Amp sim drive question

inkeyes

Inspired
Just wondering what the drive knob on the amp block simulates for amps which have no pre amp drive control and are just master volume controlled, i.e. fender bassman.
Does it work as a "virtual" preamp drive?
If so, is there a recommended setting to set the drive level to for amps which are purely master volume in real life? (does the axe-fx default to this value when you load a new amp type?)

thanks for the link but I'm talking about master volume amps, so amps with no drive control, just a volume control

On an amp type with no seperate master volume, like the Bassman and most vintage types, the Drive control is your volume control. In those amps the Master should be set at around 4:00 and use the Drive control like the volume control.

I think your question is a bit misleading... You are referring to Non-Master amps, aren't you ?

In that case, Axe's master to around 4 and the drive is the original amps volume.

VegaBaby said:
I think your question is a bit misleading... You are referring to Non-Master amps, aren't you ?

In that case, Axe's master to around 4 and the drive is the original amps volume.

To be clear, that would be 4:00

javajunkie said:
VegaBaby said:

To be clear, that would be 4:00
;)

yeh, sorry, got myself confused there, I mean non-master volume amps. As in old school, no drive knob, no master volume.
If im understanding correctly you're saying that the drive control in the amp block is equivalent to volume knob on a real amp? (for vintage amps) and to emulate these vintage amps the master volume level you be set to about 4 'o' clock?
and for the more modern amps with pre amp drive controls or level and master volume controls, the axe-fx controls are set up in the same way?

inkeyes said:
If im understanding correctly you're saying that the drive control in the amp block is equivalent to volume knob on a real amp? (for vintage amps)
Yes.

and to emulate these vintage amps the master volume level you be set to about 4 'o' clock?
Yes.

and for the more modern amps with pre amp drive controls or level and master volume controls, the axe-fx controls are set up in the same way?
In "more modern amps, the "Drive" control is nothing but the same old pre-MV "Volume" control with a different label.

Wait a minute here, it was my understanding that setting the master volume level to 9.00 emulates the real preamp section. EG for the AC30 sim, set the master to 9.00 and the drive block acts like the actual channel knob on the amp. Where the hell did 4.00 come from!??!?!?!!?

fandyboy said:
Wait a minute here, it was my understanding that setting the master volume level to 9.00 emulates the real preamp section. EG for the AC30 sim, set the master to 9.00 and the drive block acts like the actual channel knob on the amp. Where the hell did 4.00 come from!??!?!?!!?

they said 4:00 not 4.0

javajunkie said:
fandyboy said:

they said 4:00 not 4.0

D'OH!

:oops:

In that case, what does the master volume control do when using these vintage amp sims? shouldnt it just act as an overall amp level control?
Im messing about with the bassman sim, and it seems it really does affect the overall level of overdrive significantly.

inkeyes said:
In that case, what does the master volume control do when using these vintage amp sims?
Exactly the same thing MV does in any amp.

shouldnt it just act as an overall amp level control?
No. If you want to get as close as possible to the sound of the non-MV amp being modeled, set the Master control at approximately 4:00.

Im messing about with the bassman sim, and it seems it really does affect the overall level of overdrive significantly.
Yes. That is why it's there. In this case, you are being given control over more parameters than were present in the original amp. If you don't want the added control, just set the Master at 4:00 and fuhgeddaboutit.

Back
Top Bottom