An evening with Redwirez

I've got a JP6 with the crunch lab + liquifire and I'm not pleased with the crunch lab. It's very bright sounding no matter which way I turn it. I've got one of those custom petrucci pickups from the earlier JPs in one of my guitars and it sounds way better that the crunch lab. One bad thing about the crunch lab is that it doesn't have dynamics. It sounds like an EMG pickup. I loved the D-Sonic that I had before the crunch lab. I sure hope you like that pickup.

Unfortunately its hard to know for sure how a pickup will work in a guitar till you try it. I currently have a schecter with some duncan design active seven string pickups as well and it sounds like it might be similiar to that from the way you describe it. Id love to find a pickup that is somewhere between the duncan design and the dimarzio blaze, but thats only cause i havent had to much experiance with other pickups yet. Did you try the pickup in both positions, neck and bridge? I also am wondering how the pickup with will sound floating from the pick guard. My ibenez is set up like that or should i just put some holes in and screw it into the body of the guitar.

Sorry i wasnt more clear. I meant that you can turn the pickup arround in the bridge position so that the bar is towards the neck or towards the bridge for a different sound. There is a 30 day warrenty for replacement as well so i can send it to them for a different pickup if i dont like it too.

Clark Kent said:
sgplayer76 said:
This may be a bonehead question but how do you blend multiple mic positions together? I have a couple of Redwirez IRs, but have only used Axe Edit to load them (one at a time) into my Axe. I am pretty new to all of this so I would really appreciate your help!

Do you have a DAW? Like Cubase, Pro Tools or Reaper? Just use mono tracks an load those IRs in the exact same place in the timeline and lower the volume so that they don't peak and do a WAV mono export. I'm sure there's an easier way to do this but this is how I do it. You should use an IR plugin to test the IRs first. You can find free programs in the Redwirez webpage.
No, I do not have a DAW. I will research which will work best for my needs and post a new topic if I still need help creating IRs. Thanks for getting back to me!

sgplayer76 said:
No, I do not have a DAW. I will research which will work best for my needs

Once you have purchased some Redwirez, you don't need a DAW or anything else to experiment with mixing IR's. The Redwire site has a really nifty online tool that let's you type (or paste) in mixes and it will create the new mix IR for you from any IR's you've bought. It's really pretty slick.

TT

torchlord said:
Sorry i wasnt more clear. I meant that you can turn the pickup arround in the bridge position so that the bar is towards the neck or towards the bridge for a different sound. There is a 30 day warrenty for replacement as well so i can send it to them for a different pickup if i dont like it too.

Yeah sure I tried it both ways. It sounds pretty much the same. I liked the D-Sonic with the bar towards the bridge but this one is too bright for that.

I actually tried that thing with a high lowcut to audition some IRs. Instead of balancing highs and lows, I balance highs and mids and deal with the lows later. Should be some cool results.

Clark Kent said:
So what did we learn. Good IRs:
MesaRectifierV30s-U87-CapEdge-0in
MesaRectifierV30s-L47-CapEdge-0in
MesaRectifierV30s-C414-CapEdge-0in
If I want to mix these on the Redwirez site, what percentage of each do you recommend?

Stringtheorist said:
Clark Kent said:
So what did we learn. Good IRs:
MesaRectifierV30s-U87-CapEdge-0in
MesaRectifierV30s-L47-CapEdge-0in
MesaRectifierV30s-C414-CapEdge-0in
If I want to mix these on the Redwirez site, what percentage of each do you recommend?

All I can say is experiment. I had them 33%, 33% and 33%. But like I said the end result was just about the same tone as the SM57 cone position and using only one IR is a safe way to go. The L47 sounds the best so use that as the main tone if you blend these.

Back
Top Bottom