Andre Flood on why some people think PRS guitars have no mojo

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Mojo: a musicians emotional response to a piece of equipment”
I don't disagree but you are going to have a reaction to "any" guitar ,good or bad so describing something as without Mojo is not helpful. We need to know exactly why one would or wouldn't like it. I think most important parts of guitar design from a function point of view and even tone is not subjective , that part is just down to if you like it or not . There are plenty of great musical instruments out there that are objectively good that I have no interest in owning but that's not me having no emotional response .

anything for a dollar Darrel category

Seriously made me LOL.

He's actually on the list of people that made me not give a crap about there even being objective differences between guitars (along with Jim Lill, Glenn Fricker, and a handful of others) and deciding only based on what could be called "mojo".

I literally do not care if my X is better, worse, or the same as your Y. I only care that I like my X.

Some things are purely objective and can be tested scientifically, even if the "target" or "goal" may still be a bit subjective: speakers, headphones/IEMs, converters, a lot of processing plugins or hardware, SRC, lossy data compression, acoustics....and other things aren't objectively better/worse and pretty much can't be tested scientifically, so there's no reason to bother even pretending to try.

ETA: frankly, the best thing I ever bought for keeping the GAS for studio processing stuff in check was Plugin Doctor. It lets me learn in ~5 minutes what some super-hyped plugin (or piece of hardware) is doing. And just about every time, it turns out that the hype is 100% from aesthetic design, not sound. It's saved me a lot of money over the years.

How did you "there's no such thing as mojo" folks decide who to marry?

I bet it's NOT that you had a set of objective, measurable criteria in mind, and the right answers "won your heart"?

Talk about bs.

I bet it's NOT that you had a set of objective, measurable criteria in mind, and the right answers "won your heart"?

Talk about bs.
Guitar is quantifiable and I'm not saying you don't have an emotional reaction. It's the catch all BS term" Mojo" that I hate because it means nothing.

How is the upper fret access on a PRS which you don't own? Have you ever played one vs a guitar with 24 frets and minimal neck heal? Please do tell.

I have a 1990 Custom (no heel) and a 2020 Custom 24-08 (with heel). Both guitars have similar neck carves (Wide/Thin on the '90, Pattern Thin on the '20). Upper fret access is the same on both guitars, regardless of what Ed Roman tried to convince people when he was selling used older guitars without the heel. Well, I shouldn't say "tried," because he obviously convinced at least one person...

Talk about bs.
Actually, we could precisely measure your endocrine and central nervous systems to explain your reactions and choices of all of your prospective partners, friends, etc.

Reactions: rog
I have a 1990 Custom (no heel) and a 2020 Custom 24-08 (with heel). Both guitars have similar neck carves (Wide/Thin on the '90, Pattern Thin on the '20). Upper fret access is the same on both guitars, regardless of what Ed Roman tried to convince people when he was selling used older guitars without the heel. Well, I shouldn't say "tried," because he obviously convinced at least one person...
Ive owned quite a few PRS's both Custom 22's and 24's as well as my 594. ive never had an issue with upper fret access. TBH it's honestly no worse on a PRS than it is on say a Strat, I actually feel the PRS is better.

Even though he defines it in the video as "a certain something special" I agree with you 100%.
Austin Powers GIF by Pixel Bandits

For me this is the only exact scientific definition of mojo :cool:

Guitar is quantifiable and I'm not saying you don't have an emotional reaction. It's the catch all BS term" Mojo" that I hate because it means nothing.

I think we probably agree more than we disagree on most of the things that matter to this discussion, but I like the term because it's a BS catch all that means nothing.

I'm not going to "pick" a guitar that can't stay in tune or that I can't play or whatever...the objective criteria are all preconditions for considering it.

For me, whatever BS, meaningless, catch-all term you want to use is the only thing that really matters in the end.

Actually, we could precisely measure your endocrine and central nervous systems to explain your reactions and choices of all of your prospective partners, friends, etc.
That wouldn't explain my reactions and choices at all. It would just measure my physiological responses to various stimuli. My heart rate went up, but how does that indicate why again?

That wouldn't explain my reactions and choices at all. It would just measure my physiological responses to various stimuli. My heart rate went up, but how does that indicate why again
you are not choosing your reactions. we can show you boobs and you'll react. we can show you an ugly face and you'll react. we can make specific choices as to which psychotropics to give you to elicit the same and we can make you fall in love with anyone we choose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom