Analog synth + AF3 anyone?

Baldadi

Inspired
I’m getting my first analog polysynth this week (Sequential Prophet Rev2 16 voices). Also looking at outboard reverbs and delay because I like turning knobs ;-) (think Strymon Nightsky, Ventris dual reverb, source Audio Collider, etc…

HOWEVER: I want to give my Ax3 also a serious chance to be my polysynth playbox!

Any experiences/presets/tips/routing-skills regarding analog synth users welcome!

Thx in advance!

I love using the AX3 with my synths/euro rack setup. You will not be disappointed using the AX3 for synths. I love using the several drive blocks in parallel, the rigmod, flat IR with recording counsel modeling, Tape distortion. filter for DJ style filtering, and of course the delays and reverbs. Running a sequence in the pitch block with a drone from the synth is also very fun.

I use mine with my synths and love it. Having good quality distortion, delays and reverbs really changes the game on a monosynth especially.

I also have a whole dedicated full-stereo pedalboard for my synths because like you, I love turning knobs live... but for recording, being able to route them into the AF3 has been amazing.

My setup is a bit complex, but I really rely on the Radial KeyLargo mixer pedal.. it lets me route 3 synths and they can share an effects loop, but it also outputs like a DI to XLR, which is how I get my synths into the AF3. This lets me have my standalone pedals, but also I can bypass them and go direct into the AF3 too (or use both!).

I use mine with my synths and love it. Having good quality distortion, delays and reverbs really changes the game on a monosynth especially.

I also have a whole dedicated full-stereo pedalboard for my synths because like you, I love turning knobs live... but for recording, being able to route them into the AF3 has been amazing.

My setup is a bit complex, but I really rely on the Radial KeyLargo mixer pedal.. it lets me route 3 synths and they can share an effects loop, but it also outputs like a DI to XLR, which is how I get my synths into the AF3. This lets me have my standalone pedals, but also I can bypass them and go direct into the AF3 too (or use both!).
Interesting! So if I put some pedals between synth and AF3 you would recommend a DI (which one, Radial stereo or Neve or…?) and without pedals go direct into AF3 line input?

I have an RME Fireface 802 as main interface (AF3 plugs in that) so I will have to rethink routing I guess.

Thx!

Oh, always open for some (kitchen sink) presets for delay / reverb combo’s 😜… drive pedals etc are quite specific for certain use cases I would guess…

Interesting! So if I put some pedals between synth and AF3 you would recommend a DI (which one, Radial stereo or Neve or…?) and without pedals go direct into AF3 line input?

I have an RME Fireface 802 as main interface (AF3 plugs in that) so I will have to rethink routing I guess.

Thx!

Oh not necessarily, you can also rig up pedals into the AF3 directly as well. I had a physical board+pedals set up before I had my AF3, but the mixer makes it super easy to add new synths to the mix without running more stuff into the AF3 itself so I kept that arrangement. I can always change the synths at the mixer level and experiment around, and the mixer is always going to route to the AF3 as a "single" input

I have a Sequential Take 5 permanently hooked up to mine, I can just hit the power button on the synth, unmute input block 2 and off I go.
Sounds fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom