Amp under $1000 + my FM3

I’m playing through 8” Sterling monitors right now (Guitar Center special) and they’re OK. I have had very many solutions I’ve tried, including an X200 in a Deuce Delux that I think was my ultimate favorite, but I sold it to continue my path of destruction and GAS. Chasing that GAS dragon.

Now I’m thinking I need a tube amp just to have one. I want one under $1000 can play with my FM3 well, and that’s my question: are “pedal platform” amps going to make me happier with the results of the models, or does that have very little to do with it? Would I be best off focusing on the amp making me happy by itself, or ensuring I get some kind of “transparent” or very clean amp with a loop?

Is a high end monitor really that big a difference? I am coming to understand that while I love my fm3 and modeling that sometimes I just want to plug into tubes and play, and not have to adjust presets. Once I plug into the fm3 it always becomes a tweaking purgatory for me, and trying to get back to that tube amp in the room, which I’m almost certain I should just give up on for my own good.

Thoughts appreciated.

Would you be using tube amp models on the FM3, and then also running that modeled amp sound into another tube amp? Or would you be using the FM3 as an effects unit only at that point?

Would you be using tube amp models on the FM3, and then also running that modeled amp sound into another tube amp? Or would you be using the FM3 as an effects unit only at that point?
My ultimate dream would be running the fm3 preamps through it to add some in the room vibes, but I want it to be as good as possible too. I’ve tried some questionable amps in the past that way and I still got he vibe I was playing the modeler still rather than the amp if you know what I mean. Still had to do a lot of tweaking to get it right, and there I am in the rabbit hole again.

I’m currently thinking the Egnater 40 combo — if nothing else I can use the fm3 for effects and recording, and the Egnator will cover a lot of ground when I just want to plug in and keep it super simple…

Unless I can get some feedback on an amp that is better suited to playing fm3 presets through. =)

Why not purchase a solid state power amp and a 1x12 or 2x12 guitar cab? The cab will provide you with the "amp in the room" feel while staying true to the modeled amps. The clean SS power amp will just amplify the signal and allow Fractal's excellent power amp modeling to do its work.

Amp in the room is its own thing. I am full FRFR with my projects. But I've never been able to get the same experience as a roaring guitar cab. It's an issue of the physical properties of a true guitar cab vs an FRFR. The easiest way to achieve that with modeling is to use a real guitar cab in place of IRs. Putting another coloring preamp/power amp section in between the Fractal and the cab won't really increase realism. Although I know people really like the Fryette power amp (it has tubes if you need them... but expensive).

A SS power amp (Crown, QSC, Seymour Duncan) and a solid cab can be had for under your budget through secondhand marketplaces like Craigslist and FB marketplace. No tubes to change, less cables, no zinging reverb tanks in your back seat as you're driving to the gig, easier to rout time based effects after the amp/distorting stages (effects loop still passes through the power amp).

Last edited:
I feel like the modeling [in my experience] is best enjoyed through FRFR, at some point I was like, I give up, and I was confident I wanted to keep my fm3 finally, so I ditched my amps and cabs.

Even after two solid years sticking with the modeler and frfr I find I still suffer the same thing that I struggled with when I started with modelers:
1) Endless tweaking purgatory, I am never satisfied, never quite there. Get a sound I like, and then change it the next day.
2) I’m playing (in between tweaking) and I end up looking down at my fingers, and thinking, wtf is the disconnect I’m experiencing? I truly don’t know how to describe that.

When I’m playing an amp I feel one with it and I get lost in the playing much more easily. I guess that’s it. I suppose the answer I’ve found here hashing it out is that I want an amp again. I wish so badly that I was in the all-in crowd. I dunno why I have this curse. I think an amp can help me get back to the just-playing of it, and then I can use the fm3 when it’s time to record and for effects, or to get to the gig :smile:.

That said, I do still wonder if anyone experienced my struggle and can chime in. It’s a little more than adjusting to it at this point for me though. I’ve done that as best as can be done. One day I’ll buy some Atomic CLR or whatever, but not today.

Thanks!

Got me, for kicks, 2 second hand Fender (single channel) Blues Junior amps for that reason and am quite satisfied, using the FM3 as pedal platform only for blues and roll. Not completely convinced for lead sounds when it comes to rock songs though.
You could try the supro 1624T that has 2 channels. Anyway I suggest that if you get a tube amp, you try find one with 2 or more channels.
PS : for gigs nothing will beat the FM3 to FOH with a backline monitor but at home I like to experiment from time to time

If you tweak settings compulsively on the fm3, what makes you think you wont do the same on a real amp?

Practice “set and forget” regardless of which option you’re using.

I feel like the modeling [in my experience] is best enjoyed through FRFR, at some point I was like, I give up, and I was confident I wanted to keep my fm3 finally, so I ditched my amps and cabs.

Even after two solid years sticking with the modeler and frfr I find I still suffer the same thing that I struggled with when I started with modelers:
1) Endless tweaking purgatory, I am never satisfied, never quite there. Get a sound I like, and then change it the next day.
2) I’m playing (in between tweaking) and I end up looking down at my fingers, and thinking, wtf is the disconnect I’m experiencing? I truly don’t know how to describe that.

