An appeal to Kevin / OH and or IR experts??

Nagi Mysore

Inspired
Kevin,

First Happy new year.

This is a suggestion intended to help non pro Guitarists and Non pro Axe FXII users and Non band guys ...basically attention and time disadvantaged hobby guitarists..

I am a intermediate hobby guitarist. I have two of these packs and barely know how to use them properly. I understand that you can drop the IRs into user slot on the AXE FXII etc...I mean I barely know how to select the correct IR or Mix or whatever...I am sure there are many users like me who would consider buying the new products if they got some help in using them...More like Guidance..

I spent 1.5 years reading almost every forum post before becoming reasonably familiar with AXE FXII...(and finally started using default presets with bass treble and mid / presence tweaks only LOL LOL) now I am unsure if I want to invest time in understanding speakers, speaker IRS, speaker selection, Mic usage blah blah.... So here is a thought please see if it helps:

Option 1 - On Yek's wiki for the AXE FXII...there is a recommended Cab for each Amp...You could just add the ownhammer options...user can try different mixes within your recommendation:
For e.g: Fender Deluxe cab : From Yek's wiki.
Stock cabinet suggestions:
3/5/6
8/12/105/106/119 (EVM)
21/22/121/122 (Twin)
80/81 (Deluxe)

If you can put the Ownhammer cab suggestion from which bundle, it will be fantastic.

Option II:
On Yeks list of cabs: CAB (block): list - Axe-Fx II Wiki

You could just list the OH equivalent.

I think enhancing documentation / Guidance would enhance usability and customer appreciation...maybe that would help you generate sales

Of course this is my 2c...worth only that!!

Happy new year and cheers.

PS: Unsure if this post belongs to this Forum section or else where...my apologies if it shd be elsewhere

It would be helpful to have a starting point; recommendations based on real world application (the speakers recommended/used by manufacturers, or ones most commonly used).

But ultimately, it's up to our ears, and the sky's the limit.

Most amps in the forum (http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=AMP_(block):_list) lists things like:

AC-20 DLX - Based on: Morgan AC20 Deluxe. EL84 tubes. Speaker: Alnico Blue, G12H, Greenback

So based on that, I’d say that any Ownhammer IR’s that has Alnico Silver (should be close enough), G12H or G12M (Greenback) speakers should match. Scott Peterson posted previously that the best starting point is the T2 Median mixes, or I guess now the T2 SP (Scott Peterson) mixes. So then it’s basically down to try the 4x12 Marshall, 2x12 Bogner or 1x12 Deluxe cab for those speaker types.

Since there’s no numbers with the Ownhammer mixes, it really doesn’t become more helpful than Yek’s Speaker recommendations and then just match them to the Ownhammer mixes.

Don't get caught up with always using the suggested cab for each amp. The Axe Fx lets you mix and match amps/cabs that you wouldn't normally get to do with real amps/cabs. I've been suprised at some of the combinations that I've come up with. For example, I love the Celestion Blackback speaker IRs in Ownhammer's 4x12 Vintage pack. I use it with the Morgan AC20, Carr Rambler, AC15, and other amps that are typically used with open back 1x12 cabinets. Experiment and find a sound you like. Don't feel like you have to use a certain cabinet with a certain amp.

First of all, the Ownhammer IRs are just outstanding. I purchased the Marshall vintage and modern ones the other day and am having a blast. So much clarity and punch. Just my two cents, but so far the "studio" selection works best with my setup which is a 1x12 Xitone wedge. Definitely worth every penny. Just so many options.

Back
Top Bottom