Amp model suggestions for worship music (rock)

I think it's the UR. My Axe is put away right now. Had to get back to work. It had the best character of clarity, chime, and break up without touching a thing. I think the Axe is capable of making almost any of the models sound great for worship, but I needed to just pick something. Now that I've got some chime that works with my guitar (custom with DiMarzio humbuckers) I can proceed to tweak things to taste. I imagine at some point I'll pick another amp model and tweak it to death, but there are just too many variables, at least when it comes to worship music. If it were just for me at home I'd probably have just kept my Mark V, but that was not really suitable for a church band with no stage volume.

I think it's the UR. My Axe is put away right now. Had to get back to work. It had the best character of clarity, chime, and break up without touching a thing. I think the Axe is capable of making almost any of the models sound great for worship, but I needed to just pick something. Now that I've got some chime that works with my guitar (custom with DiMarzio humbuckers) I can proceed to tweak things to taste. I imagine at some point I'll pick another amp model and tweak it to death, but there are just too many variables, at least when it comes to worship music. If it were just for me at home I'd probably have just kept my Mark V, but that was not really suitable for a church band with no stage volume.

AC20 is smoking period, worship or not. May not need to look further. I haven't

I use the FET preamp for drive (distortion very low). It seems to give a lot of drive but keeps the clarity.

I love the recent additions: SDD preamp and FET preamp. Indeed, with Drive very low.
They enhance the tone in a subtle, beautiful way. I'm tempted to put the SDD in all my main presets....

From what I've seen, almost all of the worship leaders use Vox amps. The AC-30 is really nice. I've got a Chris Tomlin patch based on that. For some reason, contemporary Christian music seems to have that sort of sound that comes with an amplifier that does not have negative feedback, such as the Voxes. I don't know of any praise teams using Marshall plexis anyway...

BTW, that's mainly what I use mine for - playing on the praise team at church. Lots less to carry!

I just stumbled upon something last night. I was sifting through some of Yek's amps that he put out (thanks) and I came across the Div13 (the first one in the list of amps, but i'm sure any of the 3 would work fine). I went in and put the Tonestack on either the Bogfish or the Cornford and it really beefed up the sound. I changed the cab to stereoultrares and did the .004 -.006 delay trick. I kept the cabs the factory 1x12Div13 model on both sides. I did add some preamp in the cab block, I think it went with the Tape50, 1.0 on both drive and sat.

Amp Drive - 6.0-6.5 I left everything else as is.
-Strat bridge pickup
-input 100%
- FRFR Qsc K12

The key thing for me was working with the Tonestack option, which i never really do. I did think that that the Bogfish and cornford did sound the best though coupled with this amp.

For some reason, contemporary Christian music seems to have that sort of sound that comes with an amplifier that does not have negative feedback, such as the Voxes. I don't know of any praise teams using Marshall plexis anyway.

Lincoln Brewster is usually in the Plexi camp....

Today I actually had a chance to try the Orange model AD30 at our church, both clean and dirty. The notes just pop out at you. I have a two humbucker tele Yamaha pacifica 311MS and neck pickup had this beefy sound, combination had a nice snap and bridge had that grit of a tele, but more toward rock. The AD30 will definitely be one of my go to amps. It worked on all levels for me. I mean there are ton of other amps that work nicely, but if you want one patch with one amp x/y - go with the AD30 - it is very versatile amp. Reacts very well to the volume knob and picking dynamics.

Also the VU meters will help you set levels that translate well not only through headphones, I have AKG K271 studio closed back studio headphones. I maxed the headphone output of the AXE. It gets loud in the headphones, a lot of high frequency content will not get lost in there. Tweak it so that it sound good. Than it should work quite well with the live pa in the church. you will probably still need to get a little bit of highs and lows dialed down live, but it will be obvious and the fix will be easy.

Also what really helps is in the tone tab of the amp block find the low and high frequency and change that usualy to 100hz and maybe 10 000 Hz (possibly even to 8000 Hz) - that reduces boomines and razor sharp highs. For me it works better than the low and high pass filter in the cab block, which I still add there too, just in case :)

all right, but I am going off topic, sorry about that :)

cheers.

J.

Kinda the same here, except I use the Friedman BE instead of the plexi. Then I use drive pedals (TS or BB) for heavier crunch or lead.

I've tried liking the BE on multiple occasions and just could never bond with it. I could never get the mids I wanted - just too much fizz and lows. Maybe I'm gaining it up too much by itself. Anyway, glad it works for you.

Back
Top Bottom