An AXE8 and my AXE III combined question

rsvette12

Power User
Hi Guys

I want to put an AX8 in front of my AXEIII - reason - I want to use the the quick access knobs to change EQ - drive - presence etc. that it has

What should the the grid look like for the AX8 on the input and output also I would assume I can run the two different AXE-Edits at same time ?

I would assume the AX8 would have input 1 to Output 1 on the grid as I am using physical cables from the 3 input and output on back of AXE III

I use input and output 3 on AXE III grid
and works fine with a tonex in front of AXE and even better with a nux Trident bit tricky to tweak with Trident but with either one of these units in front of my Axe sounds amazing

I tried this just for EQ and some effects and found out using headphones with a unit in front of AXE was awesome

Want to try AX8 and keep it in the family

Thanks much

Last edited:
Instead, I would check out the Performance Controls on the Axe-Fx. You'll get 20 knobs in total. You can dedicate the Global page to reproduce the AX8 knobs and it will sound much better. Then you can figure out what to do with the AX8.
Thank you for your input but my Rack placement is not ideal and the AX8 would fit the bill - also the sound is way better with another unit in front of the AXE III - its a huge sound that I wont give up - the playability and feel and ease doing leads is awesome

I use axe fx 2 sometimes as extension for my 3 via s/pdif. For axe2 I'm setting clock to s/pdif and main input to digital s/pdif. For axe3 I'm setting in2 to digital, s/pdif out to copy out2, so I can use the loop 2 to send and return signal to/from axe2.

So I think it's possible to connect ax8 s/pdif out to axe3 s/pdif input and set clock for axe3 to s/pdif because ax8 doesn't have the s/pdif input and can't set clock to external. Pretty straightforward setup but it should be useful.

Thanks for the help - I would like to use 1/4" cables like I am now - working fine with other units as stated so AX8 shouldnt be any different

And my main question is what does the AX8 grid look like

Thanks much

So you want to use the Amp modeling of the AX8 instead of the Amp models in the Axe Fx III?

There really should be no sound benefit of another device before the Axe Fx other than volume increase, unless you just like the sound of the other device better?

The grid on the Axe Fx II and I believe AX8 (I never had one) does not have Input and Output blocks. The main input is on the far left of the grid and the main output is on the far right.

There is an FXLoop block for the second input/output.

Not the same as current generation hardware...

So you want to use the Amp modeling of the AX8 instead of the Amp models in the Axe Fx III?
Hi Buddy

Thanks for reply - I just want to use the the dials on the AXE8 to control drive - eq - presence - depth drive etc.

I could add maybe bit of reverb and delay on AX8 as I do now with tonex - shouldn't be any different that I'm aware of ?

I am doing it with tonex now the AX8 must do the same thing - it better I just bought one

I would use 1/4" cable from input 3 on AXE III into AX8 input and then out of AX8 with 1/4" cable to output 3 in back of AXEIII

Doing it now with Tonex - if I can open two different AXE-Edits at the same time should be good

Hi Buddy

Thanks for reply - I just want to use the the dials on the AXE8 to control drive - eq - presence - depth drive etc.

I could add maybe bit of reverb and delay on AX8 as I do now with tonex - shouldn't be any different that I'm aware of ?

I am doing it with tonex now the AX8 must do the same thing - it better I just bought one
Are you wanting to control the Axe Fx with the knobs? I think those are hard wired to the Amp block in the AX8... It's a floor modeler, not really a midi controller.

I would use 1/4" cable from input 3 on AXE III into AX8 input and then out of AX8 with 1/4" cable to output 3 in back of AXEIII

Doing it now with Tonex - if I can open two different AXE-Edits at the same time should be good
You would run Output to Input and Input to Output...

The editor for AX8 is AX8-Edit, not Axe-Edit...

You would run Output to Input and Input to Output...

