Amp channel switching & effect on/off with AxFx 3 via midi?

Rocky Gallo

Inspired
I'am presently running my Mesa MRK V-35. I would like to do away with the amp footswitch to get more pedalboard real astate... lol. I'm going to use either the EM midi switcher or the Voodoo control switch to convert the amp. I know the Ax will switch the amp channels because I have set up my EVH head so it changed. The Mesa is set up to recieve the pre-amp line from the Ax from output 3. I run the amp dry and mic'd, and run the Ax L&R from output 1 wet all to FOH. I use a filter block for my lead boost via my presets in the Ax... Is it possible that when I engage the filter block in the preset that I could have it turn on solo switch on the amp via midi? It would be nice to hit one switch to engage both.

I have the same issue with a MarkV:25, also using a VooDoo Control. From what I see, a MIDI block seems to work at the Scene level. So I would setup the correct MIDI messages for a given scene and it should work?
But I have a question: How did you get the VooDoo Control to work? I have it in my MIDI chain, which includes the AxeFXIII but when I do "Test" in the MIDI block editor, nothing happens. I am sending the CC to the correct MIDI channel and value, which I have tested and works with my Behringer FCB1010. But I want to migrate as much as the MIDI into the AxeFXIII at this point. My AxeFX is on MIDI channel 1 and the VooDoo Switcher is on Channel 3. noithing happensat all. I know that he AxeFX works in my MIDI chain because I can change presets via PC change from my FCB1010.
Unsure what's going on...

Last edited:
I have the same issue with a MarkV:25, also using a VooDoo Control. From what I see, a MIDI block seems to work at the Preset level, not at the Scene level. So I don't have an answer other than a dedicated preset, which is not great.
But I have a question: How did you get the VooDoo Control to work? I have it in my MIDI chain, which includes the AxeFXIII but when I do "Test" in the MIDI block editor, nothing happens. I am sending the CC to the correct MIDI channel and value, which I have tested and works with my Behringer FCB1010. But I want to migrate as much as the MIDI into the AxeFXIII at this point.
The "Midi block" is actually called the "Scene midi block" specifically because it sends midi per scene. I think maybe you're not understanding how it works. The values assigned can be different per scene.

If the Test button isn't working then something is wrong somewhere in the setup.

Note that this is not the answer the OP is looking for, which is the he wants to send midi while simultaneously engaging/bypassing a specific effect. Although he could do that with scenes...

I'am presently running my Mesa MRK V-35. I would like to do away with the amp footswitch to get more pedalboard real astate... lol. I'm going to use either the EM midi switcher or the Voodoo control switch to convert the amp. I know the Ax will switch the amp channels because I have set up my EVH head so it changed. The Mesa is set up to recieve the pre-amp line from the Ax from output 3. I run the amp dry and mic'd, and run the Ax L&R from output 1 wet all to FOH. I use a filter block for my lead boost via my presets in the Ax... Is it possible that when I engage the filter block in the preset that I could have it turn on solo switch on the amp via midi? It would be nice to hit one switch to engage both.
See my previous post for one option (scenes and Scene Midi block)...

Look into Control Switch Midi. You can use a Control Switch to both engage/bypass the Filter block and also send midi.

Agreed my suggestion was Scene level not block level.
meanwhile, other than the MIDI channel in Setup/MIDI/General, what other settings might impact the fact that my MIDI block doesn't work? As mentioned, the Axe responds to MIDI PC changes from my pedal board. I see no other setup controls other than whatever I type in the MIDI block itself.

Agreed my suggestion was Scene level not block level.
meanwhile, other than the MIDI channel in Setup/MIDI/General, what other settings might impact the fact that my MIDI block doesn't work? As mentioned, the Axe responds to MIDI PC changes from my pedal board. I see no other setup controls other than whatever I type in the MIDI block itself.
The Scene Midi block sends midi, so the Axe Fx working on received midi is irrelevant.

You need to make sure:

• Midi connection from Axe Fx midi out to Mesa midi in is good
  • Scene Midi block is sending the correct midi on the correct channel (the the Mesa is listening on)
  • Mesa is correctly setup to use the midi sent to it
You can install a midi monitor like Midi-OX on your computer and use it (via Midi over USB from the Axe Fx) to confirm that the Test button is in fact sending the correct data on the correct channel.

Bullets #2 and #3 are wotkjing 100% when I send the MIDI CC's from the Behringer FCB1010. So the conclusion is that the AxeFX MIDI block doesn't send anything, or it sends it in the wrong place. I was just going to ask about a utility to check what MIDI message is actually being sent but you are clearly ahead of me. Trying now. You are very helpful, thank you.

MidiOx crashes Axe-Edit III. But Bome MIDI Translator works. All my devices sending CC messages are seen in the MIDI monityor window but NOT the AxeFXIII. I just have no idea. Is the MIDI Block in the grid supposed to be connected to anything? I have it freely floating right now.

So I got it to work, but I had to connect the MIDI to OUT and not THRU. I always use THRU when I am in a MIDI chain, but the Fractal Audio Wiki page sepcifically says that Thru doesn't send any messages generated by the AxeFX. Going to see if the rest of my MIDI chain is affected, which I suspect it will but let's see.

All working. Thank you. Genuinely awesome device the AxeFXIII. I've owned it for 2 weeks now, and I had high expectations, but it goes way beyond.

All working. Thank you. Genuinely awesome device the AxeFXIII. I've owned it for 2 weeks now, and I had high expectations, but it goes way beyond.
User support is pretty great so long as the query person does work on their end and doesnt descend to madness haha. Glad its working for you! My only midi device is an MC8 to control the axe, but I’ll keep the out/thru in mind should that change.

Im sure others will find this thread useful as well.

This is just standard MIDI behavior unrelated to the axe.

MIDI thru passes whatever came in at the MIDI in to the rest of the chain.

MIDI out is for MIDI messages generated by the device that has the out socket. Some devices will also pass messages received at the MIDI in to the out, but that can't be assumed.

So I got it to work, but I had to connect the MIDI to OUT and not THRU. I always use THRU when I am in a MIDI chain, but the Fractal Audio Wiki page sepcifically says that Thru doesn't send any messages generated by the AxeFX. Going to see if the rest of my MIDI chain is affected, which I suspect it will but let's see.
The THRU only passes midi that's coming to IN.

As @sean.e said, that's standard behavior.

Some devices use a "soft" thru or even merge midi streams...

Ok, I have been working on this for about 3 hours now. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. All I want to do is change the channels and turn off and on the solo switch on the Mesa mk V 35. I am using the Voodoo control switch, I am coming from the Midi Out of the Axfx III, into to midi in of the Voodoo switcher and out the midi multi out with a cable made to work with the V-35. I placed the midi block in my preset. I have tried PC and CC and when I try the test nothing. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong? I think I will have to use a control switch function. But I can't get any thing to change?

Ok, I have been working on this for about 3 hours now. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. All I want to do is change the channels and turn off and on the solo switch on the Mesa mk V 35. I am using the Voodoo control switch, I am coming from the Midi Out of the Axfx III, into to midi in of the Voodoo switcher and out the midi multi out with a cable made to work with the V-35. I placed the midi block in my preset. I have tried PC and CC and when I try the test nothing. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong? I think I will have to use a control switch function. But I can't get any thing to change?
Does it work using the buttons on the switcher itself?

You might want to also contact Voodoo Lab support. I tried helping Lance Keltner last year and we could not get it to work even after resetting it.

He got in touch with them and they got it working by resetting which we had already done :(

Back
Top Bottom