Amp head into Axe FX3

So I've just been watching the Vai rig setup by Thomann, and I got to wondering...I see he's running mono TUBE modules into his Axe FX3 then into power amps. Here's my "thinking": can I run out of my H&K Triamp MK3 into FX3 then out from there into my stereo power amp then out to my cab, WITHOUT destroying my amp? This might well just be an utter brain fart moment...but then again...is it?

You cant come out of your head into an effects unit then into a second power amp. You amp head needs to have a cabinet load on it or you will blow it up.

Doesn't the Triamp have the redbox output which simulates a cabinet and a load? If so you could come out of that but you would have a cabinet sim in a weird spot in your signal chain.

Are you just looking to do stereo output with you rig? Can't you do the FM3 into your Triamp with the 4CM and then run another output into you power amp to power the other side of the sound to make it stereo?

You cant come out of your head into an effects unit then into a second power amp. You amp head needs to have a cabinet load on it or you will blow it up.

Doesn't the Triamp have the redbox output which simulates a cabinet and a load? If so you could come out of that but you would have a cabinet sim in a weird spot in your signal chain.

Are you just looking to do stereo output with you rig? Can't you do the FM3 into your Triamp with the 4CM and then run another output into you power amp to power the other side of the sound to make it stereo?
Well a while back I created the Mother of all Pedalboards where, among other things, I was able to use one the ENGL's (the amp I had at the time) series loops and I put the FM3 that I had then into the "return" and had all manner of things going on.
I have my Axe FX3 in 4CM in my H&K but while the FX3 as a pre and post FX processor works OK, (some effects sound crap), trying to use it as a modeller does not work at all...the H&K's preamps all interact with the FX3's amps.

If you want to use the FM3 as a modeler simply plug it into the fx return of your Triamp. This way the Triamp only supplies the power for you cabinets.

You could keep it connected into the head via 4CM but your grid would have to be reworked so you can have one patch set up to play 4CM and then another patch set up to play the FM3 amp sims through your Triamp. I do this all the time.

A 4CM grid is Input 1 to Output 3, Input 3 to Output 1

To not change any cables and to have your amp sims play through. Your grid should be Input 1 to Output 1

If you want to use the FM3 as a modeler simply plug it into the fx return of your Triamp. This way the Triamp only supplies the power for you cabinets.

You could keep it connected into the head via 4CM but your grid would have to be reworked so you can have one patch set up to play 4CM and then another patch set up to play the FM3 amp sims through your Triamp. I do this all the time.

A 4CM grid is Input 1 to Output 3, Input 3 to Output 1

To not change any cables and to have your amp sims play through. Your grid should be Input 1 to Output 1
I'm using the Axe FX3 now.

So I've just been watching the Vai rig setup by Thomann, and I got to wondering...I see he's running mono TUBE modules into his Axe FX3 then into power amps. Here's my "thinking": can I run out of my H&K Triamp MK3 into FX3 then out from there into my stereo power amp then out to my cab, WITHOUT destroying my amp? This might well just be an utter brain fart moment...but then again...is it?
You can just put your 3 in the fx loop of your amp if you just want effects and don’t need a boost etc . More simple …

If you want effects before and after your amp, yes you need a loadbox for your head.

S

Same deal with grid layout. For some reason I thought FM3, my bad. I use my AXE 3 in both scenarios to get best of both worlds.
Yeah it's weird...I've hooked mine up as per all the videos, and my take away is that when used as an FX processor the pre effects are good, but the loop effects are really uninspirational...any thoughts there?
When I use it in Modeller "mode", the amp models are all affected by the head's preamps, and it's noisy as all hell...nothing like the effect seen on the 4CM videos.

Yeah it's weird...I've hooked mine up as per all the videos, and my take away is that when used as an FX processor the pre effects are good, but the loop effects are really uninspirational...any thoughts there?
When I use it in Modeller "mode", the amp models are all affected by the head's preamps, and it's noisy as all hell...nothing like the effect seen on the 4CM videos.
Because you can't have the GRID on your AXE set up for 4CM and expect the amp sims to sound good as they are stomping all over your HK Triamps preamp section. You need to leave the cables connected the same way as you have for 4CM but you need to create a separate patch on your AXE 3 that has the GRID to look like this Input 1 > any preamp effects> Amp SIM BLOCK>Post effects >OUT 1

Again, you CANNOT have the same 4CM grid layout that you use for 4CM that you will want to use for AXE 3 amp sims with your HK only providing the power amp.

