Amps you have owned and loved, but don't expect to be ever modeled

I wouldn’t expect anything to be added to the Axe II, since Cliff has already basically said the memory is full on the II. The most we II users can hope for is maybe some of the ARES updates of the III imported.

As far as amps I’ve owned from years ago... the 1973 200w Marshall Major I once owned. It was crazy powerful, heavy, tons of headroom, and AC/DC tone for days. I blew a 4x12 cabinet with the beast.
I didn’t know till well after I sold it that there was only 250 of them made. Damn

Yeah, I figured the memory is full. That's why I suggest a system that allows you to pick and choose which models you can load into the unit, and which ones you can leave out. I'm sure that more models have been developed than will fit into a single unit.

I wouldn’t expect anything to be added to the Axe II, since Cliff has already basically said the memory is full on the II. The most we II users can hope for is maybe some of the ARES updates of the III imported.

As far as amps I’ve owned from years ago... the 1973 200w Marshall Major I once owned. It was crazy powerful, heavy, tons of headroom, and AC/DC tone for days. I blew a 4x12 cabinet with the beast.
I didn’t know till well after I sold it that there was only 250 of them made. Damn
Back when I got my Model T, I bought a Carvin 4X12 cab. But with 150 RMS from a quad of KT88's it died the first time I cranked the amp.

I've never owned one, but I really wish there was a Mesa Road King model more than anything. I tried taking 2 Recto 2 amp models, 1 6L6 and 1 EL34 and running them in parallel to kinda combine into one tone but it didn't seem to sound much different. Is there any way to run an amp model with 2 different sets of power tubes like the Road King does?

Back when I got my Model T, I bought a Carvin 4X12 cab. But with 150 RMS from a quad of KT88's it died the first time I cranked the amp.

That's because that was a lot more than 150 watts. For reference, Marshall specifies that a "100 watt" early 70s model 1959 Super Lead amp puts out about 170 watts RMS at 10 percent distortion. At full tilt, that same amp can put 220 watts of electrical energy into the speaker cabinet.

Following that math, your "150 watt" amp can probably deliver 330 watts when decked. This is why it's good practice to use speakers that have twice the power rating of the nominal power output rating of the amplifier. When distortion occurs, power increases but it's not RMS power, because RMS only accurately measures clean sine waves, not clipped and distorted signals.

My "180 watt" Fender Super Twin Reverb was described by Fender as being able to deliver 395 watts of peak music power. That's likely an accurate estimation.

That's because that was a lot more than 150 watts. For reference, Marshall specifies that a "100 watt" early 70s model 1959 Super Lead amp puts out about 170 watts RMS at 10 percent distortion. At full tilt, that same amp can put 220 watts of electrical energy into the speaker cabinet.

Following that math, your "150 watt" amp can probably deliver 330 watts when decked. This is why it's good practice to use speakers that have twice the power rating of the nominal power output rating of the amplifier. When distortion occurs, power increases but it's not RMS power, because RMS only accurately measures clean sine waves, not clipped and distorted signals.

My "180 watt" Fender Super Twin Reverb was described by Fender as being able to deliver 395 watts of peak music power. That's likely an accurate estimation.
I wish I had that info back in 1974

It was probably printed in the back of the manual that came with the amp. But who reads that?
I bought the floor model and never had a manual, but it wouldn't have mattered because even if I read it I probably would have done the same thing being a stupid teenager. Bought it from the long gone Stringers Music in Baltimore. They had a couple of custom made round white fur covered 4X12 cabs in their display window. ZZ Top would have bought them in an instant.

Wish I never sold my 1968 "Blackline" Fender Super Reverb. It was a great sounding amp but I just had to have a Marshall stack at the time...

Mesa Mark III, currently own a green stripe which might be pretty similar to a Mark IV. I'd love to see maybe the green, blue, and red stripes simulated. Start with a red model, add a bright cap for the blue, switch to pentode from triode for the green. I love the AX3 but this is one amp that even if it was modeled 100% I would never part with it.

Randall Century 200. I've only had it a short time but it's really a great sounding amp. Never thought I'd like a SS this much. I've found Dimebag presets that sound amazing, but simply trying to match the distortion character I haven't found a suitable amp in the AX3 yet.

Mesa Studio 22+. I sold it a long time ago and later bought a MkV, but there was a certain sound to the clean channel pushed with an overdrive pedal that I never recaptured.

Another should have never let get away. Port City Pearl. Super clean and warm all tube amp designed for pedals(but sounded great on its own). I bet I could have gotten a great sound putting my Fractal in front of it, not to mention in the effects loop.

Back
Top Bottom