Amp sound comparison

BME

Got my AX8 on Friday and loving it so far. I'm playing through an ISP Stealth power amp through a cab with cab sim and power amp modelling turned off.

I was auditioning amps earlier trying to find a good Brian May sound and was struggling, so YouTube'd a few videos. The below one with Brett Kingman sounded good to my ear, so I tried to dial in his amp settings (01:06 in the vid).

When I chose the exact same amp and replicated the settings in the video, my sound was clean, not even a hint of dirt. Certainly nothing like the sound on the video.

I know my set up is slightly different to Brett's, but the Axe FX and AX8 are supposed to sound the same with the same settings right? Something doesn't quite make sense to me.

Any ideas?

I would bump up input trim until you match the tone in the vid.

He could be hitting the front of the amp harder for various reasons.

It's also been stated a bunch of times in this forum that some of the pots have different values between the two units, so will need to be set differently to achieve the same tone.. Id check the wiki for details.

It's also been stated a bunch of times in this forum that some of the pots have different values between the two units, so will need to be set differently to achieve the same tone.. Id check the wiki for details.

The virtual pot tapers in the amp models would be the same for the same FW revision.

The amp cleans up in the video as soon as he selects a single pickup. It gets hairy with a different selection, but the overdriven sound doesn't really kick in until he turns on the Drive Block set to Treble Booster.

What guitar / pickups are you using?

If you are using the AX-8 with power amp modeling off, and playing an amp that relies on power amp break up for the distortion you will not get the same sound.

Exactly
Why do you turn off power amp sim with ISP? That's a solid state amp isn't it?

Also, you will not get the exact same sound with the cab sim turned off. But the drive should be the same, and when you use external guitar cab, you need to turn cab sim off (as you did)

Last edited:
Exactly
Why do you turn off power amp sim with ISP? That's a solid state amp isn't it?

Also, you will not get the exact same sound with the cab sim turned off. But the drive should be the same, and when you use external guitar cab, you need to turn cab sim off (as you did)

The ISP is a solid state power amp - should I be leaving power amp sim on if I'm using it?

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that all external power amps used with the AX8 sounded better with power amp modelling turned off. I've been getting some great sounds out of it with it turned off anyway.

I haven't tried it with the modelling turned on, so will give it a go later :)

You should definitely turn power amp modeling on. Some amps rely more on power amp saturation than others. AC30 style amps rely heavily on power amp saturation.

Which speaker is in your cab? To me, AC30s only sound right with celestion blue type speakers, but you should be able to dial up something good with any cab.

You should definitely turn power amp modeling on. Some amps rely more on power amp saturation than others. AC30 style amps rely heavily on power amp saturation.

Which speaker is in your cab? To me, AC30s only sound right with celestion blue type speakers, but you should be able to dial up something good with any cab.

Just so I have it right, even using the ISP power amp, I should turn power amp modelling on too?

I'm using a Marshall 1960TV, which has Greenbacks.

Got my AX8 on Friday and loving it so far. I'm playing through an ISP Stealth power amp through a cab with cab sim and power amp modelling turned off.

I was auditioning amps earlier trying to find a good Brian May sound and was struggling, so YouTube'd a few videos. The below one with Brett Kingman sounded good to my ear, so I tried to dial in his amp settings (01:06 in the vid).

When I chose the exact same amp and replicated the settings in the video, my sound was clean, not even a hint of dirt. Certainly nothing like the sound on the video.

I know my set up is slightly different to Brett's, but the Axe FX and AX8 are supposed to sound the same with the same settings right? Something doesn't quite make sense to me.

Any ideas?

Wow that sounds killer!

Just so I have it right, even using the ISP power amp, I should turn power amp modelling on too?

I'm using a Marshall 1960TV, which has Greenbacks.

Yes, your power amp is very sterile and precise, but (guitar) tube power amps are not, so you turn on the tube power amp modeling to get the tubeyness from the modelled tube power amps.

Greenbacks will do fine. Many people like them with Vox amps. (I don't, but that should not really matter :) )

Reactions: BME
Most solid state poweramps are meant to be clean and clear without breakup. Like digital clipping vs tube clipping, I suppose. This is true also with my HD500x and a solid state amp and cab I have. I would usually leave poweramp modeling and even cab modeling too, since it sounded better to me.

Hi Evol,

I'm useing ISP Stealth Pro power amp and 44 magnum power amp with AX8.
Since I always set power amp modeling on and cab modeling off with AX8 and those power amp, I have never tried cab modeling on in case using those power amp.
I will try it because I would like to get better high gain tone for solo use even though my clean and crunch tones sound great.

Thanks.

I got home and tried things through the ISP with power amp modelling turned on - bingo, it did the trick :)

Also pushes the output level up a great deal, which means there's a lot more headroom now and can really crank things up if needed. I had the ISP volume at about 2 o'clock previously to get to gig volume, now I'm only at about 10 o'clock.

Thanks for all the help.

Mokkie, I would definitely recommend doing the same.

Hi Evol,

Since I always set power amp modeling on and cab modeling off with AX8 and those power amp, I have never tried cab modeling on in case using those power amp.
I will try it because I would like to get better high gain tone for solo use even though my clean and crunch tones sound great.

Thanks.
Hi Evol,

Thanks.
I also want to get the isp stealth. are you able to find a good lead sound with isp? I have noticed that using solid state amp (sim cab off) the sound is grainy, acid, compressed, unrealistic.

I also want to get the isp stealth. are you able to find a good lead sound with isp? I have noticed that using solid state amp (sim cab off) the sound is grainy, acid, compressed, unrealistic.

I'm still trying to get better tone for solo use with AX8 and those power amp because I often have to use them at the venue or my environment where I usually play instead of FOH or FRFR.

I believe it's possible because I had a favorit tone with Axe Ultra and almost same environment.
Currently I'm auditioning Tucana, Cornford, Plexy.
Also it has to be different way making the tone if using different guitar like strat type with sss pick up or les paul type with humbucker pick up, right?
I usually prefer solo tone without the drive pedal but when using a guitar with sss I feel the drive pedal gives me better solo tone.
I think it depends on the guitar, right?
Even though the current tone for solo I made is not so bad, I'm keep on trying to get better one and I don't actually hate this.

What type of power amp you use has NO relationship to cab modeling... Turn cab modeling ON if you are using FRFR speakers, otherwise most turn it off. Turn power amp modeling ON if you are using a "flat" power amp (typically solid state).

Back
Top Bottom