An Interesting Interview With Phil Collen

I have nothing against Phil but i can't stand Vivian Campbell being his backup. Vivian should be the lead player and they should record an album in the vein of High 'n' Dry. Fuck all the overproduced crap.

I have nothing against Phil but i can't stand Vivian Campbell being his backup. Vivian should be the lead player and they should record an album in the vein of High 'n' Dry. Fuck all the overproduced crap.

While I don't entirely agree, Vivian should be allowed to spread his wings and put his signature on the new stuff. They just never were the same after Steve Clark passed away.

On another topic...those titanium saddles for his Floyd Rose run $800!

Well by the look of his rack I don’t expect to see an AF in there any time soon, if he has something he likes he does not appear to look elsewhere. Some of that gear is older than some of the forum members. And that’s cool nothing wrong with that he is not a tech guy (or claims to be) in that video.

I would also like to see an album just raw like the first two albums. Seen them live back then and they always sound great, good live band. They don’t need all of the effects.

Cool interview... I was a diehard Leppard fan at least for the first three albums. High & Dry was one of my all time favorite records Raw and in your face, got into a lot of trouble with alcohol, drugs and women listing to that music and I'm still alive to tell the stories :lol . Maybe it's me but I personally I like the Steve Clark and Pete Wilis team.

The tone on High N' Dry is still one of my all-time favorites, and still eludes me. It's a raw tone, but there's still something about it that I can't quite nail down. When I get my Axe-II, it will be one of the first tones I try to re-create.

The tone on High N' Dry is still one of my all-time favorites, and still eludes me. It's a raw tone, but there's still something about it that I can't quite nail down. When I get my Axe-II, it will be one of the first tones I try to re-create.

+1.
Every song on that record had a hook, great riffs, and great tone.

Love High N Dry - great songs with GREAT RIFFS. One of my all time favorite albums in any genre. I used to put that record on and play along to the whole thing. Love the vids from that album. Clark and Willis were a great guitar team.

Anyone know what amps they used on Hugh N Dry. I know Steve Clark played LPs and Wllis played Hamer Explorers, but I have no idea on the amps. I don't think the promo vids give any shots of the amps.

In other news, lost my virginity listening to Lady Strange and No No No. Dont know any combo of songs which would be more appropriate for such an occasion.

Last edited:
Anyone know what amps they used on Hugh N Dry. I know Steve Clark played LPs and Wllis played Hamer Explorers, but I have no idea on the amps. I don't think the promo vids give any shots of the amps.

I believe they used Marshall JMP's some say Randall amps but I think early DL was all Marshall. All the effects were post cab, thing about it is you need to know what Mutt did in the studio with Mic's and EQ if any to get to what you hear on the recording especially High & Dry his ears were all over that recording.

On a lighter note, lost my virginity listening to Lady Strange and No No No. Dont know any combo of songs which would be more appropriate for such an occasion.

Classic... As for me, many girls lost their virginity to that album :lol .

Last edited:

Vivian is a smart man. I'm sure he's making a great living + still in the public eye and playing to huge crowds.

Back
Top Bottom