And now....Van Halen on Ellen

EJ James (Street)

Experienced
Better than the Kimmel performance.

Dave's a goof. You can tell he's like "man...I'm just fuggin happy to be here brah!". LOL I enjoyed his shenanigans and goofball persona in this one. He knows better than to take himself too seriously these days. Bravo Dave. Bravo. =)

That's better than the Kimmel show but he didn't slam the s*** out of his nose before this one. IMHO, that was just a horrible situation and kudos to DLR for sticking that through and getting the show done.

Dave is a character - he was like your cool older cousin back in the day; now he's like your crazy old uncle. He's like a crazed circus barker let loose. He no longer has that confident "dave" swagger; but as pointed out above, that probably wouldn't come off so well. I wish he'd sit back into the groove and work his timing and phrasing back out. He just seems like he's yelling the lyrics late constantly and it bothers me.

It's all just fine though. Eddie looks great and healthy - which is fantastic.

I'm a lifelong fan, but have honestly zero urge to see them live again. That might sound like a contradiction but... meh. I saw them in their prime and it was a SHOW. Not sure I could sit there with the Sideshow-Bob version of Dave and get into it. Saw Van Hagar twice and that was fun too. I'm more a DLR era fan but it's all cool with me.

If Dave dug deeper and brought it from the groove I'd be all over it again - age be damned. Just watching that and Kimmel and hearing some of the previews of the live album... he's just riffing off the top or at least it feels that way to me.

Sorry to be a downer but their stuff matters to me. Just being honest.

Van Halen were hugely influential, and for that I'll forgive them anything. Like Scott I saw them at their prime and I'm happy to leave it there. For me Eddie was as influential as Hendrix, Clapton, Gilmour, etc in the modern era.

Like the previous 2 distinguished posters I saw them at their heights (both DLR and Sammy) and can't take the non-attention to detail of the vocals. EVH redefined guitar for me and millions of others, but I'm happy to leave it as part of history.

I'd like to

a) party with Dave
b) jam with Eddie
c) watch/listen in awe while Alex wreaks havoc on those skins
d) see where Wolfgang came from (Valerie...well...um...hello there sweets!) =)

I know they're not what they use to be, but that's OK by me. They were the most influential band during my early days (well, them and Stevie), and I don't care what anyone says, they can do no wrong in my book. I hope they keep rockin, and kickin the shit out of it till they're in the grave, and *then* some.

Ace Frehley is why I picked up the guitar. Eddie is why I kept playing.

Yeah this better than Kimble, he's in time!!!!!!! Man they really need to get Mike back in the band, those backup vocals are not nearly as good as they use to be live!!!

Ok... That almost redeems the Kimmel debacle!

However, I did find out odd that they played Jump with a ghost keyboardist :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its all about Eddie to me and he looks great. You could probably measure how long it's been since he looked this good in decades to be honest.

Dave was never the greatest vocalist, but I didn't care because he was right for the band and for the songs. I know that a lot of people are still pissed about the Wolfie vs. Michael thing....it is what it is and to be honest if I was in their position and could get another family member in there I'd do it too. It's not like Michael was left homeless just as they made it big and I'm sure that he is doing fine with Sammy.

They aren't 20 years old and the songs are old as molasses. I don't care because I still love hearing those songs even to this day.

It's not a ghost keyboardist, it's a backing track. They used it on the last tour as well.

I don't like how much jamming is going on. Play the damn song!

Also, is that wolfie? Wolfie got fat!

You guys realize they are playing it a half step HIGHER then they originally did.

Check it out!

Always been a huge fan ever since I heard VH1 being played by one of the guys in my neighborhood....picked up guitar from ther....still love VH.
Have seen them probably at least 9 times or so.

But, DLR really needs to start performing the songs....with the band....on time.....in the right key....not improvised. To me it is sad and to have seen them in their prime and now are two different worlds....but, to see DLR basically "wing it" all night is just ridiculous. I think he can certainly hit the notes....I just think he doesn't bother.

I luv diamond Dave but he's just gotten more obnoxious over the years to the point where its embarrassing to even watch. The giant tooth filled goofy grin doesn't help. I like what Wolfy brings to the band. His bass sound on this was awesome. He's a big boy who can handle the job very well. Interested to hear his solo stuff.

If that was a cover band I'd say, "ehh, the singer is holding them back".

Back
Top Bottom