The editor for AX8 is AX8-Edit, not Axe-Edit...
Yes you are correct on input / output at work doing this on the fly

Yes two separate desktop editors - there should be no reason why using the physical knobs on the AX8 cant be used to effect my final sound coming out of the AXE III in the chain

I am doing it now with a tonex unless I'm missing something ? I want a higher quality unit in front on my Axe III than a tonex

Its a huge difference having a unit in front of my Axe III - didnt expect it just looked for some quick eq on the fly settings

But dang what a difference and I can't duplicate what I'm hearing without the Tonex in front of the Axe for some reason - its awesome

Dont knock it until you try it - its great for headphones - live loud music not an option at the moment

All Youtube audio quality wise is all over the place and I need to adjust EQ etc., to compensate for good quality and everything in between on the fly - this works well for me

I put the output 3 and input 3 after the amp and cab on AXE III grid then the delay reverb etc.

What I think is happening is the delay and reverb is doubling up from the tonex which I can change higher or lower - gain - presence etc. which is why it sounds so huge - the AX8 should do the same I would assume

I can throw mild delay and reverb on AX8 grid - then use all the knobs at will - I cant be going to axe Edit all the time

I dont think many have tried this hence not really knowing this scenario, but it is way better

Yes you are correct on input / output at work doing this on the fly

Yes two separate desktop editors - there should be no reason why using the physical knobs on the AX8 cant be used to effect my final sound coming out of the AXE III in the chain

I am doing it now with a tonex unless I'm missing something ? I want a higher quality unit in front on my Axe III than a tonex

Its a huge difference having a unit in front of my Axe III - didnt expect it just looked for some quick eq on the fly settings

But dang what a difference and I can't duplicate what I'm hearing without the Tonex in front of the Axe for some reason - its awesome

Dont knock it until you try it - its great for headphones - live loud music not an option at the moment

All Youtube audio quality wise is all over the place and I need to adjust EQ etc., to compensate for good quality and everything in between on the fly - this works well for me
I'm still not clear on what you're trying to do.

The EQ knobs on the front of the AX8 control the settings in the Amp block of the AX8 only. At least, as far as I'm aware.

Are you wanting to use the AX8 Amp block?

I know nothing about Tonex so I can't comment on that.

I'm not sure whats happening with Tonex all I know is the EQ - reverb - gain - etc. settings are working with the AXE III patch I have on grid

Basically lighten up on all of the effects from the Tonex so its not doing much to hinder the AXE III preset but the most important part is the EQ on the fly changes I dont want to use the front of AXE III for that its not convenient while I'm playing to backing tracks on YT which I mentioned are all over the place EQ wise

I use a bit of the effects from Tonex to blend a bit with my AXE III Preset which is why it sounds so big - these effects are after amp and cab blocks so you can blend how much of each unit is doing obviously the AXE III is doing most of the work

Theres just some extra secret sauce going on when I tried a Tonex in front of the AXE - its day and night

So AX8 will prob be great also - thats basically all I wanted to know if anyone has tried it - if not you should

Then just set ax8 as you would a pedalboard and go? Since thats how you plan to use it.

Hi Buddy not sure what you mean - what I am trying to say not well I guess - is 2 units are way better together - its like AM vs FM

I've tried the pan cabs dual amps etc.. cant get this huge sound and ease of playing leads without 2 units running together

Its that noticeable or why would I bother, thanks guys no biggie

Try it if you can you will see its great

Ok, this will be my last post because we're going in circles.

You said repeatedly that you want to use the 8 EQ knobs on the front of the AX8.

What I'm trying to tell you is that those have no effect unless you're using the Amp block on the AX8, because they are connected directly to the Amp block.

You're free to do anything you want, but I would definitely choose the Axe Fx III amp modeling over the previous generation.

Blending effects from another device is fine - many people do it with Strymon or other external units, but aside from having different effects, there's nothing inherent that will make your sound "huge".

Most likely you're just increasing volume or adding effects in parallel, both of which can be done in the Axe Fx itself.

Blending effects from another device is fine - many people do it with Strymon or other external units, but aside from having different effects, there's nothing inherent that will make your sound "huge".

Most likely you're just increasing volume or adding effects in parallel, both of which can be done in the Axe Fx itself.

Hi Buddy

Yes this is a way of putting it - better than I - this is what I was trying to say

Nothing could replace my AXE III - running an external unit with my AXE is great a bit of a pia but was worth it - I just happened to try it with a cheap EQ pedal and it worked fine so I tried a Tonex and now a NUX Trident which is better but trash if it was your only modeler

After using Tonex and now Trident instead I'm hooked it sounds amazing when you get them working nicely together

Back
Top Bottom