Amp/Cab/Effect Question

msmith886

Inspired
Are there any books, sites or video's that go in depth about different amps, cabs and effects. With so many choices I want to know more about what amp's, cabs or effects may sound or do etc. Example or what I am meaning is what one may turn the amp volume up to get the sweet spot or which one's maybe associated with certain sounds.

With all this said yes I do know a lot of about different gear and know a lot is personal preference but I figured I would ask and see if there are any resources I can check out and study to learn more.

For amps, check out these amp-specific threads @yek has been writing. Each thread talks about the real amp, the settings found on the real amp, and some demo videos.

For effects, hopefully Yek will create some effect threads. You can find a lot of info on the wiki. And don't neglect the Axe-Fx II manual, which is currently the best resource for knowing what each parameter on each effect does on the AX8.

I'm not sure Cab IRs really need a video or in-depth explanation. There aren't too many parameters in the cab block, it's all really based on the quality of the IR you're using. Cab packs (3rd party or from FAS) usually come with in depth documentation about mics used, etc. There may some value in learning about guitar cabs in general, as in closed vs open, 1x12 vs 4x12, birch vs other tone woods, V30s vs Alnico, etc.

....... I want to know more about what amp's, cabs or effects may sound or do etc. .....

Although their audio is not the best, YouTube could be a big resource to see amps and effects demonstrated and tweaked with. Just remember, that everyone making those demo/reviews is the expert ....... just ask them!

Back
Top Bottom