See attached pictures. 1st pic is how your 4cm should look on your grid in relation to your inputs and outputs.
2nd picture is how your grid will look if you want to use amp sims of the AXE 3 and only have your Triamp as the power amp. AGAIN YOU WILL NOT NEED TO MOVE ANY CABLES IN THIS ARRANGEMENT. One preset on AXE 3 will be your 4CM setup to use your Triamp as the main source of tone. The next preset will allow you to use the AXE 3 amp sims. Make sense?

Your effects might sound like crap if you don't have your output blocks the same in your 4CM patch. You might have the first line output block at a lower volume which will choke off all of your post effects in 4CM. You also might have your one of your output on the front of the AXE 3 turned down. I run my output 1 and output 3 full blast all the time in 4CM

IMG_1548.jpgIMG_1784.jpg

Because you can't have the GRID on your AXE set up for 4CM and expect the amp sims to sound good as they are stomping all over your HK Triamps preamp section. You need to leave the cables connected the same way as you have for 4CM but you need to create a separate patch on your AXE 3 that has the GRID to look like this Input 1 > any preamp effects> Amp SIM BLOCK>Post effects >OUT 1

Again, you CANNOT have the same 4CM grid layout that you use for 4CM that you will want to use for AXE 3 amp sims with your HK only providing the power amp.

See attached pictures. 1st pic is how your 4cm should look on your grid in relation to your inputs and outputs.
2nd picture is how your grid will look if you want to use amp sims of the AXE 3 and only have your Triamp as the power amp. AGAIN YOU WILL NOT NEED TO MOVE ANY CABLES IN THIS ARRANGEMENT. One preset on AXE 3 will be your 4CM setup to use your Triamp as the main source of tone. The next preset will allow you to use the AXE 3 amp sims. Make sense?

Your effects might sound like crap if you don't have your output blocks the same in your 4CM patch. You might have the first line output block at a lower volume which will choke off all of your post effects in 4CM. You also might have your one of your output on the front of the AXE 3 turned down. I run my output 1 and output 3 full blast all the time in 4CM

View attachment 113742View attachment 113744
Thanks for your continued interest in my question...very much appreciated. I actually do have 2 routings set up...one for the Axe FX as an effects processor, and one for it as a modeller, so I understand that need. I've used the "modeller" routing with "ins" and "outs", and also with "send" and "return", and neither work as I've seen others. I've used guitar cables, and XLR-TRS, and no difference.
The FM3 gave me no issues, and I wonder if that was because my amp had a separate loop to just use the "return" from. This 4CM just doesn't seem to be producing the desired results.
On another tack, the FX in the loop, pitch/delay etc don't give very pleasing results. I'll keep plugging away at it because I find it hard to believe that this unit can't do this. Thanks again...I really appreciate it.

Thanks for your continued interest in my question...very much appreciated. I actually do have 2 routings set up...one for the Axe FX as an effects processor, and one for it as a modeller, so I understand that need. I've used the "modeller" routing with "ins" and "outs", and also with "send" and "return", and neither work as I've seen others. I've used guitar cables, and XLR-TRS, and no difference.
The FM3 gave me no issues, and I wonder if that was because my amp had a separate loop to just use the "return" from. This 4CM just doesn't seem to be producing the desired results.
On another tack, the FX in the loop, pitch/delay etc don't give very pleasing results. I'll keep plugging away at it because I find it hard to believe that this unit can't do this. Thanks again...I really appreciate it.
Try resetting your factory settings as you might have something boogered up in the input/ouput settings in the setup block that would be hard to easily see otherwise.

The AXE 3 does all the pre and post effects in spades as this has worked flawlessly for me with numerous high end tube heads.

Try resetting your factory settings as you might have something boogered up in the input/ouput settings in the setup block that would be hard to easily see otherwise.

The AXE 3 does all the pre and post effects in spades as this has worked flawlessly for me with numerous high end tube heads.
I shall definitely do that, and I'll let you know how it goes.

I shall definitely do that, and I'll let you know how it goes.
Hi, again. How do you go about changing output volumes? I've followed the cabling as per the manual, plus done the stuff required in I/O, but Inputs 1 & 4 seem to be overloading...sounds like the cones in the cab are crapping out. What am I obviously missing now?

Your Output controls are on the front of your AXE 3 you have FOUR of them. Also on your grid you can click on the outputs there and raise or lower.

Question are you connected to a computer for your editing or are you trying to do it all with the AXE display?

Can you start off at a simple step. Instead of 4CM Can you just connect one of your output 1 with your amps return and a standard Grid Block with INPUT 1 > AMP SIM > Output 1 and see how that sounds???

Back
Top Bottom