Amp Presence Setting Missing?

Forgive me if I am missing something. But I can’t for the life of me find the Presence setting for the amp block in FM9-Edit. On the actual unit it’s under advanced in the “Tone and Gain” section right before Depth. But I can’t find it in FM9-Edit. Is it missing and just only available to edit on the unit itself? It’s not in the Ideal section or any other section that I can see. Sorry it’s late and I may be missing something.

Not all amp models have a 'Presence' parameter. Some have a 'High Cut' instead.

Do you have the correct FM9-Edit to match the firmware that you are running? Have you tried running a 'Refresh After New Firmware' in the 'Settings' tab of the editor to get all of the block parameter definitions sync'd?

Forgive me if I am missing something. But I can’t for the life of me find the Presence setting for the amp block in FM9-Edit. On the actual unit it’s under advanced in the “Tone and Gain” section right before Depth. But I can’t find it in FM9-Edit. Is it missing and just only available to edit on the unit itself? It’s not in the Ideal section or any other section that I can see. Sorry it’s late and I may be missing something.
One tip might be to check within Setup whether you're configured for Authentic or Ideal amp modeling. One will provide the actual controls for each amp model as it appears on the actual amp, the other will add features not present on normal amp models for additional tweaking ability.

Not all amp models have a 'Presence' parameter. Some have a 'High Cut' instead.

Do you have the correct FM9-Edit to match the firmware that you are running? Have you tried running a 'Refresh After New Firmware' in the 'Settings' tab of the editor to get all of the block parameter definitions sync'd?
I haven’t tried that refresh and I can when I get home. But I am referring to the advanced tab on the amp where there I can see a presence setting and on the computer screen at the same I don’t see a presence knob anywhere. I can adjust it on the unit itself so I know it’s not an Ideal vs Authentic thing.

One tip might be to check within Setup whether you're configured for Authentic or Ideal amp modeling. One will provide the actual controls for each amp model as it appears on the actual amp, the other will add features not present on normal amp models for additional tweaking ability.
Yeah in this case I can see the presence setting on the unit itself but not on FM9-Edit on the same amp.

Last edited:
Yeah I’m this case I can see the presence setting on the unit itself but not on FM9-Edit on the same amp.
Hmm. Def check the FM9-Edit Setup menu and see if the amp config is set to Ideal, which should provide the presence control...what amp model are you trying to work with? (Will verify and try to help ASAP)

Just looked through several presets, different amps. Sometimes its on the
Ideal Tab, sometimes Tone Tab. Das Metall is on both. Matchbox Chiefman &
Blankenship Leeds do not have Presence on either Tone or Ideal tabs.
So I guess it depends on the model.

Just looked through several presets, different amps. Sometimes its on the
Ideal Tab, sometimes Tone Tab. Das Metall is on both. Matchbox Chiefman &
Blankenship Leeds do not have Presence on either Tone or Ideal tabs.
So I guess it depends on the model.
That’s interesting I am still not home. But maybe I should have checked other amps too. Could you find it on the unit itself under Advanced?
Hmm. Def check the FM9-Edit Setup menu and see if the amp config is set to Ideal, which should provide the presence control...what amp model are you trying to work with? (Will verify and try to help ASAP)
I was using the Morgan AC-20 model. My unit is set to Authentic but I can see a presence setting under Advanced in the Amp block settings on the unit. On FM9-Edit there is no presence setting that I can find. It seems exclusive to on-board editing. I checked Ideal and Authentic plus all the other tabs on the Mac editor and couldn’t find it. Not a big deal just wonder if I’m missing something.

That’s interesting I am still not home. But maybe I should have checked other amps too. Could you find it on the unit itself under Advanced?

I was using the Morgan AC-20 model. My unit is set to Authentic but I can see a presence setting under Advanced in the Amp block settings on the unit. On FM9-Edit there is no presence setting that I can find. It seems exclusive to on-board editing. I checked Ideal and Authentic plus all the other tabs on the Mac editor and couldn’t find it. Not a big deal just wonder if I’m missing something.
I don't believe that amp has a Presence control.

The Ideal controls don't exist on all Amps and some do nothing.

As @Moke mentioned, some will have a High Cut instead.

There is (was) a particular setting in the power amp controls that would cause Presence to become High Cut depending on settings. By default that should match the real amp. I think it's Negative Feedback set to 0, but I'm not 100% sure.

The Blocks Guide says this for the Amp block:

Hi-Cut — Certain amp types (Class-A, etc.) have a high cut control, which darkens the tone as you turn it up. (As of Cygnus [Apr. 2021] the advanced menu of every amp model in fact contains both Presence and Hi-Cut.)

I don't believe that amp has a Presence control.

The Ideal controls don't exist on all Amps and some do nothing.

As @Moke mentioned, some will have a High Cut instead.

There is (was) a particular setting in the power amp controls that would cause Presence to become High Cut depending on settings. By default that should match the real amp. I think it's Negative Feedback set to 0, but I'm not 100% sure.

The Blocks Guide says this for the Amp block:
Okay got it. So does the presence control in the advanced menu do nothing on some amps (AC-20 in my case)? I thought I heard a change but maybe not? Just trying to learn here so I appreciate all the help.

Okay got it. So does the presence control in the advanced menu do nothing on some amps (AC-20 in my case)? I thought I heard a change but maybe not? Just trying to learn here so I appreciate all the help.
Correct. Some controls in Ideal do nothing on some models.

The actual AC-20 has only Volume and Cut knobs, so I'd suspect that Presence doesn't work. The Cut knob is a High Cut.

Yeah amps with no negative feedback (Vox AC, Morgan AC-20, Matchless DC, Tweed Deluxe, Recto Modern mode, etc.) don't have a traditional presence control. They use a low pass filter in the preamp section to shelve off the highs if needed. In the Fractal models, if Negative Feedback is set all the way down to zero, the Presence control becomes a High-Cut control instead.

I am referring to the advanced tab on the amp where there I can see a presence setting and on the computer screen at the same I don’t see a presence knob anywhere. I can adjust it on the unit itself so I know it’s not an Ideal vs Authentic thing.
There are parameters in the Authentic tab on the front panel and in Edit that don't do anything.

There are plenty of instances where controls don't do anything in Ideal mode. That's the nature of the beast. The default mode is Authentic and if you aren't prepared to deal with controls that may not do anything you should use that mode.
and
If the controls are not visible in Authentic then the real amp doesn't have those controls and therefore this is not considered a bug.

Cliff said a little while back that he's thinking of removing those, which I'd assume is because they're a source of confusion. He has a replacement in mind that'd be more streamlined:
Exactly. There should be a Tone page and then a "Tweaks" page. The Tweaks page would contain things that the amp doesn't have but could be modified to have, like a Depth control or a Bright Cap, etc.

There are parameters in the Authentic tab on the front panel and in Edit that don't do anything.

and

Cliff said a little while back that he's thinking of removing those, which I'd assume is because they're a source of confusion. He has a replacement in mind that'd be more streamlined:
Yeah amps with no negative feedback (Vox AC, Morgan AC-20, Matchless DC, Tweed Deluxe, Recto Modern mode, etc.) don't have a traditional presence control. They use a low pass filter in the preamp section to shelve off the highs if needed. In the Fractal models, if Negative Feedback is set all the way down to zero, the Presence control becomes a High-Cut control instead.
Got it! Thanks so much for all the help and information! Here I was tweaking the presence control and thinking it made a difference! Haha well now I know.

I can agree with Cliff changing things around. Because now I am going to have to pay more attention to see if some settings are actually making an audible difference or not doing anything. Since I do most editing on the unit itself.

Back
Top Bottom