Amps less dynamic in FW11.0?

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
While I've been making the amp bank for FW 11.0 it fely like the amps I used the most were less dynamic than before.
For example the Friedman HBE.
I liked how the amp cleaned up nice when turning down the volume on the guitar.
I keep the Drive low, around 2.00.
But now it's very hard to get it to clean up.
Same for the Marshall JVM410.

I haven't stopped playing the 50w jumped plexi long enough to notice any other amps. It sounds awesome!

I'll check the HBE later tonight because it's always one of my favorites......

Twin and tweeds sound fantastic -- have not ventured off the reservation. Still working on my patches after a clean install. Looking forward to some fun amp adventures when I get done..

I checked the compression setting.
Default on X; 0 on Y
No difference.
But perhaps I must rephrase it a bit.
What I had before when turning down the volume on the guitar, was a more sparkling, trebly sound.
A bit like when you have the wrong capacitor in a treble bleed circuit and to much highs get through.
Come to think of it, since I had the Axe-Fx II, I got rid of all my treble bleed mods.
Now it seems as the tone stays the same, but doesn't get as clean as it used to.
That might just be an impression because of the less highs.
The overall tone has improved drastically. More body, less harsh and sits a lot better in the mix.
So perhaps it's just the way it's supposed to sound and I should try with a treble bleed mod again ;)

I find the FET drive to be really good for adding that sparkle. My favourite real amp is my Two Rock 10th Anniversary which has a FET drive built in. The pedal in the Axe gives a very similar effect to the tone. Worth a try if you haven't already as it's one of the best drive pedals in the Axe IMO, yet rarely gets a mention.

Hi MisterE
After having played with my Vox presets, I have found the following to work probably because its the way real amps work.
Reinitialize your amp block and then adjust the following:
Input Trim: 0.2 (very low as this simulates what you do with your guitar volume)
Adjust your output level to what your ears tell you.

I tried the above after turning down the "Input drive" but it takes away the feel of an amp. I then just inserted a Vol/Pan block dropping the input to the amp block and boosting it to compensate on the output. It was then I tried the "Trim". What a fantastic sound - Great work Cliff and the FAS team!

I'm sure your amp block will clean up and yet still retain the dynamics. Play with the input trim so that it growls when you want it to. Let your fingers make music!!

Last edited:
The two Friedmans are long-time go-to amps for me. In FW11, I think they got even better in every respect to the point I hate to stop playing. I feel like I can make them do absolutely anything tone-wise. Could be infatuation...but after 40 years, I'm not sure I'm capable. FWIW, I haven't yet made any edits to my 11b patches (and don't think from 10.x either) - and I'm not doing cleans at all - heavy crunch and dearly beloved solo tones.

Back
Top Bottom