When I’m playing an amp I feel one with it and I get lost in the playing much more easily. I guess that’s it. I suppose the answer I’ve found here hashing it out is that I want an amp again. I wish so badly that I was in the all-in crowd. I dunno why I have this curse. I think an amp can help me get back to the just-playing of it, and then I can use the fm3 when it’s time to record and for effects, or to get to the gig :smile:.

That said, I do still wonder if anyone experienced my struggle and can chime in. It’s a little more than adjusting to it at this point for me though. I’ve done that as best as can be done. One day I’ll buy some Atomic CLR or whatever, but not today.

Thanks!
I have an atomic clr, have had it for years now. I used an Alto 212 and then a Yamaha DXR10 before that. I also used a Friedman ASC10 in a cover band. The yamaha was a big step up from the Alto, the Friedman was a small step up from yamaha if I could turn the volume up. The Atomic CLR was a good in between and is super loud and not good in a small room. For instance I used it quite a bit at my old house, in a bigger room where I could turn it up, it wasn't reflecting so quickly off of walls, but for the last four years at my new house in a new room, I don't like the sound anymore. I also play with nice headphones as my available times to play are early mornings and late nights. I do lose feedback which is sad, but i've gotten used to playing as though i'm tracking in a studio.

The point. Try your FRFR in a different room, try it outside, try it turned up loud, etc. Sometimes it isn't your preset settings in the fractal, it's the environment you play in. For instance I love amps but I hate playing amps at Guitar Center. I don't feel comfortable. Subjective environmental comfort plays a bigger role in our preference than we care to admit.

If you tweak settings compulsively on the fm3, what makes you think you wont do the same on a real amp?

Practice “set and forget” regardless of which option you’re using.
I might agree with you, but I generally get to know an amp and am more efficient at least and know what I’m going for. I know that for sure, haha. It seems with modelers it never ever ends, which has a lot to do with me chasing something I am not sure I can attain… like I am chasing an amp in the room :smile:

Don’t get me wrong, sometimes I am all too happy to dive into Edit. It’s fun. I’ve learned a lot on my own in there.

I might agree with you, but I generally get to know an amp and am more efficient at least and know what I’m going for. I know that for sure, haha. It seems with modelers it never ever ends, which has a lot to do with me chasing something I am not sure I can attain… like I am chasing an amp in the room :smile:

Don’t get me wrong, sometimes I am all too happy to dive into Edit. It’s fun. I’ve learned a lot on my own in there.
I had this problem when I first went to FAS with a Standard. I had such a hard time moving to FR because it sounded different. Once I heard what a mic'd cab sounded like through a good monitor it became easier for me to move over.

Endless tweaking is another issue! that you have to make up your mind on what you like, hit store and play your guitar! ;)

If you want amp in the room you need an amp in the room. Closest people seem to get otherwise is the new fender FR10/12.

I went from big loud amps to 4” monitors to headphones and feel very fortunate there was no shock to my “system”. I dialled in sounds I liked and played.

Highly recommend the fender FR before a tube amp. I have a handwired JTM-45 and the hum soon as standby is on is very noticeable lol.

Sorry SS power amp. Lover but they still sound like SS/digital rubbish.
Get a Fryette PS-2A or a PS-100 (you can probably get used ones for less than $1000) and a custom made cab with a Celestion FR12-X200 (they have the cab specs in their website) and you won’t need anything else mate. It’s basically a tube amp feeling with any cab you want. You can literally sound like any record or player you want.

Sorry SS power amp. Lover but they still sound like SS/digital rubbish.
Get a Fryette PS-2A or a PS-100 (you can probably get used ones for less than $1000) and a custom made cab with a Celestion FR12-X200 (they have the cab specs in their website) and you won’t need anything else mate. It’s basically a tube amp feeling with any cab you want. You can literally sound like any record or player you want.
Mm calling bs on account of how many people with years of experience use solid state power amps and get great sounds.

Oh well, I’m yet to see these so called “great sounds” as the ones I’ve seen so far (i.e.: Dave Mustaine) sounded like crap to my ear. I might be extrapolating saying it sounds bad, but what I’m trying to say is that it sounds nowhere near a tube amp tone. Have you ever A/B’ed a Fryette Power Station and a Seymour Duncan PowerStage? If not, I suggest you do so and check the difference for yourself.

One of my signal paths is to 1000 W of SS Matrix; stereo into a pair of traditional 2 x 12 cabinets for that amp in the room stuff (that fucks up my ears)

Another option Clif mentioned is to dispel with the cab and replace with an EQ….of which he provided an example.

Oh well, I’m yet to see these so called “great sounds” as the ones I’ve seen so far (i.e.: Dave Mustaine) sounded like crap to my ear. I might be extrapolating saying it sounds bad, but what I’m trying to say is that it sounds nowhere near a tube amp tone. Have you ever A/B’ed a Fryette Power Station and a Seymour Duncan PowerStage? If not, I suggest you do so and check the difference for yourself.
I didnt buy an axefx to lug tube anything in tandem. I don't want "tube colouration" from a power amp - that's already in the modelling.

For a tube amp: any EVH 50w variant. They play exceptionally well with Fractal IME.

For an FRFR solution, I settled on the Fender FR-12.

Back
Top Bottom