Amp Block Weirdness

cemusic

Inspired
***RESOLVED***
Please see next post

Axe Fa IIXL+
FW 7.00 beta

Something that seems weird to me is happening with the amp Blocks Library. Although I have been using Axe Fx since the Ultra days, the Blocks Library is not something I use a ton, so maybe I am missing something.

I have compiled an amp blocks library of 11 settings, all with names like “Badass Marshall” and Carr Jazz,” so I have some idea what the amp should be, etc. But now when I recall (in Axe Edit 3.12.3) blocks I named Carr Jazz, Nice Vox Lead, Matchless Country and 2 others, the amp type is Deluxe Tweed instead of the one I originally selected, all with same settings as each other.

Also, If I select any amp block from a “Y” amp page, it changes back to “X.”

As I said, I don’t use Blocks a ton, so I could easily be missing something…?

Last edited:
Axe Fa IIXL+
FW 7.00 beta

Something that seems weird to me is happening with the amp Blocks Library. Although I have been using Axe Fx since the Ultra days, the Blocks Library is not something I use a ton, so maybe I am missing something.

I have compiled an amp blocks library of 11 settings, all with names like “Badass Marshall” and Carr Jazz,” so I have some idea what the amp should be, etc. But now when I recall (in Axe Edit 3.12.3) blocks I named Carr Jazz, Nice Vox Lead, Matchless Country and 2 others, the amp type is Deluxe Tweed instead of the one I originally selected, all with same settings as each other.

Also, If I select any amp block from a “Y” amp page, it changes back to “X.”

As I said, I don’t use Blocks a ton, so I could easily be missing something…?
Ok, just after I hit 'send' with this post, i had an idea which proved correct.

The settings I wanted to access with the block were created on the Y side. Loading a block from the library automatically defaults to X for some reason, so just selecting Y revealed the setup I wanted to save.

Never mind! I'll leave this post up--maybe it will help someone else.

Cheers!

The block library saves the block. A block contains X and Y, so it will load both X and Y when recalled.

You can mix and match X and Y to create new blocks as follows:

1. Insert Amp blocks 1 and 2 into your preset.
2. Recall your first Block Library block as Amp 1
3. Copy "X" from that block to the clipboard*
4. Paste that state to X of Amp 2*
5. Recall your second Block Library block as Amp 1
6. Copy "Y" from that block to the clipboard*
7. Paste that state to Y of Amp 2*

Now save your newly assembled "Amp 2" block to the library so you have the desired XY amp as needed.
You can also copy and paste Amp 2 to Amp 1 at this point if you only need one amp block in the preset ;-)

(* This function is found in the XY dropdown in Axe-Edit's lower left corner.)

I think the OP was reffering to which state is active when you recall a block, and IIRC a block also contains scene information so if it's saved for example with X on scene 1 and Y on scene 2 it will be recalled this way.
You can mix and match X and Y to create new blocks as follows:

1. Insert Amp blocks 1 and 2 into your preset.
2. Recall your first Block Library block as Amp 1
3. Copy "X" from that block to the clipboard*
4. Paste that state to X of Amp 2*
5. Recall your second Block Library block as Amp 1
6. Copy "Y" from that block to the clipboard*
7. Paste that state to Y of Amp 2*

Now save your newly assembled "Amp 2" block to the library so you have the desired XY amp as needed.
You can also copy and paste Amp 2 to Amp 1 at this point if you only need one amp block in the preset ;-)

(* This function is found in the XY dropdown in Axe-Edit's lower left corner.)
Quicker way also valid for the ax8 (no need to use two amp blocks):
1. Insert an Amp block into your preset
2. Recall your first Amp Library Block
3. Copy X or Y from that block to the clipboard
4. Recall your second Amp Library Block
5. Paste to X or Y

Last edited:
Who'da thought that the Block Library saves whole Blocks? Sheesh!;)

I see now for my purposes, the Copy X/Y to Clipboard function is my friend...

cemusic, I may not be understanding well how you use the amp blocks. But based on how you've described the issue, it SOUNDS like you don't generally use different amps in the X and Y slots. So, assuming that's true, here's a suggestion...

Perhaps when you've dialed in your amp choices (whether in X position, OR Y position) you should then copy X to Y (or vice-versa) so that you've got identical amp setups in each position. Then, save the block.

That way, when you use an amp block, you can't go wrong later, when you plug the amp block into a new preset.

In addition, you've got a good start on a tweaking methodology, going forward, because you can save your untweaked amp (in X, for example), tweak experimentally that amp in the Y spot, and continually compare 'em, to see if it's in fact improving, or devolving w/ your tweaks.

Back
Top Bottom