayer_Clean.html

Timmons Clean Patch:
http://www.4shared.com/file/117242926/c56b93b/Timmons_Clean.html

Timmons Lead Tone:
http://www.4shared.com/file/117242929/9ce9a4aa/AnswerPrayer_Dirty.html

Timmons Lead Patch:
http://www.4shared.com/file/117242919/b7c4f769/Dirty_Timmons.html

Am I close enough?

Back
Top Bottom